News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Congrats MAC!!!!?!!!!

Started by SteelThunder, November 01, 2013, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Its after 12....does that mean you win!!!!??????

Don't forget the ST2 Arms Museum on the West Coast as a place to store your loot.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Kosciusko

yes, at least according to Ruger

and their vote counts for a lot

his rifle is now pictured at the top of the page, big as life

Oz

Huzzah! 

So now in addition to being The Godzilla of Liberty you are The Arms Magnate of the Mitten?   :bow:
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Pitmaster

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

QuoteCongratulations to our winner

Thank you to everyone who submitted a design for the 10/22® 50th Anniversary Design Contest. Below you can see the designs of the ten finalists. Subject to the terms and conditions of the Official Contest Rules, the grand prize winner will receive a production version of their rifle design, a trip to the Newport, NH plant to watch the production run, and $5,000 worth of Ruger® product. The remaining nine finalists will each receive a Ruger® firearm of their choice. Congratulations, Gary!

Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

slim

The Old Guide

Congratulations, Gary, from the Maine State Coordinator. Now to get Ruger to produce these LTRs! You'll get the first one. The second one should go to Fred.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

FiremanBob

Congratulations, Gary. And thanks to all the Appleseeders, Honda V4 Owners Club, CBRXX owners, VGOF members, Northeast Shooters, AR15, and Rimfire Central members who responded to my threads and cast their votes.

Of the ideas submitted, yours was the only genuine improvement in 10-22 design that preserved the original spirit of the rifle.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Fred

Quote from: FiremanBob on November 01, 2013, 03:26:42 PM
Of the ideas submitted, yours was the only genuine improvement in 10-22 design that preserved the original spirit of the rifle.

Absolutely! For once, the best design won! O0

Yes, WE ALL WON on this one! O0 O0

Yes, when we all work together, we are a force to be reckoned with.

Today, a Ruger LTR. Tomorrow, a free nation? :cool2:
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

mac66

This is a win, win, win for everybody. Ruger got a lot, and I mean a lot of attention on this. How many people who voted stopped and looked at what else Ruger has on their website because of this? I know I did.  Those two wood stock take down rifle had a lot of attention, together they totaled more than mine did. I would bet money that we will see some sort of wood stock take down version next year. And who wouldn't want mine in a take down version?

Notice that it says Project Appleseed on the photo/description Ruger posted for all to see.

Notice that the designer is an Appleseed instructor who is likely to tell everybody and anybody, (gun forums, gun blogs, web sites, radio shows, magazines, etc) how this rifle came to be.

I hope this is just the beginning of what we can do.  Thank you all.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Pitmaster

Notice that the designer is an Appleseed instructor who is likely to tell everybody and anybody, (gun forums, gun blogs, web sites, radio shows, magazines, etc) how this rifle came to be.

And how many shooting groups can say that the designer is an Appleseed Instructor.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

D.S.S.

Now the real work begins.  We all need to place our hands on the great big bailing bucket that was just made available to us and get busy!!!

DSS
"Somehow, it is OK for little Johnny to shoot and kill in a gory bloody mess aliens and humans alike, but it is absolutely evil to actually shoot at a paper target at a range."  --Marco Vorobiev

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be.  --Thomas Jefferson

Aim small...miss small! --The Patriot (movie)

Viator

Temporarily forgot that the voting ended at midnight, went to the contest site to cast my daily vote, and found out you had won - congratulations, mac66!  ;D  Whoo-hoooooo!!!  ^:)^  Congratulations on a job well done... as others have said, you won, so we all won.  :bow:  Excellent!   O0
"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." ~ George Mason

Miki

Nice going! Hey Mac, when I get one of these beauties added to my collection, will you put your special 'Mac logo' on it? Please...I'll buy you a beer!  ;D

mac66

Quote from: Miki on November 01, 2013, 11:12:33 PM
Nice going! Hey Mac, when I get one of these beauties added to my collection, will you put your special 'Mac logo' on it? Please...I'll buy you a beer!  ;D

Hmmm, yeah OK, For beer,  OF COURSE!
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

mac66

An now the rest of the story...

....As a finalist I had to make my preference for one gun known. All the finalists picked the SR 762 (no brainer, pick the most valuable right?).  In exchange for that gun, you sign over and claims or rights you have for the design of the rifle. It is now Ruger's design and they own it. They can now do anything they want to it or change whatever they want. That auto bolt release specified on my rifle? Gone if they want it to be.

As the grand prize winner, I start from scratch again.  I don't get the SR 762 unless I "buy" it.  I get to choose $5K worth of Ruger guns, no accessories, t shirts, hats, mags or anything, just guns. Value is at full retail, not wholesale, not dealer price, full MSRP. So that SR 762 with a $1600 street price is $2195 MSRP. That $290 LCP is $379 MSRP. I also have to pay income tax on the full value, I have to pay sales tax (6% of $5K is $300)  when I get them and whatever transfer fees from the gun dealer. I will probably choose one of guns to sell just to pay all all the fees and taxes.

Am I complaining? OH HELL NO! ..:.. Just stuff you have to consider when you win "free" stuff.  Also trying to figure out how to tell my wife how much this "free" stuff is going to cost us.  ::)
Ronald Reagan

Superheat

how about the tax on the trip to visit the factory?

MI-copperhead

Congrats Gary ! Hope to see one of these in the flesh soon. Hope Ruger is smart enough to build it as designed and not tinker with it, but I suppose the legal department will have their say first.
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Pitmaster

Quote from: Superheat on November 02, 2013, 09:54:34 AM
how about the tax on the trip to visit the factory?

It might be possible to write some of that expense off via representing RWVA. Some of the expenses, particularly travel can be deductible as a donation or expense. Consult your tax attorney or accountant and keep records.
Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member

SteelThunder

And now we need to get Ruger to put Appleseed info and a certificate for a discounted shoot in EVERY ONE OF THESE RIFLES THAT THEY SHIP!   
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

mac66

Quote from: SteelThunder on November 02, 2013, 03:01:35 PM
And now we need to get Ruger to put Appleseed info and a certificate for a discounted shoot in EVERY ONE OF THESE RIFLES THAT THEY SHIP!

Yeah, and an autographed picture of the designer as well.  ;D

Mac66
Professional Firearms Designer  :cool2:
Did you buy my rifle today?
Well, didya?
Ronald Reagan

Oz

Quote from: mac66 on November 03, 2013, 02:52:25 PM
Yeah, and an autographed picture of the designer as well.  ;D

Mac66
Professional Firearms Designer  :cool2:

A preview of the Michigan IBC.  This version of Mac would make an epic attendee at a mock Appleseed.   "...you will have two minutes!  Magazine in your trigger side...errrr..." :bow:
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

NavyIrish

"The man who loves his country on its own account, and not merely for its trappings of interest or power, can never be divorced for
it, can never refuse to come forward when he finds that she is engaged in dangers which he has the means of warding off." --Thomas Jefferson to Elbridge Gerry, 1797.

wizard

Congrats Mac, Some people get just things done. Having a lot of friends helps, but you got it done. BTW you look good in a dress.
I get things done because I get things done.

mac66

Quote from: wizard on November 04, 2013, 11:59:04 AM
Congrats Mac, Some people get just things done. Having a lot of friends helps, but you got it done. BTW you look good in a dress.

It's only a dress if you aren't Scottish.

And BTW, just heard directly from Ruger about 10 minutes ago telling me I won. Yeah!
Ronald Reagan

Pitmaster

When is the trip? You going to try and work in a Battle Road tour since you will be in the area.
Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member

mac66

Quote from: Pitmaster on November 04, 2013, 01:58:40 PM
When is the trip? You going to try and work in a Battle Road tour since you will be in the area.

Won't be until next year. It will take some time for them to get the run of rifles up and going. Tentatively is looks like the trip will only be overnight. Fly out, do the tour, fly back the next day.
Ronald Reagan

Pitmaster

Quote from: mac66 on November 04, 2013, 04:40:16 PM

Won't be until next year. It will take some time for them to get the run of rifles up and going. Tentatively is looks like the trip will only be overnight. Fly out, do the tour, fly back the next day.

Will you be able to bring the rifle back with you? Or do you have to pick it up locally.
Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member

mac66

Quote from: Pitmaster on November 04, 2013, 09:37:03 PM
Quote from: mac66 on November 04, 2013, 04:40:16 PM

Will you be able to bring the rifle back with you? Or do you have to pick it up locally.

Shipped and transferred through an FFL.

Ronald Reagan

koolman68

Congrats Mac, it would be nice if you brought it to the Michigan IBC for us to oogle over if you get it in time.
:---

Later,
Koolman

mac66

Quote from: koolman68 on November 22, 2013, 01:01:08 AM
Congrats Mac, it would be nice if you brought it to the Michigan IBC for us to oogle over if you get it in time.
:---

Later,
Koolman

Not likely to have the Mac Special in time for the IBC, but I will have my new SR 762 by then
Ronald Reagan