News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pelham, TN KD/IBC Feb 21-23 AAR

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, February 24, 2014, 08:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

Last November after talking with some of my SB brothers I decided to add a 3 day KD/IBC combination event to the schedule to kick off the Appleseed season in the TN/AL/GA area. I was a little apprehensive because I didn't know if anyone would take off to shoot a KD on a work day and I thought if we could just get 8 or 10 orange hats to show up for the IBC we'd be doing OK. I obviously had no idea about the passion for the Appleseed program in the area.  ;D

For the KD on Friday we had 22 shooters registered and 6 instructors signed up to work the event. We had 20 students and 8 instructors for the IBC! I'm elated!

The venue for the events, the Elk River Training Center in Pelham, Tn, is new for Appleseed and promises to be one of our premiere partner ranges in the southeast going forward. They have a very large training building, a short range that can handle 30 shooters for a 25M event and a long range that allows shooting out to 900 yards.

After a welcome from Tennessee State Coordinator Claude "TnColonel" Morse, the KD event began with 2.5 hours of classroom presentation on range estimation, ballistics, trajectory (come-ups) and a block on doping the wind and shooting up and down hill. The shooters had less than perfect conditions due to 3+ inches of rain that was deposited the night before when very severe weather came through the area and temperatures that never got out of the high 40's. High top rubber boots were a welcome accessory for visiting the target line for this KD. Some areas of the line were 6 inches deep in water and mud.  We shot sighters at 25 yards and then moved to the long range. Only a very small number of shooters had ever fired over 100 yards before this event and we spent a lot of time helping them learn the come-ups for their rifles and how to apply BSZ targeting skills out to 400 yards.

Even with reduced daylight hours we managed to get in 2 AQT's with the last one starting after "official" sunset and finishing over 40 minutes after the sun had disappeared. Someone suggested we might want to come up with a new LD patch that with a flashlight design or one that glows in the dark.  ;D I don't know the time record for shooting a 4 stage KD AQT but we had to be close. From the time we started stage 4 to the time we finished stage 1 was under 20 minutes including the time spent moving from 400 to 100 yards. Video of stage one can be found in the links below.

We had several shooters who were VERY close (missed by one point) to qualifying on our hits-count AQT and unfortunately we had no LD qualifiers but everyone agreed they left with a much better understanding of their rifles and BSZ than they had before. They'll be back.

After drying out from a soggy day on Friday the IBC began bright and early Saturday morning in the very nice training building at Elk River. We covered all the usual POI items for an IBC including a special segment titled "what's in your instructor bag" presented by SureShotSpartan. Several IIT's are probably out buying bigger bags today.

We moved outside for Saturday afternoon and Sunday to take advantage of the gorgeous weather. We finished up with the line error drill and a mock Appleseed that was a lot of fun.  One IIT line boss in the mock Appleseed threatened to remove Rusty from the line for being a trouble maker. He did move Rusty's fellow troublemaker to the other end of the line to separate them.  ;D

We gave out 17 new Boot Camp rockers and recognized 3 more students who already had one. It was a great weekend.

Thanks so much to an awesome group of instructors who make this kind of event easy for a newbie running his first IBC. Kudos to SI DrJohn and fellow instructors Goose, Roswell, Morpheus, Tellico, Rusty, GrandsonofLiberty and SureShotSpartan for stepping up.

Following are some pictures I took with my iPhone over the KD/IBC. Use the right and left arrows to scroll through the pics.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l502/Ramblinwreck77/Appleseed%20Events/Pelham%20KD%20and%20IBC/IMG_1299_zpsb8e517f3.jpg

Ramblinwreck.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

BluegrassColonel

The IBC was a tremendous event with a very good facility.  Dr John & Ben - as well as the other Red Hats -did a great job.  Thanks for all you do to get wannabes & instructors trained right while having a safe and very fun time.  I am so thankful and humbled to be able to attend these events and to have new friendships with men and women of such great character.

Sincerely,
Greg
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

goose

A superb long weekend with Appleseeders of the highest caliber! 

-GOOSE!
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Henryrifle

Just as you can tell a lot about a person by their associations, you can tell a lot about an association by its members.  I have consistently been impressed with every Appleseed instructor I have met by their unselfish commitment to pass on what they know, the helpful and friendly manner in which they do that and the obvious competence they exude while doing it.

Maybe the only readers of this note are the men and women who attended this event but if this reaches a broader audience this is my takeaway:

If you are an American Patriot and feel that you should be doing something to aide our country, Project Appleseed is the place for you to do that and meet others just like you.  From the moment you arrive at an event you are surrounded by real men and women.  The kind who are easy to talk to, ready to help with whatever you may need--a staple gun, spare gear, a meal or advice and instructors with a passion to help you understand the fundamentals of marksmanship and teach you the skills that will allow you to improve over the weekend and, more importantly, long after the weekend is over.  You'll also get a dose of history that will energize you and remind you that a few committed and passionate souls can bring about unfathomably large change.

Lastly, it is very likely that before the weekend is over, you will have a new friend but you will certainly be associated with a great new family.

Thank you Instructors and Project Appleseed.  It is humbling and exciting to be associated with you!

Hank

SureShotSpartan

An excellent weekend spent with a hearty group of liberty lovers!! 
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

boadicea

I had a load of fun.
I found a ready made "patrol patch" we could use to commemorate the SwampSeed... a boiling frog!
http://www.patchtown.com/boilingfrogpatrolpatch.aspx
Just a thought.  Most of the frog patches out there are really for the Seals (frog skeletons) but this one was cute.

76Patriot

Just wanted to give a HUGE thank you to all the red hats who gave of their time to work with me and help me to learn the first steps of being an instructor.  Not having a voice made it difficult to do that in person this time, but at least here on the forum I can be heard without speaking.  And I am fortunate to be able to complete an IBC before working a real event; looking forward to working my first event next weekend in Toccoa.

Lastly I just wanted to say that I enjoyed meeting so many fine people, and now I have a face to put with many of the forum names.  See you all in the field.

Don
"Why stand we here idle?" - Patrick Henry

Roswell

I'm sorry to have missed the KD.  :-[ However, I must say, the IBC really was a treat. Wreck and the other senior red hats were great mentors through out. I am honored to be able to work among you gentlemen. Indeed, I am honored to have been counted among all that were at the event and grateful to know all of you.

May Liberty forever increase!
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

goose

Anyone have any pics to post and share?
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Pop Revere

I want to send out a big "Thank You" to all of the red hats and Shoot Bosses that showed up to help teach us orange hats to be better instructors. I plan to put all I learned to good use and support the Appleseed mission the best that I can. My work schedule is very demanding and prevents me from being able to attend as often as would like to but it does not stop me from being committed to the cause.
I really enjoyed the KD even though the range was like a swamp from all the rain. Heck that was part of the fun. All of us that layed in the mud together will have a good story to tell and it will help us remember each other. It was my first KD and now that I know more about come ups I hope to attend another this year and qualify.
I was really happy to see some familiar faces from previous Appleseeds and even more happy to meet some new friends. Looking forward to seeing you all again on the trail.

In Liberty,
AR-Mike
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".
Mike Cofield (Pop Revere)

Attended my 1st Appleseed in 2010
Scored Rifleman & took an Orange Hat 2013
IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-2015
KD Qualified at CMP Talladega, AL  1-2016
IBC Huntsville, AL  2-2022
Re-Activated 2-2022

Roswell

Sorry Goose I didn't break out the camera like I usually do.  I did snag some from FB and Wreck though.

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Grandson of Liberty

Goose, I do believe we've got a "ping" shot of you forthcoming, along with several others. :)

It was great to see "old" friends and meet new ones Friday. Excited to hear how well the IBC went!

Hope to see you all "on the trail" soon! O0
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

Pop Revere

It occured to me today that I failed to mention something in my post on yesterday, so here goes.
I want to give a special 2 thumbs up O0 O0 to Frank who drove 10 hours one way from Maryland just to attend the IBC in Tenn. I know we all make sacrifices and drive considerable distances to attend Appleseeds but DAMN I got to hand it to Frank, that is true commitment and dedication. He and I talked during one of our breaks when he told me. I was shocked and proud for him. This should be another confirmation to us all that we are part of something great. With the determination, dedication, sacrifice, and support that us Liberty Loving Patriots show for our country, each other, and Appleseed we will be successful as a group and individually.
Frank if you are on the forum and see this I want you to know that it was a pleasure to meet you. Welcome to the Appleseed family. Keep up the good work and if things get too crazy up north in Maryland you know you have place on the line down here in the good ole' south.

In Liberty,
AR-Mike
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".
Mike Cofield (Pop Revere)

Attended my 1st Appleseed in 2010
Scored Rifleman & took an Orange Hat 2013
IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-2015
KD Qualified at CMP Talladega, AL  1-2016
IBC Huntsville, AL  2-2022
Re-Activated 2-2022

Maximum Ordinate

Greg Jeffers took a number of pictures during the event.  He's a great photographer!

Here are some of the really nice ones that should be shared.  Click the full sized images to appreciate the beauty of his work.  :)

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Maximum Ordinate

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

-Thomas Jefferson

DrJohn

What a wonderful experience, one that will be long remembered. Can't tell you how special this was to me, to meet and get to enjoy the company of so many fine patriots and outstanding people. If it were not for the gallant students who supported the event so strongly, all this never would have happened. My thanks and commendations to you all, and my sincere wish to see you all again soon on the Appleseed trail. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Regulator

Great weekend with a bunch of great patriots!
RBC Ramseur 2/13
IBC Pelham, TN 2/14
RBC Ramseur 3/14 (Re-qualified w/ 224)
KD Qualified Pelham, TN 12/14
RBC Calera, AL 1/15
KD re-qualified 1/16