News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

M1-Garand Battle Rifle History

Started by Castle Mountain, December 20, 2013, 11:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Mountain

Heads up folks, I came across this wonderful article on the M1-Garand
I thought to share with all. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/16/world-war-ll-m1-garands/

Merry Christmas

Castle Mountain
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

TaosGlock

Thx for finding that!

We have 2, a 1943 SA and a 1952 HR (Thx to ThaiFighter for assisting me on that one ;) )

They shoulda used a WWII helmet in the pic though.
I am surprised Duke did not make a mention of that in the article or perhaps the editorial department added it at the last minute.

Merry Christmas to you too!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

fisherdawg

Quote from: Castle Mountain on December 20, 2013, 11:49:24 AM

Heads up folks, I came across this wonderful article on the M1-Garand
I thought to share with all. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/16/world-war-ll-m1-garands/

Merry Christmas

Castle Mountain

+1 PING

Great article, Thanks! O0
Merry Christmas,
fisherdwag
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

hawkeye

That is an early WW2 helmet there's a series of that same guy around a halftrack. He's holding and early SA Garand too, milled trigger guard, single slot gas plug,flush nut rear sight, thin stock profile.I believe that picture was in Life Magazine.   
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

TaosGlock

Quote from: hawkeye on December 20, 2013, 04:06:12 PM
That is an early WW2 helmet there's a series of that same guy around a halftrack. He's holding and early SA Garand too, milled trigger guard, single slot gas plug,flush nut rear sight, thin stock profile.I believe that picture was in Life Magazine.   
Thx for that! Now I know. What year did the later style arrive to the troops?
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

hawkeye

The lock bar rear sight was used about March of 194, the stamped trigger guard at the end of 1944, and the gas plug was changed to the grenade launcher type about late 1944. The Winchester stock has a very distinct c shape at the pistol grip.  I think the M1 helmet was adopted in 1941.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

grunt soldier

awesome article.  thank you so much for sharing!
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.