News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

DASHBOARD: CHOIS Homeschool Convention, June 6-7, 2014

Started by George Hacker, October 29, 2013, 05:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Hacker

Status and Task List for:
CHOIS Homeschool Convention, June 6-7, 2014
Last Updated: April 22, 2014

Event Information

Location:College Church of the Nazarene, 504 E. Dewey Avenue, Nampa, Idaho
Date:June 6-7, 2014
Promo Boss:ShadowMan
Promo Team:American Amazon, Nero, scoob, ShadowMan

Tasks / Action Items
These items below require action. Please respond in this thread to volunteer and complete a task or fill a role.
Items with names and dates in parens have been assigned and are in progress. Items with a strike are complete.

Logistics, Administrative and Staffing

• Venue contacted, booth space approved
  • Promo Boss needed
  • E-mail/Facebook campaign (May 23 and 30, 2014)
  • Management of booth materials and supplies
  • Booth load-in and set up staffed and scheduled (7:00am-10:00am Friday)
  • Booth staffing for Friday
  • Booth staffing for Saturday
  • Booth tear-down and load out staffed and scheduled (after 5:00pm Saturday)

Booth Staff Schedule

________FRIDAY_________
_______SATURDAY_______
10:00am-5:00pmscoob, TBDscoob, TBD

Event website: http://www.chois.org/convention/exhibitor-information/
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

scoob

I think it's safe to say that I will definitely be working this one!   ;)

I'd like to work under someone that's an experienced promo boss if they're available, but put me down for:

Management of booth materials and supplies
Booth load-in and set up
Booth staffing for Friday
Booth staffing for Saturday
Booth tear-down and load out

I'll do a search in 'IAAR's - LibertySeeds, other speaking and promo events for ideas and photos of booth construction, physical layout, materials logistics, etc., but if anyone can point me to a favorite thread, I'll gladly take the info.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
--------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure and LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page: 
Northwest Region Project Appleseed
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

George Hacker

Quote from: scoob on October 29, 2013, 10:43:41 AM
I think it's safe to say that I will definitely be working this one!   ;)

I'd like to work under someone that's an experienced promo boss if they're available, but put me down for:

Management of booth materials and supplies
Booth load-in and set up
Booth staffing for Friday
Booth staffing for Saturday
Booth tear-down and load out

Will do.  Thanks for stepping up!

I'll do a search in 'IAAR's - LibertySeeds, other speaking and promo events for ideas and photos of booth construction, physical layout, materials logistics, etc., but if anyone can point me to a favorite thread, I'll gladly take the info.

Check out the following Facebook photo album:  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.414946538549005.92263.163235577053437

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

scoob

So, I see books on the table.  Were any for sale or just display?  I assume
"Paul Revere's Ride" is there.  What are some of the other titles?

Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

Nero

We're not yet sure of our schedule, but if we're in the area by then, we're in!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

scoob

QuoteEarly Saturday morning the crew stuffs tri-folds with an insert of local events before attendees are allowed on the floor. They ran out of inserts the day before. Nice problem to have.

I'm planning on adding tidbits like this to this thread, so as the time draws near, we have a central location for 'DONT FORGET' items... like "Scoob, don't forget to stuff a ton of tri-folds!"   ;)
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

George Hacker

Quote from: scoob on October 29, 2013, 11:09:41 AM
So, I see books on the table.  Were any for sale or just display?  I assume
"Paul Revere's Ride" is there.  What are some of the other titles?

Those were from tionico's personal collection.  We decided we had too many at that event, so a few useful titles would have been helpful (too much of a good thing).  The Christian homeschool folks were very interested in them.

We told the story of the Bloody Butchery posters, so those were well received and taken.  Patches, tri-folds, redcoat (now Rifleman's Challenge) targets, a few (not all) shooter handouts (6 steps to firing the shot).  Be creative on how you want to lay out the table.  Modern rifles are probably not a good idea (need to ask permission), but usually they love to see and handle a Brown Bess replica with bayonet.  I have heard taking pictures with the musket has been a favorite pastime with the kids.

In the back are a couple target stands with sample shot up Appleseed targets.  I would have a banner with Posterity Maiden and not post AR Girl.

ShadowMan

scoob

QuoteThose were from tionico's personal collection.  We decided we had too many at that event, so a few useful titles would have been helpful (too much of a good thing).  The Christian homeschool folks were very interested in them.
We told the story of the Bloody Butchery posters, so those were well received and taken.  Patches, tri-folds, redcoat (now Rifleman's Challenge) targets, a few (not all) shooter handouts (6 steps to firing the shot).  Be creative on how you want to lay out the table.

Yeah, that was a busy table.  I'll have to fight the urge to put the promo 'kitchen sink' out there and streamline a bit. 

QuoteModern rifles are probably not a good idea (need to ask permission), but usually they love to see and handle a Brown Bess replica with bayonet.  I have heard taking pictures with the musket has been a favorite pastime with the kids.

That sounded an awful lot like a 'hint'!   ^-^  I'll see if I can round up a Brown Bess with a bayonet.  I wonder if I know someone that has one... hmmmm.    ;D 

QuoteIn the back are a couple target stands with sample shot up Appleseed targets.

I thought that was a nice touch!

QuoteI would have a banner with Posterity Maiden and not post AR Girl.

Agreed.  AR Girl seems more appropriate for the gun shop/gun show crowds.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

scoob

Wheels are turning... I'm starting on booth design. 

I found some more booth examples here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=40008.msg286949#msg286949
(posting link here so I can find it again)

QuoteI'll see if I can round up a Brown Bess with a bayonet.
Dad has graciously loaned me his Navy Arms replica Brown Bess, bayonet, and some period accessories.
Not only that, but also a Kentucky long rifle!
I have an inquiry in to the convention staff to see if they have any firearms restrictions.

Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

Nero

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

mustanghills

I'm in for booth staffing if needed.  I can also bring Cyrus along in his Appleseed T-shirt if needed, he'll be down from Montana again that weekend and his mom is planning to attend.  He has a knack for attracting a crowd and sharing his enthusiasm with all ages.  Get back to me with your needs.

Toni

scoob

Quote from: mustanghills on May 09, 2014, 04:34:10 PM
I'm in for booth staffing if needed.  I can also bring Cyrus along in his Appleseed T-shirt if needed, he'll be down from Montana again that weekend and his mom is planning to attend.  He has a knack for attracting a crowd and sharing his enthusiasm with all ages.  Get back to me with your needs.
Toni

Thanks Toni!  We'll keep you in the loop when we nail down our staffing.  Would love to see Cyrus as well!
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

scoob

Communication with CHOIS update:

Q:  What is the booth size and layout? 
From your website, it appears to be approx. 8'x8' and backed up to a wall.  I'm planning on bringing an 8' folding table or two.  Do exhibitors provide their own backdrops, or is that part of the venue?

A: Our booths are 6 feet deep by 10 feet wide. They are piped and draped and come with an 8 foot skirted table and 2 chairs. I believe that our boothing providers have hooks that you can hang signage from the piping. Your booth is located on a middle aisle, so you will have draping behind you with no wall, and draping on both sides (3 feet high)  between you and your neighbor vendors.

Q:  Are there any prop restrictions (specifically firearms)? 
Appleseed instructors live to wake up sleeping Americans to their heritage by telling the stories of April 19, 1775.  We also teach the fundamentals of marksmanship and how it's an important element to that heritage.  Appleseed promo teams have been known to use muskets and modern firearms as static display props at promo booths.  If allowed in the venue, firearms will be unloaded (no ammo present), displayed in the background on a stand (not laying on the front table), and always under the watch and control of an Appleseed instructor.  We take safety very seriously.  I just wanted to highlight this and confirm if this is acceptable to convention staff.

A:  I talked with the church that hosts our convention and they are fine with the guns in the manner in which you have explained their use.

Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

scoob

Staff contact info:
Linda Patchin
Christian Homeschoolers Of Idaho State
PO Box 45062
Boise, Idaho 83711
www.chois.org

(Note to add phone and email to IAAR.)
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

George Hacker

I sent a PM to Lawrence this morning to see if I can get a new shipment of tri-folds. If not, we may have to go to print ourselves. Do you know any printers in the Boise area who are sympathetic to Project Appleseed?

ShadowMan

scoob

I haven't met any contacts in the printing business yet, but I think we have a new IIT that has.  ;)  I'll see what we can find out.

Also, I still have a stack of the old tri-folds.  I'll find out how many.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

Nero

I've got a box of the new trifolds that I brought with me from CA.  They are the new version, and not the California specific one.  There's about 2/3 of a medium flat rate box here, so I'd say at least a thousand.

There's also several hundred blank event promo flyers, the ones with AR Girl on the flip side.  I think scuzzy was testing a promo flyer generator - I'll see if I can get a bunch of those printed up to hand out for the Nampa shoots.

As far as rifles to show off, I could bring one of my 10/22 LTR loaners, and I've got an M1A that would show well.  I don't have anything to display them on.

scoob

Quote from: Nero on May 27, 2014, 05:00:15 PM
As far as rifles to show off, I could bring one of my 10/22 LTR loaners, and I've got an M1A that would show well.  I don't have anything to display them on.

Cool!  I was planning on building a pvc display stand for the long guns.  I'll set it up for four; your two and dad's two muskets.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

George Hacker

Got room for an M1 Garand that was purchased through the DCM (what the CMP used to be)?

scoob

Quote from: ShadowMan on May 27, 2014, 06:35:24 PM
Got room for an M1 Garand that was purchased through the DCM (what the CMP used to be)?

I was hoping your Garand and an M1A would be there.  I haven't built the stand yet, so the possibilities are endless!  I might have to switch to a wood rack though.  I have an idea... 
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

Nero

As I understand, Mike and George are doing the Strikes at some point during the day.  How many attendees do you anticipate?  I can run off copies of the history handout on my color printer.

scoob

I have no idea of how many participants.  If was to pull a guess, somewhere between 6 and 30 for the workshop that we're scheduled for 12:45 to 1:15 on Friday. (I thought we had an hour previous to just now checking the schedule)  George was going to do a brief intro/preliminary, and then I was going to do a condensed first strike, followed by George again with a short benediction/Q&A.  That's a lot to cram in to 30 minutes, so I'm wondering what we really should focus on.

http://www.chois.org/convention/workshop-descriptions-in-detail/
12:45-1:15
Room 200: Birth of a Nation - April 19, 1775--Project Appleseed

History doesn't have to be dry and boring. Learn about the actions of patriots such as Paul Revere, Margaret Gage, Samuel Prescott, John Parker, and Jonas Clarke. What can we learn from their experience and bravery? Project Appleseed volunteers tell their stories in a stirring way that will seem to make them come back to life.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho