News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Revolutionary War

Started by DrRichP, November 28, 2013, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRichP

First Happy Thanksgiving to all!

On the Military Channel tonight (11/28) at 8:00 pm there is a great series of shows entitled "Revolutionary War". It is comprised of 6 parts. I have watched it before and it is really good. I'll be putting it on my DVR box.

Rebels and Redcoats: With the British government 2 months away by sea, the American colonies operated with great freedom. But the imposition of a tax on the colonies sparked protests that escalated into revolution.

Independence: Under the leadership of George Washington, the American Army had early success driving the British from Boston. But as the war progressed the Americans met with resounding defeat in New York.

Misfortunes of War: The British plan for the summer of 1777 was to cut New England off from her less rebellious neighbors. American success in thwarting this strategy convinced France and Spain to back the rebels.

A War Without End: The years 1778 and 1779 featured profiteering on the home front, the growth of the American Navy, and Spain's entrance into the French-American alliance.

The Dark Days: The young nation faced trying times in 1780, as the British invaded the South, Savannah fell to the British, Benedict Arnold committed treason, and civilians experienced great hardships.

A Harvest of Victory: The United States struggled to form itself in the years from 1781 to 1783, as Congress pacified mutineers with cannons, Congress signed the Articles of Confederation, and Washington kept the Army together.

Enjoy!
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Earl

Happy New Year, I have just finished reading George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution by Robert Leckie. I do recommend it for the pictures of the people, the shape of the war and how it had to go to victory.  Of interest to me, never having heard about them before are Maham Towers used several times in the Southern Campaigns to help assault fortifications, a tower quickly erected by soldiers that knew more about axes and shovels than military stuff, used to place RIFLEMEN above the enemy fortifications and suppressing their defense and resistance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Fort_Watson.

Now it is time to lift a glass and say farewell to the olde year and welcome the new one. God Bless us all, for our problems are so much less than the original rebels. So much less.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.