News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Yellville AAR

Started by smle, August 25, 2008, 01:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smle

It was a greater than expected turnout. I'm having trouble believeing I pulled it off, with a lot of help.

More to follow later.

smle ::)
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid
If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. Ronald Reagan
Courage is being scared to death - but saddleing up anyway. John Wayne

K98Al

Pulled it off in grand fashion! Thanks SMLE. Camp was great, folks were great, wish I didn't have to leave early Sunday. The guy I brought is fired up, I hope to have a couple more at the next shoot. Great history by Alex, Dean,Phil and Iowa Mark - my buddy talked about that quite a lot on the way home - it made quite an impression. I still didn't make rifleman, but I got some really cool brass burns....

Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

IRONCLAD

Quote from: K98Al on August 25, 2008, 02:49:48 PM
Pulled it off in grand fashion! Thanks SMLE. Camp was great, folks were great, wish I didn't have to leave early Sunday. The guy I brought is fired up, I hope to have a couple more at the next shoot. Great history by Alex, Dean,Phil and Iowa Mark - my buddy talked about that quite a lot on the way home - it made quite an impression. I still didn't make rifleman, but I got some really cool brass burns....

I feel you about the brass burns.... they are great aren't they....LOL

orvpark

Ahh yes I have plenty of .22 and 7.62 tatoos myself.

My crew had an excelent time, thanks alot for making one of ours a Rifleman.  We had to hear about it all the way home ;)

We are working on putting one together in Hot Springs so keep your eyes open!

BJ Richardson (AKA Barry)
Superlift ORV Park

funfaler

K98AI and orvpark, welcome aboard!

Now you have seen first hand, what an Appleseed is about, and sounds like you fellas have the benefit of a bulit in "crew" to help you with your shoot! ;)

Still plenty of time in 2008, to have a second or third Arkansas Appleseed, so don't hesitate in contacting smle with your desires.  We really try to plan a minimum of 60 days for these shoot, so we are looking at first of Nov at the earliest....give you folks some time to heal your brass burns  :o ;D

With a couple more turn outs like the one in Yellville, we will have to plan on an Instructor Course in Arkansas for early 2009.....and perhaps an April 19th shoot to follow it up......Arkansas....good to have you aboard!

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Hotshot

Thanks to everyone that helped get this going and the great instructers.I learned a lot and will keep practicing so at the next one I may be able to make rifleman.

goatlady

Whoops!!! I already posted yesterday - apparently in the wrong area!  thank you, thank you ALL.  Sorry I "pooped" out so early, but I really appreciate all the instruction and patience.  Prone is DEFINITELY my position. LOL.  I'll NEVER make Rifleman, but that's okay as long as I can keep getting those head shots - surprised the heck out of me on that one.  I sort of cheated though, fired that particular one first - before my eyes started getting fuzzy.  GREAT instructors all, they really know how to present information in a way that makes sense and their attitudes were OUTSTANDING so that even their "criticism" came across as requests and suggestions consistently for 2 whole days!  thanks muchly. 

hawkhavn

goatlady,

Glad you made your way to our little corner of the internet!
If you need anything, don't hesitate to yell out here or over at ToL.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

didactic

Thank YOU, goatlady.  You're a trooper!

Come back any time.  You never know, you might surprise yourself.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

Fred

QuoteI'll NEVER make Rifleman

goatlady, are you telling us not only your eyes fuzzed up on you, but your ears fuzzed up, too? Does the word "persistence" ring a bell?

Heck, you have no idea what you can do, until you try - and keep on trying.

Of course, I bet that was said in jest, just to see who'd fall for thinking you were serious... ;D ;D ;D

PS: Forget about "rifleman". Set your eyes on "instructor". The "rifleman" part comes along the way. 8)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

smle

There are a lot of people to thank for this shoot going as well as it did.
Ironclad for the use of his land.
The instructors; IowaMark, Longshot, didactic, PJEvans, Azel and one of our newest IITs Armada(hope I spelled that right).
Special Thanks go out to K98Al, Alex, Oldgrunt, Billy(first timer), the folks from OK that I can't remember their names, K98Al buddy, Paul(who stood by with his duece and a half to make sure no got stuck) and a host of others that I can't remember names of.
Oh! And Steve who added an international flavor, hailing from Jamacia, shot a perfect redcoat target on Saturday. Where do I post that picture?

It was FANTASTIC!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to all.

smle

Tweeder

Quote from: orvpark on August 25, 2008, 04:04:20 PM
We had to hear about it all the way home ;)

stuff it, goofus. ::) 

how many other Riflemen after we left?

-William Tweedy

IOWA-mark

You were the only one.  There were others close on your trail though.  The line was red hot with quite a few in the 180s, good groups in the wrong places.  A little more time and I think there would have been four more.-mark

IOWA-mark

some Redcoat Data:

Day ONE Opening      Day ONE Closing      Day TWO Opening   24hrs 
          shooters                     shooters               shooters         change

100 yd       5                          10                    17 or  56%         +340%

200yd        4                            8                     9 or 30%          +225%

300yd        1                            2                     4 or 13%         +400%     

400yd        0                            1                     2 or  7%

250yd        1                            2                     5 or 17%           +500%

I did not record the end of day two results as we had lost quite a few shooters by then.-mark

IOWA-mark

SMLE thanks your were a great host, always on the spot and ready to run, fetch, fix. Thankyou so much. You made it all run easier.

Well, I know we all must say it every Monday after we return home, but here I go again.  You just meet the nicest people at Appleseeds!

I also continue to amaze myself at my small world provincialness (possibly a new word) and how much I learn when I get out to Appleseeds in other states.  I am certain that as a flat lander I must have entertained you all but thanks for being polite and not laughing too much!  Will I be able to drive out of here?  What's poisonous or bites around here? What do you do about ticks? Is it going to rain here, etc.   Well, you all were right.  I drove right up the hill no problem.  Only wore one tick home, no problem.  In the hills, you know its raining when its wet, until then, it probably will miss you, no problem.

I would love to come back again. You were a great bunch!-mark

ps.  Thanks again Paul.  Knowing that you would bring the duece & a half on Sunday and that you would tow me out if needed really did let me sleep better!

voortrekker

Quote from: IOWA-mark on August 26, 2008, 10:47:43 PM
some Redcoat Data:

Day ONE Opening      Day ONE Closing      Day TWO Opening   24hrs 
          shooters                     shooters               shooters         change

100 yd       5                          10                    17 or  56%         +340%

200yd        4                            8                     9 or 30%          +225%

300yd        1                            2                     4 or 13%         +400%     

400yd        0                            1                     2 or  7%

250yd        1                            2                     5 or 17%           +500%

I did not record the end of day two results as we had lost quite a few shooters by then.-mark

Thanks for the stats Mark.

Those numbers are great!

I've thought for sometime about the potential for gathering statistics at every Appleseed Project shoot.

The variables to measure could be small or extensive.

Whether small or extensive, it will only help progress and measure Appleseed Project progress.

HHmmmmm.

You've got me thinking bigger here about the Rifleman's Universe and how to further it.

....................thinking here...............

Statistics, the Arkansas whetstone, if you will, to better hone more Riflemen on the Appleseed line.

Understanding and using statistics WILL point to efficiency.

Understanding and using statistics WILL point to all kinds of variables that most would have not even considered.

It'll give information that will polish the steel.  Sorta speakin'

Great job in Yellville, Mark!!!

I hope didactic and pjevens made TX and OK proud.

Both of whom were looking very forward to instructing in Yellville.

Brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

smle

From my point of view, all of the instructors made their home states proud.

I've recieved a couple of feedbacks via regular e-mail and they all say the same.

EXCELLENT JOB

All also stated that they learned a lot. Hope to see all of them at the next one.

smle

IRONCLAD

I wish I was able to keep the land to make this a all year around event, but as of today the top 20 acres were sold.  At the end of next month, the other two pieces should be sold as well, unless someone here buys it.

Thanks smle for the help in selling the land by having a great event.  I should be up there at the end of Sept. to visit with the new ower of the land.   So, i hope to meet with you and maybe work something out with the new owner of the land for next years event.

take care and hope to see you soon.

goatlady

We'll have to find and position a new firing line next year cause they're gonna build their home right smack there! 

Funny, to me, after action report:  How do you know you were NOT holding your rifle snug enough against your shoulder for 2 days?  on the second day AFTER the shoot, you h"op" out of the shower, and catch a glimpse in the mirror of this HUGE oblong bruise right THERE!!!  AAAAAGHGHHHH.  Not sore, but sure noticable.  My left arm is a tad sore from learning to use and manage a Hasty.  That's okay though, just good reminders of the lessons to remember and practice.  Glad everybody made it home safe and sound and relatively tick-less. 

oldgrunt

Speak for your self goatlady still findin some in my gear ..man the ticks...
Hey if anyone got some good pic remeber to share some  how.
Some of us didnt have time to play shutter bug? To much to do and see ..lol
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

IRONCLAD

Yes, please share pictures with us.

Longshot

Wow, where to start?

Arrived late Fri. nite after too many hours of work and driving, set camp, and got about 6 hours of shut-eye. 6:00 am Sat. morn. the Appleseed engineers got to work "fine tuning" the range with weed-eaters and loppers. All was good when the shooters began to arrive, and soon the first Redcoat was hung and shot(LOL) and everyone knew exactly where they stood on the Rifleman scale. Onward, squares, stars, 6 steps, NPOA, slings etc., not necessarily in that order.

Relays were made necessary by the spectacular (really) turnout, and the shooters were patient and ready to learn. The weather cooperated, a little muggy but not really too hot for Ark. in August. Various uninvited biting insects made their presence known, but the Rifleman spirit showed and the shooters persisted. Saturday ended with no new Riflemen, but our Jamaican stalwart (Steve) shot a clean Redcoat
to finish the day.

Sunday morn. began with another " Engineering" session to lengthen the line, and when the shooting started, every one had a place, no more relays! Things picked up pace, and by noon we had our first new Rifleman, William. Sadly, he and his buddies had to leave early, so they missed most of the AQT's that day, but I think we'll be hearing from them soon....

IOWA-mark, Azel, and Didactic did yeomans service telling the story of April 19.

Various shooters left the line throughout the day, ending with about 15 persisters. The weather thought it had something to say, clouding up and making lots of noise, but us "Ozarkies" knew better and after a 15 min. break the shoot continued. The day concluded with no new Riflemen, but several beating the door down. After Seventh Step and a cheer for Riflemen, the shooters  dispersed to continue to "Shoot, Recruit, Educate, Communicate"

There were several standouts and special kudos to mention;

Smle, Ben, for singlehandedly making this shoot happen. He had support in the form of a site, but when the chips fell, his were the boots on the ground. Well done, Ben.

William, our lone Rifleman, who epitomized "Persistence", shooting under physical difficulty, adapting and kicking butt!

Goatlady, wearing a monster leg brace, and giving it *ell as long as she could.

IOWA-mark, for his optimism and ability to "roll with it".

Azel, for keeping us all thinking and on our toes

Didactic, for being didactic. and making a killer breakfast.

PJEvans, for working despite a painful injury, AND bringing several new Appleseeders

Oldgrunt, whose contributions did NOT go unoticed.

Armada, for finally deciding to be an IIT

Alex, (age 12?) for making my weekend by declaring me to be his "favorite instructor" LOL!

And finally.....

Hear ye! Hear ye! Steve, our Jamaican shooter who beat on the Rifleman door all weekend, refused to go home a Cook. He arranged to stay an extra 2 days, and yesterday shot a Rifleman score of 214 on my 25 meter range, with myself and Armada in attendance and calling the line.
He leaves for home tomorrow, and our island neighbor will now have at least one man "who knows very well what he is about". May the Rifleman Spirit go with him and spread throughput his homeland.

Longshot
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

smle

Steve made rifleman........YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ;D ;)

Hope you got pics of him with his target.

smle

cannonman61

Say Longshot,

Did you make use of the box and do the shoot in period attire?  ;) he he he.

Seriuosly, I'd love to see some pictures of this shoot and the site smle came up with.

Sounds like a good shoot. Congrats!

CM
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Longshot

Dave,
Sorry, but no. If I had worn the attire I would have to have it fumigated for ticks! I am wearing out that bayonet, though!

I hereby PROMISE to stand and deliver history at the Osage Beach Appleseed in full Rev. War period dress. I could really use a musket, though. Even a non-firing replica. Anybody?

Longshot
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

funfaler

Quote from: Longshot on August 28, 2008, 09:56:39 PM
Dave,
Sorry, but no. If I had worn the attire I would have to have it fumigated for ticks! I am wearing out that bayonet, though!

I hereby PROMISE to stand and deliver history at the Osage Beach Appleseed in full Rev. War period dress. I could really use a musket, though. Even a non-firing replica. Anybody?

Longshot

I can not recommend enough  CONTACT YOUR LOCAL CHAPTER OF THE SONS OF THE REVOLUTION!!    They have a parallel mission statement as Appleseed, they may be able to supply this sort of support. 

Folks, I am about to become a one man band on this subject.  There is a tremendous opportunity there, and a partnership just waiting to be forged!

There is little doubt that the SARs could be a great resource, not only in material, but in Heritage too.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

cannonman61

Longshot,

How about a firing model?

I have a line on a Pedrosoli that will be very affordable. They run over 1K new in the Dixie cataloge. I think I can get you this one for 300 + shipping.

What say you?

didactic

If Longshot doesn't take it, I will.

I've been drooling over the pictures in the DGW and Cabela's catalogs, pretty but pricey.

Bayonet included?

"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

cannonman61

PM indbound to you Didactic.

I may try to get a couple more from retiring reenactors if others are interested.
It's sad, but the troops are aging fast and when they go, so does their equipment.

Instructors, to prevent further highjacking of this thread, look under Instructor resources for a neat new project for active instructors, akin to the rev war boxes already out there.

oldgrunt

Like I told a few of already .Just buy one so I can come back home and let my buddies see my face burned off from flash fire.I know I got a few that would pay to see that...some friends they are...Either way if you come back in the southwest region someone bring a smoke pole please....
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE