News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Question?

Started by para45acp, May 10, 2013, 12:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

para45acp

Is there a convenient way to navigate back out to the home page from the forums? I've been looking for an "intuitive" button that would facilitate this. I know I can go back out to the browser or my favorites for that, but it's something most people are used to on a site with a forum.

The reason I am looking for this navigational tool, stems form the fact that in the forums, all the schedules are from '12 and neither the main "Schedule Board" nor our Ohio board have a '13 schedule showing. I have folks asking when they can register for our June 1-2 shoot, and don't want to direct them to the website till it's up. Since I normally come directly to the forums, I have to navigate back to the home page to check if our shoot has been added out on that schedule.

The local tea party folks want to blast this June shoot out on their email list, and plaster the community with flyers, but they want folks to be able to register immediately. Hope it can get added soon...I know you are swamped Julia, but can we get the date up there and open up registration even if the paperwork I gave you still needs a litte tweak? ???
Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

slim

I'd like to help with that but I'm about as tech-savvy as, well, someone who's not very tech-savvy.

jwebster

The Appleseed homepage (http://appleseedinfo.org/) or the Appleseed Forums homepage (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php)?

Transform

Quote from: para45acp on May 10, 2013, 12:57:00 PM
Is there a convenient way to navigate back out to the home page from the forums? I've been looking for an "intuitive" button that would facilitate this.

The most convenient way to navigate would be with a bookmark or favorite to the Ohio schedule:
http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=OH&statename=Ohio

If you don't want to use a favorite, then open a new browser window (ctrl+n) and type "appleseedinfo.org" into the address bar at the top, then hit enter. That way you can have both the forum and the schedule open at once.

The reason I am looking for this navigational tool, stems form the fact that in the forums, all the schedules are from '12 and neither the main "Schedule Board" nor our Ohio board have a '13 schedule showing.

Although it is no longer necessary to have a 2013 schedule showing on the forum, since it has now been moved to the webpage, you could post the Ohio 2013 schedule on your state board if you see a need for it. Since Appleseed is an all-volunteer organization, the one who identifies a problem is usually the one who fixes it.

I have folks asking when they can register for our June 1-2 shoot, and don't want to direct them to the website till it's up.

That's great! Please go ahead and direct them to the website, while TELLING them that the shoot has not yet been posted. That gives them the opportunity to get to know Appleseed in the meantime. In particular, you might want to send them here  http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html  so they can start preparing for their upcoming shoot.

Since I normally come directly to the forums, I have to navigate back to the home page to check if our shoot has been added out on that schedule.

That's true for all of us. That's the way the new system was designed to work.

The local tea party folks want to blast this June shoot out on their email list, and plaster the community with flyers, but they want folks to be able to register immediately. Hope it can get added soon...I know you are swamped Julia, but can we get the date up there and open up registration even if the paperwork I gave you still needs a litte tweak?

Can't help you with this part, you'll need to talk with Julia about it.

However, you can have those folks prepare the email blast and the flyers in advance, leaving just one blank line for the registration info, then wait to send it and to post them until registration actually opens.

para45acp

Thanks for your detailed reply Transform! I appreciate your speedy response...

-I know how I "could" or "can" use the favorites or seperate browsers, just making sure I wasn't missing something REALLY obvious that was a quick navigational tool built in  :shootself:

-Didn't realize the schedules had been "moved" and were no longer necessary, just thought it simply hadn't been updated. Leaving the '12 schedule on the state board makes it look like it's simply old info that hasn't been brought up to speed this year. Don't have authority to work on Admin level for the Ohio board...so just an observation.

-Already doing that, and AS is linked directly to our range website.

-Most websites with forums have an Icon somewhere that navigates directly back to the home page of the host site...above my pay grade, just a suggestion.

-Already done and waiting.

Very limited computer time these days with no internet out at the range, have to remember all the things that need done web-wise and get it done at home quickly ;)
Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

Transform

Quote from: para45acp on May 14, 2013, 12:27:26 PM
-I know how I "could" or "can" use the favorites or seperate browsers, just making sure I wasn't missing something REALLY obvious that was a quick navigational tool built in

I gave you a generic reply because specific navigational tools will depend on your computer, your browser, and how you have things configured. PM me if you need specific help.

-Didn't realize the schedules had been "moved" and were no longer necessary, just thought it simply hadn't been updated. Leaving the '12 schedule on the state board makes it look like it's simply old info that hasn't been brought up to speed this year.

The old system was very labor-intensive. We moved to the new system to avoid the need for future updates.

Don't have authority to work on Admin level for the Ohio board...so just an observation.

If you want to help on a bigger level, just send a PM to Julia. Your state can always use more volunteers!

-Most websites with forums have an Icon somewhere that navigates directly back to the home page of the host site...above my pay grade, just a suggestion.

Most forums are "discussion" forums, however this one is meant as a "working" forum for our volunteers, so there is less need for additional navigation. However I will share your suggestion with our tech folks.

Transform

After reviewing your suggestions, the Appleseed Schedule board was updated, and the Appleseed Events post was added for navigating convenience:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=486.0

Ratchett

Everyone help Ohio welcome Dillon Sportsman Center to the Appleseed event schedule!!

Located in central Ohio inside Dillon State Park, there are many family fun activities around fishing in the lake, visiting the Longaberger Basket home---- if you can find time around all the shooting and stories of the founding of our great country!

Thank you para45 and Dillon for partnering with Project Appleseed and for your friendship since we first met on the firing line years ago!!

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

yellowhousejake

Put a message in the Ohio board that links directly back to the Ohio schedule, and make it a sticky.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

para45acp

Thanks! Awesome!

Letting everyone know they can get registered now...

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10