News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Green Dragon Tavern & Museum (Carlsbad California)

Started by caseten, October 07, 2013, 03:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseten

Colonial history on tap at tavern-museum

Please take the time to read this article:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Sep/09/carlsbad-green-dragon-history-museum-tavern/

QuoteCARLSBAD -- Construction crews have nearly completed an unusual tourist attraction in Carlsbad that aims to combine craft beers and fine dining with artifacts from American colonial history.

The Green Dragon Tavern & Museum, a project inspired by a historic Massachusetts bar where the Boston Tea Party was planned, aims to spice up the typical museum experience with some added attractions.

Those include a 100-seat "old world" tavern specializing in craft beers, a 115-seat restaurant with etched glass scenes of American history, and a 225-seat convention area with old-fashioned, cherry-stained walls.

QuoteOn display at the Green Dragon will be colonial-era documents from the collection of Rancho Santa Fe resident Bruce Bartlett, the man behind the entire project.

Bartlett is an avid collector of newspapers and documents from the era of the pilgrims through the Revolutionary War. His goal is sharing those artifacts with local residents, especially local children who typically don't get to visit historic cities like Boston and Philadelphia.

The museum itself will take up 1,000 square feet of the 22,000-square-foot Green Dragon complex. The 3-acre former Hadley's site was vacant for more than a decade before construction began last year on the Green Dragon.

Sounds like a great place to meet up with local San Diego/Riverside/Orange County residents and invite them to go to an Appleseed.  All for the Cause, you see...
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."  An excerpt from The Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides

"Necessity is the plea for ever infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt, 1783

"... in other words, whether the parliament can legally take money out of our pockets, without our consent. If they can, our boasted liberty is but "Vox et praeterea nihil." A sound and nothing else." - John Dickinson [Continental Congressman from Pennsylvania, Signer of the Constitution], Letters from a Farmer in Pennsylvania to the Inhabitants of the British Colonies - Letter II

George Hacker

I wonder if they serve flip.  We will have to quaff a couple pints together sometime, caseten.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Lakevillian

As a Boston area person, it seems more like Disneyland than an 'authentic' taveren.  I would assume that most of the real revolutionary era taverns would kind of dumpy, but be full of real patriots.  Fake americans in fake taverns, that's all we have now.  Sometimes I try to imagine what 1774 Boston would have been like to walk the streets and talk to the inhabitants.  I don't consider myself to be able to hold a candle to any of the founding generation.  Sorry for the rant, I'll go on my way now.

John
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God"

How to resist, that's the rub.......

m1jerm

Got to admit, sounds a little odd, but I live in Oceanside and am all for more craft beer venues. At the very least, one might be able to post up some Appleseed event info in a common room.

asminuteman

Thee closest thing to REAL Colonial on the west coast.......
http://www.rileysfarm.com/
Tv series filmed there, Movies made, living history reenactments.......Publick house & tavern......
food is great, thee farms, buildings and back country spot on......"for thee west coast" *granted*
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Charles McKinley

Sounds like the perfect venue for a Libertyseed.  So has anyone chatted up the proprietor yet?
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

bob 210

Right now there is a CA Instructor gathering being planned at Riley's Apple Farm for the first week of December. For more info go here:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=37509.0

Last year, Camljr and I attended "Christmas in the Colonies" which is a traditional Colonial dinner event. It was outstanding! Let it be known that a "Bloody British Butchery" currently hangs from the Tavern wall! Can the same thing be said for your house? ^-^ Hopefully Libraryseeds will follow.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

asminuteman

Yep and Master Riley (James) is proud of it!......thanks Bob

when ever a Thomas Paine reenactor is needed.....Mr Riley is thee go to man on thee west coast!....
just look up his youtube vids,with thee tea party rallies.....
Every Oct, he holds a dinner and protarys Mr Paine all evening....he has been doing this for two decades
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Merlin

I drive by it everyday, going to have to stop in and have an Ale soon.