News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dangerous Old Men

Started by dwarven1, August 19, 2008, 02:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Very good, PHenry - VERY good.

Point #40 - I would tell them at the introduction that "you'll hear the answer to the question that has bedeviled historians for hundreds of years - who fired the first shot?" - and then say no more about it.

Until the second strike story, when you point out the effectiveness of our marksmanship in breaking the British at the North Bridge - then take that fact and the story back to Lexington Green, and ask the question, "Parker's men were as well-trained as marksmen as our boys at the North Bridge. Does anyone think, if Parker's men had the opportunity of firing the first shots, British casualites would have been one wounded man - with 17 Americans dead or wounded? The proof of who fired first and which side was surprised by the first volley is in the casualty list. That's the answer - the British fired first! - that historians would have come to long ago - if any of them were trained marksmen."
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

PHenry

Excellent idear! I will make the change and incorporate it into my Second Strike - thanks!

The "Florida Crew" is revving up for the Hernando event - full steam ahead! I will test your "teaser" out and let you know how it went.

Our history is rich and filled with bravery and self-sacrifice - Americans need to know this and feel it in their bones so that Lady Liberty will always feel warm and safe and welcomed in America.

I honestly believe it is already in their veins - just needs to be awakened and it will take hold of them - just it did their ancestors! Just as it  has in every Appleseeder.

I dream of a day when "reality" TV shows are canceled owing to low interest and Appleseeds can't find enough places owing to overwhelming attendance!  ;D
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

SavageShootr

Quote from: ann on August 25, 2008, 10:35:47 PM
I would like a copy of your history also.  I have just began to homeschool my 10yo boy this year.  We are using some books called American History Stories that are good.  Reads like a book, not dry and boring like some.  I am trying to get him interested in shooting.  Unfortunately he was given a H&R youth 20ga and shot that first.  Not my idea.  So now he is nervous.  He's getting better and I got him his own 10/22crr a coupla weeks ago.  He should be able to handle that better than my Marlin.  Now if it would quit raining long enough to go the range.  He's not very tough like a boy so it may take some time.

Hey ann,

Welcome to the forum. Homeschooling your boy will be a rewarding experience. The Dangerous Old Men history that you will receive from the AS is great material with which to teach. As far as he not being very tough, I am certain with you for a mom he will be just fine.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

T191032

ann wrote :

". . .  I am trying to get him interested in shooting.  Unfortunately he was given a H&R youth 20ga and shot that first.  Not my idea.  So now he is nervous.  He's getting better and I got him his own 10/22crr a coupla weeks ago.  He should be able to handle that better than my Marlin.  Now if it would quit raining long enough to go the range.  He's not very tough like a boy so it may take some time."

Patience, time and encouragement!   :)

KingBubbaTruck

QuoteUnfortunately he was given a H&R youth 20ga and shot that first.  Not my idea.  So now he is nervous.  He's getting better and I got him his own 10/22crr a coupla weeks ago.  He should be able to handle that better than my Marlin.  Now if it would quit raining long enough to go the range.  He's not very tough like a boy so it may take some time.

Ann,  As a kid who wrestled at 119 pounds and was pretty scrawny all through High School, he has hope! 

My growth spurt started my Senior year and while I'm only 6' tall now, most people who knew me in HS would not recognize me in any way shape or form.  If I could get back to only being a 100# over my sophmore wrestling wait, I'd be happy!

Give the lad time, and understanding and I'm sure he'll come through.  My dad started me with a little single shot .410 hunting pheasants which I have to this day and is a cherished heirloom to me.  I'm sure your sons 10/22 will be the same way to him someday.  It sounds like he has a very thoughtful and caring Mom and I'm sure he will do well...

FiremanBill

Quote from: dond on August 19, 2008, 09:59:11 PM
Dwarven 1,

I have just revised my four part history which has several old men stories in it. If you will PM me with your email address I will send it to you.

dond

DonD

Could you please send me your 4 part history?    Am PM'ing you with my email.

Thanks much.
FiremanBill
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Jack Ryan for President!

CQ CQ CQ de N8NRT.....

TH

DOND - Greetings! 

Could I trouble you to send me a copy of the DANGEROUS old men story?  It was facinating at the recent Appleseed my son and I attended but the snow, freezing rain, soaked boots distracted us a little...lol.  Plus my other 5 boys weren't able to attend and I'd love to share it with them.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Troy

SGTCap

Dwarven 1,

I have just revised my four part history which has several old men stories in it. If you will PM me with your email address I will send it to you.

dond

Any way I can get my hands on this?

Sheepdog

I love the stories of these superannuated patriots.
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

RPD

Quote from: SGTCap on January 06, 2009, 08:28:36 PM
Dwarven 1,

dond

Any way I can get my hands on this?

Dond,

Me too?

Thanks, Rob
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke