News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manchester, TN Oct 5-6 AAR

Started by SureShotSpartan, October 07, 2013, 12:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SureShotSpartan

Our event was hosted by the Highland Rim Shooters Club and was held at the Arnold Air Force Base/Tennessee National Guard rifle range.  We started Saturday under a beautiful blue sky with mild temperatures and a gentle breeze.  As always, our gracious hosts treated the Instructors and participants to world class facilities and southern charm and hospitality!!

Under the watchful eye of Tncolonel, your humble author began his second SBiT event with the introductions and the SAFETY briefing.  In short order, the participants were able to chorus the Safety Rules and the steps to Safe Rifle on command.  I must say, they are a FINE group of Liberty minded Patriots and they were VERY attentive the entire weekend. 

Our morning Red Coat revealed that we had only two shooters that were effective at 200yds, but we were prepared.  Using a Course of Fire developed especially for this event as somewhat of an experiment, I was excited to get started.  The instruction began promptly and we were off......  ~~:)

Saturday morning was filled with world class instruction from Tncolonel, Ramblinwreck, Rusty, Regulator, Overmountain Man, TNEagle, crankybones and Booney Stomper, but the students, Mike, Glynn, Brendan, Laura, Andrew, Paul, Tex, Nick, Amy, Eric, Matthew and Greg, stole the show.  With each "NO-AMMO" exercise, they carefully absorbed the lesson being taught and seemed to grasp the finer points of marksmanship we were trying to convey.  These people know well what they are about!! O0

At various times during the morning, we were taken to Battle Road by Regulator with his inspired telling of Dangerous Old Men, Samuel Whittemore and Hezekiah Wyman.  During our lunch break, the events of April 19th were further brought to life by Ramblinwreck (First Strike) and Tncolonel (Second Strike), stirring our hearts for the cause of LIBERTY!!

After lunch, we moved back to the line for further instruction and additional drills. Throughout the afternoon, our hearty group of shooters continued to refine their newly minted skills!!  GREAT JOB!!!  They were rewarded with a mid-afternoon break for a passionate rendition of the Third Strike by Regulator!

Our group continued to IMPRESS as SEVERAL respectable scores were shot on the day's only AQT including a re-qualifying 239 by IIT Overmountain Man!!  The best non-Instructor score was certainly "nothing to sneeze at"!  Glynn shot a 210 and became the FIRST Rifleman of the weekend!!  HUZZAH!! 

Just prior to posting the Red Coat, Regulator treated us all to a wonderful telling of David Lamson and the DOM of Menotomy.  The excitement of all was honored when the afternoon's Red Coat revealed that SIX people were "qualified" to march with Daniel Morgan and Amy and Eric had also CLEARED the target!!   ..:..

Saturday's festivities closed with the benediction, and "proper refreshment" from the North River for Glynn, PROUDLY applied by his brother TNEagle!!  Rifleman brothers!!!  That's what I'm talking about!!!

On Sunday morning a chance of strong storms were in the forecast and the air was a bit cooler, but the "fire" was not!  Each Instructor and shooter that returned, including Tony, an attendee of a previous event, dutifully went to work as soon as they arrived.  Shortly after, Rusty and Ramblinwreck began reviewing Saturday's points of instruction and then we were ready to start!  :---

Just as we began our first AQT of the day, a STRONG storm cell moved into the area, dropping a massive amount of rain.  However, we were safe and DRY under the covered firing line!!   :cool2: With a very brief break to allow the DELUGE to stop, we were able to GENTLY replace our now soaked AQTs with fresh ones.  After gingerly scoring a few soaked targets, Rusty notified me of our FIRST qualifying target of the day, on the FIRST AQT of the day!!  HUZZAH!!

While the shooters were working through their second AQT, I anxiously awaited the arrival of our newest Rifleman's wife so that she could be there to share the PROUD moment.  Just as the anticipation was becoming too much, see appeared and we broke for lunch.  WHEW!!!   ^-^

During our lunch break, Ramblinwreck introduced the concepts of full distance shooting with an excellent presentation!!  GREAT JOB, WRECK!!! O0  The time had FINALLY come for me to make another Rifleman presentation.  It was truly an honor to reward my longtime friend Eric's score of 219 with a patch and a hug.  Great job Eric!!

Back on the line, we began to crank out AQTs and Rifleman scores!!  Eric shot another qualifying score of 213 and Tony became our THIRD Rifleman of the event with a score of 212!!! OUTSTANDING!! Throughout the afternoon, we had multiple scores that were VERY, VERY CLOSE including Mike's 207 and Matthew's 197!!  Great JOB!! 

Late in the afternoon, we were pleasantly surprised with a visit from a FOX News affiliate TV Station in Nashville, TN. The primary story was about an Honor Flight of WWII & Korean War veterans Tncolonel is taking to Washington D.C. next week.  Not wanting to let an opportunity to "Seventh Step" pass by, Tncolonel allowed them to film the last few AQTs as well as interview a few Instructors!!  WE'RE SPREADIN' THE WORD!!   :sb:  The news piece on Project Appleseed may be airing soon so check back often for possible details!

Thanks again to all of the participants and Instructors for making my second SBIT event such a memorable experience!!  Please add your pictures and comments!!

:pics:
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Maximum Ordinate

Manchester has always been a first class range to work and this weekend was no different.  To all of the Manchester shooters... it was a pleasure to work with you!  I know some of you drove a considerable distance to attend and I pray we met your expectations.  Congratulations to all the new Riflemen!

Y'all arrived with cheerful, teachable attitudes and had a great focus on safety, especially our two younger shooters.

I'll post a few pics when I get home later tonight.   :)

P.S.  Congrats to SBIT Spartan who ran a very professional event.  You rock!
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Ramblin' Wreck

We had a great time as we always do in Manchester. What a wonderful facility for an Appleseed.

Congratulations to the 4 new Riflemen and welcome to the instructor family to the 2 new Orange Hats. Huzzah!

SureShotSpartan did an excellent job on his 2nd SBit and I look forward to his third on during the upcoming mid-week shoot here at my home range in Rising Fawn on October 23-24.

May Liberty increase!

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

TNEagle

I think I am a better writer than speaker so I'll share this via the forum.

As I drove home Sunday evening from the clinic, I thought back over the weekend and something occured to me. How ever you start your Appleseed journey, it is a mutli-facited path. You may be there to earn your Rifleman patch, to pass your next PCO as an Instructor-In-Training or working to become a full-fledged Shoot Boss. Each path has goals along the way and you expect the best. Being human, you may not achieve your goal that first time. If you say you're not disappointed, you are lying to yourself. This disappointment should not derail you from your Appleseed path. Persist and overcome. Look at what you did, figure out what you need to do and ask for help.

Persistence in your Appleseed journey makes you a better person, strengthens the Appleseed family and takes us one step closer to saving this Country.
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison

TNEagle

RamblinWreck points out the Sitting position steady hold factors as OverMountainMan models.

BoonieStomper and OverMountainMan demonstrate the Standing position.

SureShotSpartan holds the shooters attention as he reads Patrick Henry's speech to the House of Burgesses on March 23, 1775.

Our first Rifleman of the weekend, Glynn, gets an Appleseed baptism for his 210 qualifying score.

The group on the left won the Team Volley challenge.

Eric, our second Rifleman of the weekend, tests his skills at 100 yards.

Tony was or third Rifleman of the weekend.

New Rifleman Glynn accepted the Orange Hat.

Our youngest shooters had a great time and will be back.

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison

SureShotSpartan

GREAT PICS!!!!  Poignant words on persistence, as well!!  HUZZAH!! O0
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

inSANEmom

Just a quick THANK YOU to all of the instructors for another great weekend. Since this was my second Appleseed, I was a bit concerned that the history lesson portions of the weekend would be "boring" since I heard it before. What I found instead was that hearing the same basic story, but told by different instructors, was still quite interesting. Different instructors give their unique perspective and focus more on parts of the story that resonate with them. It was as enjoyable to hear this time around as it was at my first Appleseed. (I also really appreciated the large maps that made it easier to visualize the routes taken by the different groups on April 19th.)

All the instructors were helpful and truly wanted to set each shooter up for success. I look forward to shooting again next month!
-----AMY-----

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. - Ronald Reagan

Old Buckeye

I want to thank all of the instructors for a great weekend!  This was my first Appleseed and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little frustrated the first day.  But thankfully, all of the instructors were extremely patient and many of my fellow participants were very helpful as well.   Unfortunately, that first day I mostly learned what I didn't know, if that makes sense.  Throughout the day I was reminded of something my Dad used to tell me, "All REAL learning is painful".  There is a lot more to learning to shooting well that I ever imagined.  But, I am not discouraged and I will persist.  I'm a pretty fair shooter with a pistol but this was my first real attempt to master rifle shooting. 

My son and I attended this event as a way to spend some quality time together.  He lives near Atlanta, GA and I live near Columbus, OH.  It was a long drive (especially the 8 hours in the raining going home) but it was definately worth the trip.  The facility was great and the Appleseed volunteers were outstanding people.  I was impressed with their dedication to our success and their devotion to our country.  Best of all, my son and I started a new hobby that I hope we can continue for many years to come.  And, although Andrew is way ahead of me at this point, don't think I'm not motivated to earn that Rifleman's patch before him.  Can't let the youngsters have all the fun!

SureShotSpartan

Quote from: Old Buckeye on October 09, 2013, 12:15:53 PM
I want to thank all of the instructors for a great weekend!  This was my first Appleseed and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little frustrated the first day.  But thankfully, all of the instructors were extremely patient and many of my fellow participants were very helpful as well.   Unfortunately, that first day I mostly learned what I didn't know, if that makes sense.  Throughout the day I was reminded of something my Dad used to tell me, "All REAL learning is painful".  There is a lot more to learning to shooting well that I ever imagined.  But, I am not discouraged and I will persist.  I'm a pretty fair shooter with a pistol but this was my first real attempt to master rifle shooting. 

My son and I attended this event as a way to spend some quality time together.  He lives near Atlanta, GA and I live near Columbus, OH.  It was a long drive (especially the 8 hours in the raining going home) but it was definately worth the trip.  The facility was great and the Appleseed volunteers were outstanding people.  I was impressed with their dedication to our success and their devotion to our country.  Best of all, my son and I started a new hobby that I hope we can continue for many years to come.  And, although Andrew is way ahead of me at this point, don't think I'm not motivated to earn that Rifleman's patch before him.  Can't let the youngsters have all the fun!

Huzzah!!!  It was our HONOR to share in your experience and I hope you join us again VERY soon. 

-Spartan
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

BluegrassColonel

My first Appleseed was a terrific experience.  The instructors were patient, very helpful, and encouraging.  I even had a fellow student let me "borrow" his target the second day (thanks, Glynn!).

I had a lot of mixed emotions attending the event.  I had hoped that some of my family could be with me, but I was glad that I had friends there.  I will eventually earn my rifleman badge and I hope to do so with my late son's rifle.  I would like to make it a family tradition that a rifleman badge is earned with that particular rifle.

My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

BluegrassColonel

A couple more pics:
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

SureShotSpartan

Quote from: bluegrasscolonel on October 14, 2013, 12:57:51 AM
My first Appleseed was a terrific experience.  The instructors were patient, very helpful, and encouraging.  I even had a fellow student let me "borrow" his target the second day (thanks, Glynn!).

I had a lot of mixed emotions attending the event.  I had hoped that some of my family could be with me, but I was glad that I had friends there.  I will eventually earn my rifleman badge and I hope to do so with my late son's rifle.  I would like to make it a family tradition that a rifleman badge is earned with that particular rifle.

That sounds like a GREAT tradition to get started!!
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19