News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

PR's Ride

Started by PHenry, September 03, 2008, 03:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

I am likely the last Appleseeder to figure this out, but just in case I am not. I found PR's Ride, by David Hackett Fisher available on-line today whilst ordering more copies. The entire book would appear to be on Google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZAvQfZFbLp4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Paul+Revere%27s+Ride+David+HAckett+Fischer&sig=ACfU3U2o99OslVmNmCuReo7Hz_usncIw0g

Update: Scout has pointed out (in PM form to save my ego  ::)) something I might have surmised. Caveat Emptor! The Google site only has the first 100 pages or so on line - duh! They want you to buy the book, which you should of course. So, it is still good for reading while you wait for your own copy to arrive!  Oops! ;D
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Wade

Ah I did not know I could read it online  :o, thats ok I would have ordered hard copy any ways I carry it with me in my truck to study.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

PHenry

10/4 same here - have one all tabbed and highlighted, but ya never know when ya might find yourself in a position without it and need!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

cwa11is

Just ordered a used copy from Amazon.  $6.99 + 3.99 shipping. 

SavageShootr

Thanks for posting the link to PR's Ride.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

PHenry

I just ordered 6 copies - all from different sources to hand out as prizes at events. The postage often exceeds the price of the books.

I even got a hard cover version - about the same cost as the others.

Hopefully, the publisher will see the demand and re-print it, as the current supply is very finite.

T191032

Checked it out of the local public library the other day and have been reading it.  Bless it, it is remarkably free of the underlining, highlighting and typical marks many put into the library books when they check them out (old school, may as well say that the librarian in elementary school was one of my teachers - perhaps instilled a bit of fear of marking up the books in her care. . . ;)  And that I take some pride in the condition of books I own, when possible. . .)
Have decided that I will purchase a copy!

Was at an auction this evening and got a copy of David McCullough's 1776 too.

oldgrunt

Okay I have the book and flipped the pages alot ...Now I would like to know if anyone can help me make a out line that will give me a good way to tell the match stories ????I know where alot of the stuff is in the books but is there a idot proof way to tell this that I can drill myself to death till its in my head for ever?

I've been pullin things out of my head alot when I talk AS stuff but I dont know how to get to the point that I can do it at the drop of a hat?

Thanks for any help..I know there are alot of english major's here so please try to keep it simple .For Iam a x army grunt and have to type with both arm's and feet to get this done..I was looking forward to the danger of old men blog but the old men forgot to keep posting this was a great tool but you all dropped the thread? well thanks  OLDGRUNT ...OUT
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

PHenry

OG,
The three strikes go like this:

1 Lexington Green

2 Concord and the north bridge

3 Meriam's corner

PM DonD - he has all three written up and would likely be willing to send them to you. I took his and added / subtracted to my own style and taste (hoping he will forgive me). I am still working on the third, but have one and two down cold.

Read PR's Ride at least there times. Tab the pages of important points and highlite them in the book for quick reference - or not. That's just how I did it and it works for me.

PM me if I can be of any help.

PHenry

slim

Just bought one off of E-Bay for $6.95 with shipping. Not that I'm a cheapskate or anything (sure, my wife would support me on that one...) but I checked at WaldenBooks yesterday and it was $21.95. I've been watching E-Bay for quite a while now trying to get a good deal on one. They're getting harder and harder to find at a discount.

Kind of like GI slings.... used to be you could find one for $5 or so. Now they're more expensive and a lot of sellers are "out of stock."

I wonder if there's some kind of nationwide program that's members keep buying up all these items..... hmmmm?

We'll know we've "won" when GI slings are $100 each and PR's Ride is handled with white gloves, "No, don't touch it, you'll mess it up!"

dwarven1

While DonD's writeups are great - I use them myself - I urge you to NOT use them on the line. Instead, make up cards (or one sheet) with bullet points and memorize the story. Use the bullet points to remind yourself of the paragraph that you're going to say.

I have said this over and over and I will keep repeating it until every instructor believes me - the problem with how we as a society teach history is that we make it boring and dead. You canNOT read this stuff - you'll put your shooters to sleep in a heartbeat.

TELL the story like you were there - put little bits in it to make it come alive. When talking about Captain Parker, mention the 2-3 guys who signed up for his company on the spot. TELL people how one on of them never made it home. When talking about Captain Davis, mention his 4 sick children... and that he was convinced he would die in battle because of the owl who perched on his favorite rifle only a few weeks earlier. "Take care of the children", he said to his wife as he went out the door - is there a father out there who would NOT worry about his kids? But he went anyway - it was his duty.

Folks, we are NOT just a marksmanship clinic. I can get that at any CMP event. We need to WAKE UP our sleeping American brethren, and we need to do that by TELLING THEM OUR HERITAGE!! They need to HEAR what our Founding Fathers sacrificed - what they did - the price they paid.

I did NOT go to three Appleseeds, drag my relatives to them, buy extra 10/22s I didn't really need and give them to my relatives just so I could shoot better. I did it because I BELEIVE in this program - because we NEED to wake up the sleeping Americans out there. Yes... we do it with marksmanship classes... BUT we also do it by teaching them their heritage.

Tell it to them like you were there... in the Passover Haggadah, the story of how the Jews went forth out of slavery in Egypt, we say "It is because of what the Lord did for me - MYSELF - when we went forth out of Egypt." Must work pretty well... we've been telling the same story for thousands of years now. That is what we Appleseed instructors need to do - We teach the heritage because of what our Founding Fathers did for me - personally - when we were freed from British rule.

[/soapbox]

If you want to get chills, go to an event where TheGuy is teaching and listen to HIM do it - why do you think I'm here?! 'Cause my first AS was one TheGuy was teaching at.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Nickle

Ross, you're a tough act to follow.

Folks, he's 100% right.

Have a sheet of "talking points". Pick a few things to jog your memory, and go with it. After a few times, you'll be good enough so your shooters listen, instead of falling asleep.

Old Grunt, I'm not 11B, but I am an old fart (oldest guy in my company, if not the Infantry Bn I support) that belongs to an Infantry unit. Look, guys, I'm an OLD maintenance puke, just an NCO Mechanic that supervises the wrecker crews.

I can do it, and so can you. Don't try to fool me, grunt's aren't dumb.

First Strike - Lexington Green, and all that lead up to it. Mention the Powder Alarms, and Paul Revere's Ride (and mention Dawes and Prescott), as well as the Redcoat's actions. Take note of who was there, on the Green, that fateful morning. I had 2 relatives there. Do your homework, you may have had family there.

Second Strike - Concord and the North Bridge. Make sure to mention what happened, and the names and people involved. Isaac Davis is a story to be told. I just hope to measure up to his standards in my life.

Third Strike - Merriams Corner, the "Bloody Curve" and Parker's Revenge for a start.

Add a few things here. The actions back at Lexington, the trip through Menotomy (the toughest fighting of the day) and Heath's "Circle of fire".

Now, don't forget Dangerous Old Men. Might as well mention the ladies as well.

Hezekiah Wyman
Samuel Whittemore
David Lamson
The Old Woman the Grenadiers that Lamson ambushed surrenderd to (I'll have to check my notes), prob page 244 or so in the book.
Prue Wright

And that's just a start. Tell your audience to do their checking. Tell them Nickle found out through a little research that he had 2 relatives there on Lexington Green. John Chandler and John Chandler Jr. I might even be directly descended from them, as my mother is a Chandler.

Above all, make it interesting.

3 strikes. Like striking a hard to light match 3 times.

Passive response - Lexington
Reactive response - Concord
Proactive response - everything after Concord
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

PHenry

d1,
I fully agree. I used talking points, or bullets, as you say at first, now I can do the 2nd strike hardly glancing at the paper. Not patting myself on the back here - just making a point. I can now belt it out, looking them square in the eye. I just received an Email from a young woman that attended the Hernando event - she said:

Thank you so very much for taking the time to come to the recent Appleseed in Hernando County, for teaching us rifleman skills and for sharing the amazing historical stories of our forefathers.  I left there feeling completely inspired by the spirit and courage of our forefathers and profoundly moved by what they went through and the sacrifices they made.  Some of the stories brought tears to my eyes they were so moving.

I plan to work to help bring an Appleseed event to North East Florida.  It is needed in so many ways.

Thank you again for everything.  You are truly an inspiration!

And they say we don't git paid here! That is what I do it for. Not for the kind words, but for the privilege of knowing people like her.

Nickle,
I have of late been doing a bit on Sunday - during the end of the lunch break that I call "Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women". I like to git in several stories about women, as I feel it is important to let the attendees know that it took more than just men to rest this nation from the King's tyranny!

"Shooters! Gather 'round! Come on in close so you can hear.

I would like to tell you some stories of bravery and sacrifice! These are the true tales of Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women! No it weren't just young men that rested this great nation of ours from the bonds of tyranny.

Let me begin by telling you about Samuel Whittemore. Samuel Whittemore was 78 years old and badly crippled, but he was a veteran of the French and Indian wars and a staunch Whig.............................."

To hear the rest - you'll just have to attend an event!  8)

oldgrunt

I have had a ball with all the PM's and E-mails....Sure I sound like a hick and maybe I should try to use bigger words .lmao...But from all these pointers and history lessons I will have a spin on this that will please...Thanks alot I think alot of others here will benefit from my inquiry on this subject.

Maybe one day soon I can hear 'The Guy' tell it to standard.....So much for deer hunting I need to plan it around Appleseeding events next year ..till then I will go dig up my copy of grammar and writing skills ..lol So I dont look like a hick with a keyboard...at least I dont have dail up anymore..

........One 11b oldgrunt trying to keep up the standard.....I did have a SQT and ASFAB score that would have made me a cook back then ..lmao..bye guysss

Iron Mike

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

Fred

History, yes, but history connected to the present.

During the First Strike, you talk about The Choice they faced, and made:

On the one hand,

a scaffold      British steel and lead     dying a shameful traitor   

no insurance to take care of the wife and kids (and they had a LOT of kids in those days), which means you left them impoverished, or sponging, if lucky, off relatives...

a wound to the body/head at least killed you quickly; a wound to an extremity meant a likely painful and lingering death (Remember Dr. Prescott's brother, shot and wounded at the South Bridge on 4.19, died in AUGUST)

And survive a wound? Then you're likely crippled in a time when you still had to make your way in the world, and support yourself and your family (tie in with the guy with multiple amputations on his leg - they were trying to save as much of him as possible, so he could support himself and family, I bet)

Now, that's on one side of the ledger. But it's not all that's on that side. What if I were to hand you a smooth-bore, and tell you it's effective on a man-sized target at 65-75 yards and with some practice you can get 4 shots a minute off - then tell you "in a few hours there'll be hundreds of Redcoats coming down this road, and I want you to stand here, 65 yards away, and stop 'em - but be careful - after that first shot, you'll have to run if you want to avoid a British bayonet..."

All that? But there's more. Once you make The Choice, once you pull the trigger on the first shot, you never go home again. You may wake up a loyal subject of the Crown, but you go to bed - if you go to bed - a traitor with a price on his head. Give up security, give up tranquility, give up peace of mind.

From then on, it's "24/7/365" - and the only way out is to fight, win Liberty - or fight, and die for Liberty.

"Liberty, or Death" - not just pretty words, back then. We will never appreciate The Choice, because none of us will ever have to make it.

But let's take a minute and look at the other side of the equation - the reasons for doing it, for risking all those risks.

You get the right to kick open a door to a dark future, and march boldly thru, into an unknown future that would terrify most of us.

Of course, we know they won, with the benefit of hindsight and history. But they did not know it - and looking at the history of the Rev War, it was nip-and-tuck for most of the 8 years the war lasted. Heck, even at the end there were threats - whether the army would try to seize power, or at least shake down congress for back pay - even fears that Vermont would secede and go to the British side, and become part of Canada.

What a Choice! No certainty of winning, plenty of certainty of death and hardship.

But you don't end The Story here: you ask them how many of them would make The Choice. How many of their fellow Americans, right here, right now, if faced with The Choice - Liberty, or Death - would make the same choice they made back on April 19, 1775. Believe me, few would. Which is the reason for Appleseed.

Framing things this way puts The Story in perspective. No longer a recitation of cut-and-dried facts. No sir, people like us, faced with a Choice none of us would want to make, and yet, given the Choice, making a decision that brings them honor and glory - and throws us, today, into sharp contrast.

Guarantee, by the time you get thru with this, there'll be a lot of serious faces in your audience, quite a few looking down, as it all sinks in - which is what it ougta do...

That's the first strike of the match: The Choice. You can't really tell The Story without telling about The Choice.

Then there's the second strike. More on that, later. :D

PS: You can sometimes tell the above as a "stand alone" - and a great time to do it, is in the ten minutes before they shoot first the first Redcoat. Now, you're framing the entire Appleseed weekend for them!

And if you want to rip their guts out (and you always will) finish up with "they sacrificed life, limb, and liberty so that, a mere two hundred years later, we can forget all about 'em. Being savvy about human nature, they worried about that."

Then hit 'em with the John Adams quote, and don't bother to memorize his exact words (they're not quite up to 21st-century 'bludgeoning them between the eyes' anyway), simply say "John Adams toured what became later known as Battle Road on the day after. He saw the fleeing families, worldly goods piled on wagons, fearing a return of the redcoats; he saw the militia companies pushing thru the crowds, making their way to Boston; he saw the dead being buried; he heard the cries of the wounded - and he smelled the smoke from the burned houses - and he left us a message: 'Posterity [which means us], you will never know the sacrifice our generation made for your liberty. If you ever forget - if you ever forget [he didn't repeat, but you do, because you want to drive the point home, right into their hearts] - [slight pause] - we'll be sorry we ever made the effort...'

"That's a message, straight from a Founder, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, right to your heart...

"Now, let's go shoot some Redcoats..." ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Nickle

Quote from: oldgrunt on October 16, 2008, 07:06:24 PM
I have had a ball with all the PM's and E-mails....Sure I sound like a hick and maybe I should try to use bigger words .lmao...But from all these pointers and history lessons I will have a spin on this that will please...Thanks alot I think alot of others here will benefit from my inquiry on this subject.

Maybe one day soon I can hear 'The Guy' tell it to standard.....So much for deer hunting I need to plan it around Appleseeding events next year ..till then I will go dig up my copy of grammar and writing skills ..lol So I dont look like a hick with a keyboard...at least I dont have dail up anymore..

........One 11b oldgrunt trying to keep up the standard.....I did have a SQT and ASFAB that would have made me a cook back then ..lmao..bye guysss

Army ANCOC (63B) at Aberdeen back in 1989 (I had been 17 years then) had a course in Effective writing. They taught us what a clarity index was. Basically speaking, you avoid using words bigger than 2 syllables and senteces more than 15 words. Write at an 8th or 9th grade level. Amazingly, you'll be understood. The point here is your English is just fine.

Now hearing The Guy, or even Fred tell the story is a real treat. I've been told I'm OK at it, but I know better. I am improving, all the time, and every time I tell it.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Nickle

OK, as promised, Dangerous Old Men (and ladies) with references to PRR. These are just overviews. Read the book yourselves, and learn even more.

page 243

David Lamson & party. Ambushed and captured 2 ammo wagons (1 officer, 13 men) Gen Gage had sent, after Lord Percy set out from Boston.

page 244

Mother Batherick. An old poor woman, that lived on what she could scrounge up, like old plants and such from fields. She took 6 Grenadiers from the above ammo party captive, when she caught them hiding. You can figure they dropped their muskets and ran. Later on, critics of Lord North's ministry said "If one old woman can take 6 Grenadiers, how many soldiers will it take to conquer America".

page 254

Hezekiah Wyman (55, and April 19th was his birthday) A tall, gaunt man, with long gray locks, mounted on a white horse. The Redcoats figured he was the "Angel of Death" on "Death's Pale Horse". He was a crack shot. Shot the Redcoats at moderate distances, firing a shot or two/three, then mounting up and moving on, to do it again. Now, I figure he had to be using a rifle, though there is no evidence to support it. Remember the musket was good to just 65-75 yards, no more. He was getting hits probably well over that. I'll tell you the Redcoats were right about fearing him. (FWIW, I turn 54 next month, and wish I was half as dangerous as he was.)

page 256

Jason Russell (58) "An Englishman's home is his castle." He could barely walk (how I feel sometimes, bad Arthritis). He stood his ground in his home in Menotomy, and others stood with him. He was found later by his wife and children, bayoneted numerous times, dead. 11 other Colonists were founf with him.

page 257

Samuel Whittemore (78) Had a musket, 2 pistols and an old cavalry saber. Fired at distances up to 150 yards, 5 shots with such speed and accuracy (doesn't sound like a smoothbore musket, does it?) that a large detachment was sent to root him out. As they went after him, he killed one with his musket, shot 2 with his pistols and was reaching for his saber when they shot off part of his face. THey then bayoneted him numerous times. He was found barely alive, bleeding from no less than 14 wounds. He lived another 18 years, died at 96 years old. This is the definition of a tough old buzzard.

Look through the book, check out Prue Wright, she was Captain Wright's wife ( he as from the Pepperell Militia). When the men left to march on Lexington, the ladies from the town formed a militia group, elected her Captain, and named it "Mrs Wright's Militia". They took a Tory Captain captive, made him dismount, searched him, found incriminating papers, and turned him over to Groton the next day.

Now, ask yourselves if YOU could do what these old men and ladies did. I know a few that can, and will. I still serve, for another 2+ years, maybe doing a tour in Afghanistan. If I go there, I will celebrate my 56th birthday there. Am I a "Dangerous Old Man"? Certainly not like the ones back on April 19th, yet. Time will tell.

SavageShootr

Great information here.

I'd like to add a little information found elsewhere. The information in PR's Ride was very good, but I wanted more.

If you check the internet, google  Prudence Cummings Wright and you will find more information, for example:

While Prue was at her mothers home, following the death of her son Liberty Wright, she overheard her brother, a Tory, and his cohort discussing their plan. She went home to Pepperell. Prue's brother Samuel, and his friend were riding that night through Pepperell when Prue and her band halted them. Prue's brother heard his sisters voice and knew she meant business, so he turned around and made his escape. His cohort, Benjamin Whiting, was the man captured and imprisoned that night. The British did not receive the message from these two regarding the location of gunpowder hidden by the "rebel" Patriots.

In PR's ride the location of Prue's story is on page 170.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

oldgrunt

Been 60 days since this was seen .....New folks should enjoy this I did ... O0
                                         Iron Mike

THOMAS PAINE

dwarven1

This needs to be bumped up again. I need to remind myself of this thread periodically before shoots just so I am certain that I'm fired up... so that I can get our shooters fired up.

Tell it to them like you were there... in the Passover Haggadah, the story of how the Jews went forth out of slavery in Egypt, we say "It is because of what the Lord did for me - MYSELF - when we went forth out of Egypt." Must work pretty well... we've been telling the same story for thousands of years now. That is what we Appleseed instructors need to do - We teach the heritage because of what our Founding Fathers did for me - personally - when we were freed from British rule.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Sly223

I love the first strike it is my personal, favorite, Because I can comfortably "Nail" it! O0
The Second Strike for me is marginal getting better struggle with the order of these peticular events! ++)
The third strike is fun the running fight back to Boston and no more do not fire unless fired upon! It's On :---
Don't forget Dangerous old Men Brave women, and the Children of liberty! You Are IT on Sunday hit it outta the Park. I cut my gums on D.O.M.&BW, Great oppuortunity for IIT's to tell a story for the first time and to what they are comfortable with, Too much too fast!Be sure someone is there to save the Day!!
I never imagined loving to tell history more than the instruction, its about the same.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

PHenry

Quotethe Children of liberty!

S223, me thinks u r on to something here. I know that sir Willorith has a couple of these and there are likely others. DonD, so far as I know, pioneered the DOM concept and being the only child of a single mother, I, along with others pushed for Brave Women - both of which have slowly become SOP at events. Now we might all look at adding some Children of Liberty stories to garner the interest of the kids, as they are most important of all in the long run of our mission.

Sly223

I think the demographics of this period dictates, and I know my first event was a blurry, But I still remember Brown Bess's DOM&BW.
This is very moving and for the most part the only history on Sunday. I notice people starting to identify with the characters and  associating with them or others on the line.
Rekindles the spark before they realize how tired they are.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!