News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2014 Full Distance KD?

Started by Aardwolf, January 01, 2014, 07:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aardwolf

I would like to shoot a KD Appleseed this year, preferably full distance, and was wondering if there were any being planned for NorCal (or southern Oregon) this year. I'll be driving from Eureka, so the closer the better. I really wanted to go to the Aug 31-Sept 2 at Hat Creek last year but already had a family obligation for that weekend. Hat Creek or Red Bluff would be the best options but there's nothing on the calendar at this time.

Both San Jose (6 hours south) and Mariposa (7+hrs south east) are only 200 yard. Right now I'm leaning toward Eagle Creek, Oregon (7+hrs north) Feb 15-16 seems to be the closest full distance and is not that much farther away than San Jose.

Nero

I believe there will KD at Hat Creek and probably Red Bluff.  eaglescouter and NorCal22Gal are the ones that set up those schedules, so you might ask them directly.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

NorCal22Gal

Yes there is a KD in Hat Creek, CA.  70 miles east of Redding.  Dates Aug 9-11.  We have distance of 730 meters at that range I believe.  We do shoot AQT's 100-400 yds.

Check the TIPS page where you sign up to work a shoot...scroll down to Aug 9-11 Hat Creek...it's there....not on the main schedule because it's not for the public.

PM me or eaglescouter for more info. 

NorCal22Gal
Laurie

George Hacker

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on January 02, 2014, 03:25:47 AM
Here's the link to the announcement in World of Bob210 and beyond...

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=38356.0

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

ItsanSKS

Quote"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."
Quote from: NorCal22Gal on January 02, 2014, 03:23:22 AM
...not on the main schedule because it's not for the public.

Looks like, at this point, there is not a public KD course yet on the schedule for Hat Creek.  The KD at Hat Creek on Aug 9-11 is for Instructors only, to not only improve their own marksmanship, but to better learn how to teach the various modules involved in the Appleseed Known Distance course. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

NorCal22Gal

Correct, I apologize, I thought Aardwolf was an instructor.  :-[  This is an instructor only KD....so Aardwolf....the way to this one is to become an IIT and then come shoot...but you do need to assist at other shoots as an instructor...so Come Join the Appleseed Instructor Family! 

Hope to see you at a shoot soon. 

Laurie

George Hacker

Although there are some California firearms restrictions you need to consider.  I ran a shoot at Dulzura, CA last year and it was the first time I saw an AR-style rifle with a mag release button that required a tool to operate.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

eaglescouter

Quote from: ShadowMan on January 02, 2014, 09:47:35 PM
Although there are some California firearms restrictions you need to consider.  I ran a shoot at Dulzura, CA last year and it was the first time I saw an AR-style rifle with a mag release button that required a tool to operate.

ShadowMan

Aardwolf is starting his trip in California thus should be familiar with our 'special' laws.

But any instructor planning on attending this event can contact me for assistance with figuring out how to stay compliant on their trip.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Aardwolf

Thanks for the info everyone.

NorCal22Gal,
Don't think I haven't been eyeing the Hat Creek Instructor Boot Camp May 31-Jun 1 anyway. Not being able to get to enough Appleseeds in a year is what's held me back from taking the orange hat. With enough in the Redding area and one in Brookings, getting to enough shoots in a year to qualify becomes a lot more doable for me. And if I become an instructor we would have one in the Eureka area which seems to be kind of a hole between Portland, Redding and the Bay Area.

ShadowMan,
I'm painfully aware of the California restrictions, my highpower rifle is "feaureless", ie, no flash hider or pistol grip so I can have a regular mag release.

Nero

We've had shoots in the Eureka/Arcata area before, but the locals who were our range contacts moved to Oregon in 2012.  We've been at the Samoa Gun Club several times, and I've heard of a longer distance range up the river to the east that was interested in having a shoot.  There was also another shooter from Eureka at the Sacramento shoot this last weekend (unless that was you, but I don't think so), so you may be able to find someone else locally.  IOW, if someone took the initiative to contact ranges, we could probably figure out a way to get instructors up there again. 

(The latest I've heard about the Brooking folks is they were considering doing such a shoot over in the Willamette Valley, somewhere that was easy to get to...)
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Aardwolf

Nero,
Yep, there have been several Appleseeds at Redwood Gun Club in Manila (between Arcata and Eureka). In fact, you were the shoot boss here for my first Appleseed. Freeman ran a few up here in 2011/2012. Despite the fliers I posted, the last three here had no more than five shooters on the line. When there weren't any last year, I assumed it was because of the low turnout and expense of sending someone up here but it sounds like it might just be because the local coordinators moved. I had also heard some grumbling from members and the public about both the 100 yard and 200 yard ranges needing to be closed for Appleseed weekends but the Executive Board has always been supportive so I didn't think that was the problem.

After I see this year's high power schedules for Oregon I'll see what I can shake loose in this area.

I'm a range master at Redwood and run the occasional match there. (Including Redwood's first ever Patriots' Day Rifle Match this April 19th! It will include Appleseed D-type targets and an abbreviated oral history before each stage.) I also help teach our annual high power clinic and help coach new high power shooters at our local NRA matches. I encourage everyone wanting to shoot high power to attend at least one Appleseed.

The other range here, Long Prairie Gun and Archery Club, is about 20 minutes east of Arcata and the rifle side has 100, 200 and 300 yard berms with a covered area for position shooting. (There was a gong at 400 yards but it has been closed for a few years.)

Medford definitely has the facilities for KD, they used to run full distance high power there until attendance dropped off the last couple of years.