News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Lawrence, MI

Started by Sheepdog, September 29, 2008, 02:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheepdog

Great Shoot...The first in Michigan! If you were there and are reading this, please feel free to comment. Hit the 'reply' tab and type away.

This shoot came about in true 7th step form. John had attended a 4/19 shoot this year. He returned home inspired.  With a good piece of ground, he made arrangements for a friend with a dozer to 'push up' a berg and scheduled an Appleseed.

About 18 shooters each day, with almost all attending for both days. Thanks for coming out to one and all.

Special thanks to Tread Carefully (S/B) and his family for putting the staffers up and the delicious dinner. You guys took great care of us!
We had over 20% of the attendees score Rifleman and many more progressing rapidly.  Once the word gets out, watch Michigan take off. Hunting is a real priority there. Many are trying to put meat in the freezer this time of year.

There was talk of a winter time AS. A run-what-you-brung type of thing. Carry all your stuff in, one trip, and shoot the AS during the daylight on SAT/SUN. Test your mettle, your gear, enhance your skills, honor our vets, camp in the snow...does it get any better than that?

My privilege to contribute to the Appleseed Program,
Sheepdog
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

Garand69

Excellent work Sheepdog and TC!

Any Rifleman yet??

Winter Appleseed sounds like a hoot, Due to my Construction based job, it is the easiest time for me to schedule anything! Of course Appleseed+Winter+Camping should involve a campfire, and since we passed that Appleseed Resolution 2-1A at Chilli, it would be wrong to have an Appleseed Campfire without S'mores ;D

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

TreadCarefully

4 Riflemen out of 18 (and a fifth with his patch already). Pretty good percentage!

Thanks again to John and his crew for getting the range ready for us. Excellent work!
Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

johniim

I would like to thank TreadCarefully, Sheepdog, Dinky Dao, and Beefree for all the excelent instruction. The only things that would have made it any better would be a frost before the shoot (reduce the skeeters), more people, and for me to score at least 8 more points on the AQT 202 was the best I did.

Dutch-MI

Thank you for everyone who volunteered to put this program on.  I was very impressed with the efficency of time - I never felt like I was standing around waiting for the next exercise.  I couldn't believe how fast an entire two days of training went.  The instructors were very helpful and hands-on.  The advice that was given was in a consultative manner and I never felt awkward to ask what I was doing wrong.  Even though I didn't achieve a Rifleman certification, I will implement the techniques and hone my skills for the next time I go.  It was great to receive the take home materials so you didn't have to hand write what you were learning in the field.

colycat

Dutch,

Welcome aboard.  It took me 3 AS's to make rifleman, with a lot of practice in between.  Flew of to CA twice as there were none near me.  Now that you are online with us, do not be a stranger. OK.

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Pappy

MMMMMM SSMMMMOORRRRRESS, Just a thought wow. Yes a cool weather job can be interesting. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

slim

I'd like to see a cold weather AS somewhere around the MidWest. We've certainly had enough hot ones!

We're no strangers to snow and cold.... are the Red Coats going to kindly wait for Spring? We have to be able to shoot (and survive) without being hampered by the elements. Sub-zero if need be. Least there'll be no skeeters! I like the idea of the winter time AS and a "run-what-you-brung" in the snow sounds like a lot of fun for the Great Lakes Region folks. We'll be "treading thin ice" to keep it AS as it sounds like more of a winter field training exercise than an Appleseed. But, I'm sure we could work something out.

Well Sheepdog... you know what happens when you come up with a good idea!

Sheepdog

Yes, "no good deed goes unpunished." I'm told the planning is in the works for an instructor development shoot real soon. I won't have trouble getting the boyz from illinoiz to sign on. Proably should plan for January...when things slow down a bit. I'm retired so when I look at my watch it says.."September...almost October."

johniim

A two day IBC type shoot in the midwest count me in (as an attendee only) january sounds great but I won't be able to use my three favorite excuses "the sun/sweat was in my eyes" and "the bugs distracted me" 

Sheepdog

SIGHT TOOLS?

Did anyone loose or find an AR-15 sight tool? Let me know. I came up with an extra 5 prong and lost a 4 prong.
Would loke to get that sorted out. Thanks, SheepDog

johniim

I remember the father/son team next to me had ARs and there was also the guy in the center near the appletree not sure how to contact anyone that isn't here on the forum

Low-speed

Ok, you've got Dutch and I all fired up to get out and do some shooting now!

Truly an excellent course.  Learned more than I could have ever imagined in 2 days.  Our instructors did an excellent job.  A lot of fun too!

Searching for a spot up here for you to hold an Appleseed in my local area.  Hoping I can get the local gunshop owner involved since he only stands to benefit.  (He's already benefitted from a couple sales he wouldn't have had if I weren't all exited about this program!) 

I'm kind of a whimp with the weather, but I might have get over that and hit a winter appleseed.  =)

Put em' on, strap em' up, and move em' out.

TreadCarefully

Dutch-MI and Low-speed, please let us know what you were shooting or something else that will let us put a face with your handle. Glad you guys had a good time. We'll see you at the next one in Michigan.

Dutch-MI

Well, I started with a Walther G-22 bullpup, went to a Ruger 10/22 with POS factory sights, and thankfully ended up utilizing Sheep Dog's AR with the 22lr conversion.

Fred

Dutch, that's the story of many a fair maiden who shows up for the ball in a fancy impractical gown, and soon has to change to something more practical, and winds up enjoying the event... ;D ;D

I take it the humble LTR was a worthy gown to wear? ;D ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Low-speed

Quote from: TreadCarefully on October 02, 2008, 12:27:56 AM
Dutch-MI and Low-speed, please let us know what you were shooting or something else that will let us put a face with your handle. Glad you guys had a good time. We'll see you at the next one in Michigan.

Scott here, the short guy to Dutch's right, ruger 10-22 with tech sights and an international stock that made it look somewhat similar to an Enfield, LA Policegear ballcap.

TreadCarefully

Thanks guys. Low-speed was our first Rifleman of the weekend, and I think Dutch would have gotten a patch too if he hadn't started with that cool space gun.

Now what do we have to do to get the second Michigan Appleseed put together?

Sheepdog

Thanks everyone for checking in. As an instructor (BI), We enjoy hearing from all who check in. Yes we like the warm fuzzys, Thanks. Your constructive criticism is welcome too.

But now we have work to do. 7th step, spread the word, network with your fellow ASdrs, charter this program in your state, work to find venues, practice, study the history, dive into the fourm and make a difference. The commitment is far less than on 4/19/75 or the eight years that followed. This is truely a program where you can make a difference. Look what it first did for you!

These are exciting times. Awaken!

Sheepdog

Low-speed

TC, I know Dutch and I are exploring a couple angles.  He's got a possible chunk of property near Big Rapids?

Safety Question- what kind of bullet stop is required for the range?  Seems to me there is a ridge at the far end of the property.  In addition, it's well wooded.  They hunt there with no apparent worry about stray rounds, but there is no official range or bullet stop.  Dutch mentioned there may be one at the front of the property, but he needs to look it over first.

I'm searching my local area too.  Need a little time to find that right person with the right property and the right attitude.

SD- "work to find venues, practice, study the history, dive into the fourm and make a difference"

That's my plan.  Just need some time to execute.  =)

"This is truely a program where you can make a difference. Look what it first did for you!" 

Amen brother.

Fred

Guys, we need a berm at least 4' high - higher is better - directly behind the target line...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Sheepdog

Bring a couple Fords. They make good bullet traps. There about 4 feet tall too.

survivaldoc

Garand69 and Sheepdog,
  thanks for continuing to be the points for Illinois AS.
Any plans for the upcoming Indiana events for you guys?
Am trying to get a weekend off from the ER to atend before winter sets in the midwest.
Take care and hope to see y'all soon.
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams, Father of the American Revolution

johniim

Low-speed and Dutch practicing the seventh step I knew nthere was a reason I liked you guys. If you build your own range you can get there early and claim the far left spot so you don't have to worry about catching anyones brass.

Low-speed

Quote from: johniim on October 04, 2008, 12:36:13 AM
Low-speed and Dutch practicing the seventh step I knew nthere was a reason I liked you guys. If you build your own range you can get there early and claim the far left spot so you don't have to worry about catching anyones brass.

lol

Hadn't thought of that benefit, but now that you point it out....

Took a little wander around the yard yesterday and figured out I do have enough room to build a small range on my own property.  It's going to take some work though.  Need to move the dog kennel.  That, in and of itself, will not be easy.  Probably 15 posts, buried fencing, heavy dog coop....  Might need to haul dirt in to make the berm too.  My land is already pretty low.  Got a huge tree that should come down too.

Good project for next spring.

Anybody have a good link to laws regarding Shooting Ranges?  I'm mostly wondering how close the nearest occupied building (that I don't own) can be?

BeeFree

Hello Appleseeders,

It was a pleasure to see old friends and meet new ones at John's Range.  I am thrilled to see how many people got home and got online!  Take that Seventh Step...

When my atty returns from arbitration out-of-state on Tues., I will get a link for you re: range laws in MI.  Glad to see people getting fired up about bringing more AS to MI... even in winter (Mr.BeeFree thinks that is terrific...I think ya'all are nuts, but I'll be happy to set it up for you, and then I'll have to come just so you can laugh at me proning out in the snow...and discovering I can't see over it to the target, again). 

LowSpeed - which club has the 600 yd range?  Can you send me a link for their site?  I am trying to put together a list of as many of the clubs in MI that I can get contacts for - so we can get some IBCs and April 19th set up ASAP, since the bigger clubs (with the KD ranges) tend to set up their calendars so far in advance we'll be trying for any weekend in 2010, if we wait til january '09 to talk to them...   

BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

TreadCarefully

Quote from: survivaldoc on October 03, 2008, 08:28:09 PM
Garand69 and Sheepdog,
  thanks for continuing to be the points for Illinois AS.
Any plans for the upcoming Indiana events for you guys?
Am trying to get a weekend off from the ER to atend before winter sets in the midwest.
Take care and hope to see y'all soon.

Sheepdog will be with me at Wabash next weekend.

DENNIS

HI, and I thought it was a great thing with great teaching and quite a value.........I guess I was the person referred to as guy by the tree with an AR(I THOUGHT A 1000$ GUN WOULD SHOOT BETTER HA HA) ANYway, SD told me I needed a higher front sight post after I put mine down all the way A2-STyle and the last I saw of your sight tool(thanks) was handing it back to you. I think the guy on my right may have been  an A1(parts gun?). Dang I think he was doubling towards the end,
       oN THE SECOND DAY things I think were coming together just before the centerfire-nayber fiasco, wich takes nothing away from my appreciation for Jon hosting the event..and also aprecitavo for the 22 and ammo even tho had trouble with scope....had plenty more firepower in the car but no rimfire.............still learned alot and won't be satisfied till I get my patch w/my LR308 .........Hope that  helps with the tool issue SD...Thanks TC and DD and SD and BF....for  everything!!!                                                                         
       ps...next time I will put tape around my targets in the beginning  and to those I helped with holes in their targets....sorry again  and no charge............keep shootin........DENNIS