News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What Ruger 10/22 model?

Started by snatiep, April 29, 2014, 08:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatiep

Hello Everyone!

I'm just itching to buy my first Ruger 10/22 so I can attend my first Appleseed shoot!

After looking on Ruger's website I'm not sure which model of 10/22 to purchase? 

Which is the most recommended model?

Thank you for your thoughts and comments!

Nate

eaglescouter

Any 10/22 can do the job.

Tech Sights or a low power scope are in my opinion a required upgrade.
A sling swivel/stud in the forearm is another required upgrade.

Personally I prefer a longer barrel, thus I opted for the 10/22T (then later upgraded to a 24" barrel)
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

snatiep

Thank you sir for the prompt reply!

I'll try to find the longest barrel 10/22 I can then and get the Tech sights and sling.

I haven't signed up for an event yet, but am excited to already!

Thank You

snatiep

Quote from: eaglescouter on April 29, 2014, 08:11:33 PM
Personally I prefer a longer barrel, thus I opted for the 10/22T

Were you able to still add the tech sights to the bull barrel of the 10/22 Target?

eaglescouter

Yes, Tech Sights makes a barrel adapter sleeve specifically for the Ruger 10/22 bull barrel.

It uses blue locktight to hold the sleeve in place.  It was a reasonably simple process to do the install.  First install the rear sight.  Then turn the rifle upside down on the countertop and slide the insert (with front sight already attached) onto the barrel.  Now the front and rear sights are holding up the rifle and they are perfectly aligned with each other.  Pull sleeve off, apply thin coat of blue lock tight to the sleeve and slide it back on.  Let cure for 24 hours then 'to the range with you!'.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

snatiep

I can't thank you enough for your help!

Now to find a 10/22 target!

Nate

BigJ

Nate, I have a Tech Sight bull barrel adapter and front sight that came off a target rifle I no longer own.  You're more than welcome to both.  Only cost is go get out there, use it and earn your Rifleman patch :)

Shoot me your address and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.   

Pitmaster

You should also look at the Marlind 792--LTR and the new 50th Ruger 10/22 Anniverary model.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Flighttime

Get the marlin 795 appleseed ltr and get a free weekend appleseed!....i have three 10 22s but i am impressed with the marlin ltr....light weight.....extremely accurate with cci mini mag hps.........and all ready for appleseed with no mods!
"Sad will be the day when the American people forget their traditions and their history, and no longer remember that the country they love, the institutions they cherish, and the freedom they hope to preserve, were born in the throes of armed resistance to tyranny and nursed in the rugged arms of fearless men"----Roger Sherman

"If you know how to shoot, and are quite ready to shoot, the chances are you won't have to shoot."----General John J. Pershing

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Pitmaster on April 29, 2014, 08:27:43 PM
You should also look at the Marlind 792--LTR and the new 50th Ruger 10/22 Anniverary model.

+1  The Marlin 795 LTR, is probably the way to go.  http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ltr-marlin.html
The 50th anniv. Ruger should be swell as well - could send a PM to Mac66 on the forum, he came up with it.  But I'm not sure when they're available.

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]