News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak, AK Appleseed Oct 12-13, 2013

Started by fisherdawg, October 14, 2013, 03:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherdawg

This is a stub. ;)
More will be posted within 24 -48 hours. :wb:
Please feel free to add your comments & PHOTOS! (Shouting entirely intentional) >:D
4 New Rifleman: O0
Todd M.
Andrew A.
Kevin G.
Scott A.
Requal: O0 O0
Hogfamily
eagleriver
New IITs: ~~:) ~~:) ~~:)
Andrew
Kevin
Hogfamily
Promotions: ..:.. ..:..
Knox to IIT 1
Taka22 to IIT 2
(maybe more too)
Cold Wet Rain!
Some wind!
Round Count 442 :bow:
Full Rainbow and 20 awesome American Patriots -- ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
PRICELESS! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ..:.. ..:.. ..:..
@)
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

fisherdawg

Saturday Morning, October 12th, 2013, in Chugiak, Alaska was in full darkness at 7:15 am as a committed Team of volunteer Rifle Marksmanship Instructors arrived at Birchwood Range to set up for the a 2 day Project Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship and American Heritage Event. Twenty patriotic and enthusiastic Americans arrived between 8:15 and 9 am including 2 Walk-On participants.  Lina & Sid, we are glad you joined us!
Tracey S. also sent a pan of the world's best sticky roles with Knox for the Instructors and students. They may have been the secret ingredient that produced an excellent event. :) ;D O0
After the Safety Briefing and Introductions, we shot a Red Coat to establish a base line of marksmanship.  The participants understood the significance of marksmanship even before firing the first shot because of AlaskaRed's excellent recounting of Daniel Morgan & Timothy Murphy. O0
Almost 50% of our shooters were able to qualify at some distance, so we immediately knew we would have some good results over the weekend.
Knox, eagleriver, Taka222, and AlaskaRed joined me and we turned on the "Fire Hose" of instruction.  Our students brought teachable attitudes from one end of the line to the other and groups began to shrink as we covered Sling Use, Steady Hold Factors, Six Steps of Firing the Shot (Again & Again & Again) ;), Natural Point of Aim, Prone, Seated/Kneeling, Standing, Magazine Changes & Transitions.
We conducted a Ball & Dummy Drill during which instructors Carded Sights to check for proper verification of NPOA, as well as Sight Alignment and Cheek Weld isssues.
At Lunch, conducted close to the propane heater in the cool temperatures, our participants heard the true story of the First (eagleriver, thanks!! O0) & Second Strikes of the Match.  The answers to the Four Questions began to come into focus just as the Front Sight does in Step 4. a., right?
Drills were completed midafternoon and the Third Strike was ably told by Taka222  O0 and wrapped up by fisherdawg.  We adjourned to the Firing Line and shot the AQT, the Appleseed Qualification Test.  ;D  Upon completion, we found 2 new Alaskan Riflemen. ^:)^ ^:)^ Todd M. at his first Appleseed scored a 210. ..:.. Outstanding work Todd! (Some of us, including this Shoot Boss took more events than that [5]).  Next step, bring Chantele back as I know there's a Rifleman there too.  Andrew A. shot the high score of the day with a 222.  ..:.. ..:.. This was Andrew's third Appleseed, which may be the average to reach Rifleman, but there's nothing average about Andrew's Marksmanship or Commitment.  Way to go. O0 Bill J. (Hog Family) also requalified as Rifleman having previously shot the score in June.
The closing Red Coat found almost 2/3's of our shooters qualifying with 7 Shingle Shots & 3 Redcoats Cleared. Wow.
The Benediction completed, the group went to a well earned rest for the evening. :)
Sunday came with strong winds and the threat of heavy rain for later in the day. Teamwork by eagleriver, Knox, Taka222 and myself prepared the line for come what may.
What did come was 10 of the most committed, enthusisatic, persistant and teachable Americans to be found anywhere. We started with a Review of the Safety Rules, Safe Rifle and Knox introduced the Red Coat with story of Hezekiah Wyman, a very Dangerous Old Man.  Our shooters took it to heart and ten of ten qualified at some distance! ^-^
We reviewed the Course of Instruction and as we completed the last drill before starting the AQT, rain began.
And what a rain it was. Target backers were so wet that targets no longer required staples to stick in place.  The real challenge was scoring them before they became pulp!
The first AQT revealed Scott A. as a RifleMan.  :bow: I know he must have had a good breakfast as he scored 236  ..:.. ..:.., high score of the event and repeated Rifleman scores on additional AQT's.
With a break for lunch and the Heritage of David Lamson presented in eagleriver's inimitable style as well as Betty Zane, Pru Wright (Taka222), and Sam Whittemore by fisherdawg (me).
After lunch we went back to the AQT Grind as the 40 degree down pour continued. Randy M. and Kevin G. were knocking of the door. Trevor was getting close, Austin steadily improved and Tammy went from novice to a scored of 196!  Joseph &
Daniel improved steadily too in spite of the conditions.  Persistence WILL get you to your goals, boys. Andrew, Scott & Bill requaled. We broke the grind for Rifleman's Cadence Drill -- results illuminating, right? ;D As well as NPOA drill and a Team Star Shooter -- winners were the Right Side 5! :cool2:
We broke and taught KD. fisherdawg 'enjoyed' the laughter (eagleriver!) as about a gallon of 40 degree rainwater spilled between 2 popup canopies just in the right time & place to run done (my) neck to the inside of every single layer of clothing I had on. $$-0
eagleriver jumped in with Andrew's fine Marlin LTR and shot a requal in the 220's. Nice! :cool2:
Back to the Grind and a change of Eye Pro put Kevin G. over the top at his third Appleseed.  ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. Kevin, you have shot with us in some of our most challenging conditions including last year's infamous & brutal Windy Seed.  You displayed the essential traits of the Rifleman that won our Liberty -- perserverance. O0
As we finished the final Red Coat of the weekend, the clouds parted to reveal an impressive Rain Bow!  Photographic eveidence to follow. :)
At our closing hogfamily aka Bill J., Andrew & Kevin stepped forward to accept the Orange Hat of Instructor in Training. I look forward to traveling the AS trail with all of you.
Thank you to the many participants who helped to break down the line and stow a a hugh pile of soaked gear.
I appreciate it very much.  Thanks again to the Instructor Team:
eagleriver
Taka222
AlaskaRed
Knox
I hope you know how very very good you really are! ;D
During the closing hogfamily, aka Bill J., Andrew & Kevin stepped forward to take Orange hats.
I believe the following have an inner Rifleman waiting to make the score:
Matthew B.
Trevor (you're almost, there keep going!)
Michelle
Joseph
Shane
Travis
Daniel
Austin
Juan
Chantele
Randy (knocking of the door -- borrow a GI web sling next time)
Tammy (You are awesome!)
Ian
Jon
Lina
Sid
I hope to see you all again as soon as possible.
fisherdawg
:pics:
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

AlaskaRed

I'm glad to hear about Kevin and Tammy, I knew Kevin was right on the cusp of making rifleman and I strongly suspected that Tammy would make a huge breakthrough with a little work on her seated position. I just didn't think it would come so fast! Way to go guys.

fisherdawg

Matt,
Tammy had one target on Stage 4 of the AQT, last one I think, clover leaf all 3 holes touching!
Wow

hogfamily

Quote from: fisherdawg on October 14, 2013, 05:25:21 PM

....... fisherdawg 'enjoyed' the laughter (eagleriver!) as about a gallon of 40 degree rainwater spilled between 2 popup canopies just in the right time & place to run done (my) neck to the inside of every single layer of clothing I had on...........

Yup.....and I have proof.......

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

fisherdawg

Quote from: hogfamily on October 16, 2013, 12:47:08 AM
Quote from: fisherdawg on October 14, 2013, 05:25:21 PM

....... fisherdawg 'enjoyed' the laughter (eagleriver!) as about a gallon of 40 degree rainwater spilled between 2 popup canopies just in the right time & place to run done (my) neck to the inside of every single layer of clothing I had on...........

Yup.....and I have proof.......

That's priceless!

Taka222

Hogfamily, that is an awesome shot. ;D

More pictures will be coming tonight.
PREPAREDNESS - "When you need it and don't have it, you will sing a different tune." Burt Gummer

Taka222

Picture time!!
PREPAREDNESS - "When you need it and don't have it, you will sing a different tune." Burt Gummer

fisherdawg

Those are some good looking IIT's in the last picture!

fisherdawg

hogfamily

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

fisherdawg