News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

El Paso TX Appleseed OCT 18-19

Started by WestTx, September 27, 2008, 02:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestTx

Rifleman. That says it all.

Scout

Anyone out west, I will need you for this shoot. We want to break in a new range and really make a good showing here. I am coming in to SB this one and I can sure use some help from a couple of more instructors, and a huge crowd of shooters. If you can't make it, but you are out west, please help me with talking it up and handing out the fliers posted above.

It is going to be a bang up event, and I look forward to seeing my Appleseed Family out there. :)
Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

funfaler

WOW!

I just got a tour of this facility....Very nice!!

There is room for hundreds of Appleseeders.   

A very nice club house, with lunch on site, some great covered outside lunch area.

Covered lines, out of the sun.

Room to go out to 500+ yards.

Super nice people, all around!

Did I say that this is a very nice facility? 

This needs to be a place for 4-6 Appleseeds annually, and 3-4 Instructor courses a year. 

Did I say that this is a very nice facility? 

This site/location/date can use some promotions help, via the web.   If there is anyone in the El Paso area that can lend WestTX a hand on local promotions, that would be appreciated. 

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

wcmartin1

Here's another flyer you can use as well.

Already have a few of these strategically placed and will hand out some more next week in the Permian Basin.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

SamD

WestTx

Thanks all. I have some up in Las Cruces at the Sportsman's Warehouse. Signs in all the 3 gun shops as well as flyers/registration forms. What am I forgetting?

Scout

Make sure it gets listed in all the newspaper and radio station and TV website community calendars. You can just go to the local paper or radio and TV station website, find community calendar and submit the date and a brief description of the event and it should be listed for the next month on their calendars.
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

WestTx

http://www.tsra.com/?p=page&id=105
Also is listed on the TSRA page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I'm beginning to become excited.
El Paso Inc article and ad will run the 12 of OCT.
El Paso Times bowed to my persuasiveness and is running Community Calendar ads and Sporting Events ads(no charge)..........either that or I got real lucky.
Three TV stations and the cable company are running the community service/PSA's for the event. Just saw one on Fox and another on Time Warner.
Ft Bliss Monitor Ads start this Thursday.

Scout

West Texas- I LOVE you!!

I think we need to bottle up whatever you are drinking (water wise ;D) and start passing it around. You are making it look too easy.

I am looking forward to working with you on this one. funfaler says it is a nice place. ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

Scout

PS- be sure and get copies of any print advertising they have for us out there for the APpleseed scrapbook ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

SamD

Wow I'm loosing it.
I was into the SW in Las Cruces today and didn't see them ???

Oh well,
I have to go back tomorrow to pick up a broke truck. I'll drop off a few more.

I'll keep adverting for the Bliss Appleseed, although I'm already committed to the one in ABQ that weekend.
I'll see id I can get something into the Hollogram (Holloman AFB paper) for you. 

Scout

Thanks Sam! I am glad you are going to NM that weekend too. We need some good guys representing APpleseed at that shoot. Thanks
Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

WestTx

Quote from: SamD on September 29, 2008, 12:33:01 AM
Wow I'm loosing it.
I was into the SW in Las Cruces today and didn't see them ???

Oh well,
I have to go back tomorrow to pick up a broke truck. I'll drop off a few more.

I'll keep adverting for the Bliss Appleseed, although I'm already committed to the one in ABQ that weekend.
I'll see id I can get something into the Hollogram (Holloman AFB paper) for you. 

Thanks. Ask for Thomas See, the store GM, at SW.

SamD

I had to leave before the print shop here opened up so didn't have any with me.

Didn't see this post till 2 min ago. I stopped in to buy a 795 Marlin to play with.
None of the counter help knew anything about it and we couldn't find any.
You might want to call and see if they have them hidden?

Sam

WestTx

Quote from: SamD on September 29, 2008, 08:35:25 PM
I had to leave before the print shop here opened up so didn't have any with me.

Didn't see this post till 2 min ago. I stopped in to buy a 795 Marlin to play with.
None of the counter help knew anything about it and we couldn't find any.
You might want to call and see if they have them hidden?

Sam
Thanks. Just emailed Tom See again with a copy of the flyer. Called but he has already gone for the day. Haven't been up there in a couple of weeks but talk to them every week and thought they had it. Good catch and follow up, I do appreciate it. Onward.

WestTx

FunFaler was here over the weekend and met with Rich Gilliland of TSRA. Thought you all would like to get a gander at ff's idea of a Capt America outfit.
[attachment=1][attachment=2]

WestTx

OK, time for an update.
Eventbrite shows 13 folks registered. I have received emails and phone calls from a lot of folks. Many have said " I signed up with my brother/sister/father/significant other/... and wonder if?". Just hasty notes I scribble says more than 13.
The first ad in El Paso Inc hit this past Sunday. The phone number was wrong, email was right and it has started. WOW. The ad in the Ft Bliss Monitor started yesterday. The Community Calendar ads of KVIA, KTSM, KDBC, KFOX, KHEY-FM, KISS-FM(?), El Paso Times, and others have been running for two weeks now. PSA(public service announcements-free is you word them right) are playing on 9 radio and 5 TV stations and the Time Warner Cable channel(Time Warner is running them at midnight- b ut darned if I didn't get a call last night at 1AM- hope I was coherent). Replenished flyers everywhere except Las Cruces. Have 4 folks coming from Las Cruces who picked up the flyers in Sportsman's Warehouse- If that was you from Alamogordo, thanks.
All website references have been checked- even TSRA is giving us web time. CMP will list it as an event, they say. Haven't seen it yet.
Folks while this has been some work, it is fun!!!!! I haven't had to pull together so many resources in a short time to publicize an event like this in quite awhile. I even have advertising agencies calling to help, free.-This time.!
Looks like we might have 20 folks<grin>.

voortrekker

Quote from: WestTx on October 10, 2008, 07:57:42 PM
OK, time for an update.
Eventbrite shows 13 folks registered. I have received emails and phone calls from a lot of folks. Many have said " I signed up with my brother/sister/father/significant other/... and wonder if?". Just hasty notes I scribble says more than 13.
The first ad in El Paso Inc hit this past Sunday. The phone number was wrong, email was right and it has started. WOW. The ad in the Ft Bliss Monitor started yesterday. The Community Calendar ads of KVIA, KTSM, KDBC, KFOX, KHEY-FM, KISS-FM(?), El Paso Times, and others have been running for two weeks now. PSA(public service announcements-free is you word them right) are playing on 9 radio and 5 TV stations and the Time Warner Cable channel(Time Warner is running them at midnight- b ut darned if I didn't get a call last night at 1AM- hope I was coherent). Replenished flyers everywhere except Las Cruces. Have 4 folks coming from Las Cruces who picked up the flyers in Sportsman's Warehouse- If that was you from Alamogordo, thanks.
All website references have been checked- even TSRA is giving us web time. CMP will list it as an event, they say. Haven't seen it yet.
Folks while this has been some work, it is fun!!!!! I haven't had to pull together so many resources in a short time to publicize an event like this in quite awhile. I even have advertising agencies calling to help, free.-This time.!
Looks like we might have 20 folks<grin>.

WestTx,

Thanks for all your efforts on getting the word out for the El Paso shoot.

Thank you VERY MUCH.

I look forward to meeting you next weekend.

We are going to have a good time and forge some Riflemen in West Texas, hopefully some in New Mexico as well.

Range out to 500 yards?   

Man, I cannot wait to get there.

brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

WestTx

Quote from: voortrekker on October 10, 2008, 08:38:03 PM

Range out to 500 yards?   

Man, I cannot wait to get there.

brett out.
Uh, ah, Brett? The range is actually out to 1000 meters, a little over 1000yds.
And 75 positions wide for silhouette, which means almost 150 wide for high power.
We will have a BIG time.

SamD

Bliss R&G has a nice range setup out there.
We actually have quite a few nice ranges out here.

I'll be doing the Abq. Appleseed that weekend but I'll be down for your next one.

Sam

WestTx

And for Fred- who says Texas can't get it done? Come on down and we'll have a ranch style Barbeque, a little enchildas and frijoles, with some Texas Tall Tales in between. Maybe Pecos Bill will drop in.
20 registered. More coming.

SamD

Quote20 registered
Yeah but you only got 20 by poaching folks out of NM. :(
That's OK,
I'm getting a congressman  8)
Maybe 2 ;D

Sam

SamD

Hy folks,
I just realized that i did a no no.

No one here should think that I care where WestTx get s fo,lks to shoot from.
The idea is that we get people to an Appleseed.
Believe me it makes much more sense for someone from Las Cruces to shoot in El Paso which is only 40 miles as opposed to 170 to Abq..
I'd be shooting in EP myself this weekend Except that I committed to shooting in Abq.. I really want to see what happens when these congressional candidates come to an Appleseed. 8)

Sam

WestTx

SamD, I did not take offense. I took it as a bit of joshing. Heck, we all "poach" from one another at any given time. That's how we get folks fired up. To attend an Appleseed. Get them off the couches and make the trip. After seeing the 23 magnificient guys and gals in El Paso this weekend, and talking to them, I'm glad the word got out. 3 of the 4 Riflemen this weekend were from NM and are already talking about the next event.
I do think you and I and a couple of the others should joint plan the coming events.
For example, I have a commitment from Fort Bliss Rod and Gun for January 17-18 and April 18-19 2009.
I believe Rich Gilliland from TSRA will support us again.
Would do more AS, but some scheduling finesse is needed here. And now that I've seen an AS up close and personal, with the actual requirements and the responses, I think we can do a better job of coordination.
SamD- email me and I'll give you Bill Rodolph's info for the Capitan High Power Club. Think he'll do a few.

SamD

I'm jealous,
23 shooters is a great start for Appleseed in West Texas.
The seed is planted, now we just have to spread a little fertilize, and keep them well watered until we have a new grove of Riflemen.  It's fertile soil and the seed will grow here.   If the rest of the country knew about our good shooting weather all winter, and great ranges we have available, this would be the center of the world.

Of course I knew those other 3 New Mexicans would be recognized as Riflemen.  They can't help it having so much more natural ability than Texicans.  Half the nation thinks you need a passport and shots to visit and the rest don't care for chili so they try to keep us down. New Mexicans fight every day to be recognized, adn shrug off the  they are bred for Liberty and blessed with a talent for the Rifle.  They get it with mommas milk 8).  You do realize of course that 85% of the New Mexican men and 100% of our women that have been to Appleseed are RIFLEMEN ;D.

Between the number of shooters in West Tx. and the high level of marksmanship in Southern NM, there will be Riflemen thick as fleas around here in 09 ;D.

Good on ya El Paso.

Sam

WestTx

Quote from: SamD on October 20, 2008, 03:42:34 PM
I'm jealous,
23 shooters is a great start for Appleseed in West Texas.
The seed is planted, now we just have to spread a little fertilize, and keep them well watered until we have a new grove of Riflemen.  It's fertile soil and the seed will grow here.   If the rest of the country knew about our good shooting weather all winter, and great ranges we have available, this would be the center of the world.

Of course I knew those other 3 New Mexicans would be recognized as Riflemen.  They can't help it having so much more natural ability than Texicans.  Half the nation thinks you need a passport and shots to visit and the rest don't care for chili so they try to keep us down. New Mexicans fight every day to be recognized, adn shrug off the  they are bred for Liberty and blessed with a talent for the Rifle.  They get it with mommas milk 8).  You do realize of course that 85% of the New Mexican men and 100% of our women that have been to Appleseed are RIFLEMEN ;D.

Between the number of shooters in West Tx. and the high level of marksmanship in Southern NM, there will be Riflemen thick as fleas around here in 09 ;D.

Good on ya El Paso.

Sam
<BIG GRIN> ;D Sam, you seem to have the corner on the market in fertilizer- how about spreading some around Alamogordo and growing some more AS yourself? ;D
Thanks. Some hard work, and a lot of passing the contacts around. The 3 from NM at El Paso shoot also volunteered to be IIT Orange Hats. Grab 'em Sam.

SamD

Rest assured we will ;D.

That will make 4 IIT's for NM, and I suspect that Tom will take the orange pretty soon too.

We may be small but we will do it up right.

Sam

WestTx

Had a BALL!. The most intensive course of instruction since I left the military. The fire hose didn't quite sweep me from my feet but did leave me a little wobbly. My thanks to the many,many folks who stepped up to the plate. The one unsung hero in all this is a guy by the name of John Hubert in El Paso. Works at an East El Paso gunstore. He spread the word but couldn't come as he was busy teaching 40 folks how to, in a Texas CHL course. He also will have most of those 40 coming for the April Appleseed, if I know John. He introduced me to Rich Gilliland, who is still up and running with ideas for the next Appleseed in January (17-18) and April 18-19. Man, what TSRA will do to gain members. Even signed one up from California  ;D
My congrats to the 3 New Mexico folks who brought 2 couples with them. Taosglock, Bluefeather and husband all made Rifleman.
Much excitement in the Fort Bliss Rod & Gun club as the folks who normally use Range 5 found us in the middle of it. To their credit, the FBRG folks turned those inquiring minds towards this forum and the Appleseed project.
Again, I had fun. Made new friends and acquaintances. Learned new skills. Tightened my groups. Found out how a lack of water can affect your vision. ::) Product tested 3 cans of Raid on desert ants and found how they are more persistent than the Energizer bunny. (Note: Letter to Raid makers on the way- try napalm next time)
My thanks to all of you here as well for providing this Type A person with an outlet and a mission.

So Who Else is up for an Appleseed in West Texas? I see Midland/Odessa. How about Pecos? Eagle Pass?