News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ottawa, IL AAR

Started by TreadCarefully, September 09, 2008, 03:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreadCarefully

Another excellent weekend at Ottawa is in the books. 4 Riflemen, 30 shooters Saturday, 20 on Sunday. Beautiful weather, good cheap food (profits donated to local charity), one future Slovak Rifleman, and some great conversation. Pictures are forthcoming.

Great thanks to Ron and the Buffalo Range crew. They built a 25m range specifically for the Appleseed program and we are making good use of it. 6 events here next year? 8? April 19th already reserved for us.

Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

The Guy

Hmmmm....

2 events this year in Ottawa with no rain?  Whoda thunk it.

Was a load of fun, like always.

6-8 next year?  one a month?  Only time will tell.

colycat

I think it never rains for AS in Ottawa.  Sorry I missed it.  MN really needed me.  Not much action on this thread,  is it getting boring IL?  No pics?  How come Im still abuzz from the MN shoot and it seems like a yawn at Ot.???

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

TheEditor

I have pics; just my computer has not made it to the same place as me since Sunday.  Progress tomorrow. 

Boring?  We packed so much marksmanship instruction into Saturday, I had to do Second and Third Strike and Seventh Step - all in about five minutes.  And I did it, too.  (We had to squeeze it all in Saturday, because we had 8 one-day shooters on Saturday.)

TheEditor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

colycat

Editor,

people who can not make it a 2 day loose out.  My opinion.  I will never squeeze in the history to accommodate people who have to do something else on Sunday.  Cheats everyone.  Get them to know they are missing out and maybe they will come to the next one. ;D ;D ;D  Sunday after everyone is really tired and they hit the 2 oclock wall, do third strike.  Really hits home.  Just something to think about, there is no right or wrong way to do it. 
Thanks so much for doing it, anyway you think is the best.  There is no such thing as a bad AS.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Pappy

Hello Group; Well done to the new RIFLEMEN, You earned it!! To the soon to bee`s I hope to see you at the next Ottawa shoot on the 27 & 28 Sept. AS always and Keep them in the Black! Thanks To All; Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

shade

I was the tall guy there with the AR. I'd like to say thanks to the instructors for coming out. I learned WAY more about shooting over the weekend then I expected to. Changed a lot of what I thought I knew about shooting. On top of that, with the history, it left me with a lot to think about.

I have to say that Appleseed was not what I expected, but far better than I expected. Planning on making it out again in the spring, girlfriend wants to get some practice and try for Rifleman next time. Working on getting some friends out too.

Thanks again, and I look forward to the pics.

The Guy

It was good to have you, and by all means, bring her along.  A GF that shoots is a treasured thing to have.

Hope to see you again soon.  BTW, another at Ottawa at the end of the month!

TheEditor

Quotepeople who can not make it a 2 day loose out.  My opinion.  I will never squeeze in the history to accommodate people who have to do something else on Sunday.  Cheats everyone.

The plan was to re-do strike 2, strike 3, and do some more seventh step on Sunday.  Not sure if we accomplished that, but I'd rather the Saturday people get some history, and definitely some seventh step, than none. 

The more AS I do, the better I'll get. 

Anyway, I promised pics.  Here are the new riflemen: 

[attachment=1]
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Here is TC doing some of the history: 

[attachment=1]
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Nearest the camera:  Chuck S. properly places the butt of his M1A in the shoulder pocket.  Then, a couple Appleseeding - it's a beautiful thing.  Farther on, another of our Riflemen has expediently placed a piece of cardboard in front of the line, which has filled with a fine pile of his fired brass.  Easy cleanup, and the greenies love him because he will be recylcing that brass (is reloading considered "recycling"?). 

[attachment=1]
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Scoring an AQT

[attachment=1]
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

Garand69

Great Job Everyone!! Wish I could have made it.

4 new Rifleman in IL! The September Challenge carries on!!!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

OddBall

Just to put my two cents in....... I had alot of fun calling the line...... and alot of fun watching Guy shooting my sks. Yeah it wasnt sighted in yet. Im working on making it into a LTR SKS.
Hey Man, I'm drinking wine, eating cheese and catching some rays.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

colycat

Some one changed their screen name, Wes?  Wes, the Guy is always fun to watch shoot, anything.  Poetry in motion, I think.

Gosh, its really getting late,  but I am still abuzz from my 4th weekend in a row of AS.  Why is this so much fun???

CC

Sheepdog

Time to weigh in. Tried once before and lost the work...operator error no doubt. Anyhow enjoyed working with you all and look forward to when we do it again.  Many, Many thanks to the Papineau's for taking great care of us which included feeding us several times and the great lodging. Thanks so much!!
The range is great as is the staff. Very friendly, enthusiastic and patriotic! Good thing the shoot wasn't scheduled for this weekend or we'd have been washed out, again. Weather was perfect for this shoot.
We had a fine bunch of shooters egar for instruction and impressed with their results. I believe we created some believers in the program as their skills and understanding of the integrated act of shooting came together.
Appleseed works!!!
Best to all, SheepDog
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT