News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

waaaayyyytooomuch!!!

Started by biathlon, September 25, 2008, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biathlon

Holy Crapola guys! I asked our UofW librarian to see what the University had on the Revolutionary War and,,, WOW!! Two and a half entire STACKS on the event. Man,,   I'm gonna need a lifetime+ to read 1/3 of it. I'll try to glean out the best of it and bring some to the '09 Douglas bootcamp.

LayloPro

Evelyn Wood Speed Reading course, dude.....

Well worth the time spent! ;D ;D

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Nickle

Start with Paul Revere's Ride by Hackett-Fischer.

Most everything you need to know about April 19th, 1775 is there, including some stuff before and after.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Pappy

Hello Group; Nickle is on the mark with his recomendation of Paul Revere`s Ride by David Hackett Fischer, You may need a highliter pen and some paper clips to mark the reread to memorize BURN IN BRAIN to get the details. There are many others, But this one is at the top of the list for good info and not a bad read at that. Pappy.
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

T191032

"Hello Group; Nickle is on the mark with his recomendation of Paul Revere`s Ride by David Hackett Fischer, You may need a highliter pen and some paper clips"

Hopefully, only on your personal copies. . .  ;)  Please not with public libraries/college libraries books.  I know that one of the local colleges here is very specific about not doing this!

Nickle

Of course on your OWN copies.

If you don't have your own copy, yet, why not?

(That's directed to ALL that read this. This book is TOO good and too CHEAP to not own a copy.)
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

crak

And once you're done with Fischer's PRR, his book on Washington's Crossing is also excellent.
Check your drama at the door.

biathlon

The best one I've found so far is a book by Jacob Fischer from 1908. The illustrations are re-pros of paintings done by eye witnesses. I have a few more too. Definetly gonna buy the Hacket book on Paul Revere.

Eskimo Jim

Hi,
I used to do reenacting of the American War of Independance period.  During the winter when there weren't any events, I used to pick up a book or six.

I'd suggest the following:
Lexington and Concord by Tourtellot.  Originally published as "William Diamond's Drum" in the 1950s.  WIlliam Diamond was the drummer for Capt Parker's Minuteman company in Lexington.  The book was one of the first looks at the social situations of LExington and Concord.

Spirit of Seventy-Six is a collection of first hand accounts throughout the AWI.

Frederick MacKenzie's Diaries are worth a read.  He was a Subaltern with a British unit, the 23rd Regiment of Foot The Royal Welch Fusiliers.  His diaries include arriving in Boston through the Siege and evacuation of Boston.  However, the volume containing April 19th is missing.  Still worth a read though.

Redcoats and Rebels by Hibbert is worth a read.  It tells of the war from the British perspective.  There are few books written from this perspective.  Not to be confused with Scheer and Rankin's book of similar title.

There are quite a few first hand accounts of the battles at Lexington and Concord.  If I recall, most of the towns in the area set up boards to take depositions of people's actions on that day.  The state archives has a lot of these and many local towns still have copies.

I'll post more as I unpack my books if anyone is interested.

Jim

biathlon

Yeah, thanks Jim. I'll try to find 'em in UWs collection.

PHenry

Here's a great one - it looks at the Rev War from across the pond. The Dutch were the first nation to recognize America as a sovereign nation and boy did that annoy the King! Had the Dutch not wanted to trade with America so badly, we might still be speaking with British accent!

It's called The First Salute:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Salute-Barbara-W-Tuchman/dp/0345336674

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

socalserf

Quote from: PHenry on October 23, 2008, 07:49:30 PM
Here's a great one - it looks at the Rev War from across the pond. The Dutch were the first nation to recognize America as a sovereign nation and boy did that annoy the King! Had the Dutch not wanted to trade with America so badly, we might still be speaking with British accent!

It's called The First Salute:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Salute-Barbara-W-Tuchman/dp/0345336674

I love Tuchman, but even this book focuses on events in Europe.
Good reading for sure.
This one might be better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Morning

Howdy Biathlon!
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."