News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Crazy idea....

Started by AmbulanceDriver, August 12, 2008, 07:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmbulanceDriver

Has anyone ever set up a mini-shoot at an indoor range?

Reason I ask, is that I'm a member at the Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center.  They have two range bays, both 25 yards.  The LE deck is 8 lanes, the main deck is 10 lanes.  I doubt they'd let us take the main deck for a full day, but I might be able to talk to the RSO's there and see if we could set up a mini-mini-shoot for a one day deal on the LE deck.  It would certainly be interesting.  We'd have to get the ok to shoot from 2 yds behind the actual firing line as well (to get the 25m) but it might be doable.  I'd have to take a look at the layout on the LE deck again to make sure.  If nothing else, I'll talk to the folks there at the range about the Appleseed project, plant some seeds there, and who knows where it might go from there... 

slim

7th Step!!! Working with what you have to get the word out and get folks on the line, great job!

Try PMing SavageShootr and smle as they're the Event Scheduling coordinators. You may also want to cc Nickle and Junior Birdman because they're in charge of instructor scheduling and should probably be "in the loop." You may even want to add Fred on that PM becuase all those guys together could give you the "official" answer on the indoor range.

Good luck, any questions, you can PM me if you want and I'll get everyone in the loop for you. (I honestly don't know if indoor ranges are authorized or not. I do now how to send a PM though!)

B9

Wheeler44 can help you out with logistics and procedures.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Wheeler44

Now A.D. you're talkin' my kinda crazy.  I'll wait to hear what the Admin team says but I'm all for it. I'm sure the other folks down Portland way will like the idea too.  PM me with contact info and I'll get ya some promo goodies. Keep thinkin' like that and you'll find yerself wearin' an attractive ORANGE hat.

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Spatulaman

Ooooooohhhhh, BAD abbreviation!!  (AD = Accidental Discharge).

funfaler

This is one of the benefits of having local Instructors!!!

A 10 person Appleseed, not an issue.  If all is done locally, no need to fly in and lodge an Instructor, this is a very, very good idea.

Has it been done, not that I know of.

The other option that opens up, is weekday Appleseeds.  Instead of two full days, perhaps 3-4 evenings? 

Having a local Instructor and Admin crew really opens up many different possibilities.

Don't settle for "just a mini", if you can talk them out of two days, however a mini, to demonstrate Appleseed to them may be required.

Good luck and keep us all informed!

Good thinking.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

AmbulanceDriver

Well, I'll be heading to the range sometime this week.  So I'll talk to them about it a little.  Broach the subject at least.  Plant the seed, as they say.  :)

Wheeler44

Ambulance, I'm in full support mode here. PM me for contact info.

Everybody else, This man is taking steps to ensure the future  of the project.  He is earning the right to hang his blue ribbon on the Liberty Tree. 

We all have gifts and talents that we can use for the good of the Project, the good of the Nation, the good of future generations.

Please follow this mans' lead and look within yourselves for an idea or a way to help make our region a shining beacon of freedom.

If each of take one small step, we will soon be there.

Thanks Ambulance Driver,

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Mister Clark

Hey Ambulance Driver-
I am in PDX as well, but I have never shot at PSTC. I have a couple of questions......

1. Do you have to buy their ammo?
2. Can we do transitions? Most indoor ranges have benches.

Does Karl still work there? I went to Front Sight with him last November. The dude is right handed, but shot the whole 4 day course LEFTY!! The guy is AMAZING!

PM me. I am TOTALLY IN! I am sure Woody would like to work on turning an Orange Hat Red as well......

PolarBear
Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

AmbulanceDriver

We do have to buy their ammo, but the price is reasonable.  The only problem is that they only provide one type of ammo, CCI MiniMag.  They have benches, but the benches are removeable.  So we could do transitions, if they were willing to let us. 

And yes, Karl still works there.  The guy is very impressive.  He'll probably be the one I try to talk to, we've got a pretty good working relationship.

Oohrah

I see both of you (Wheeler & Ambluance) are emergency service people.
Recently retired from Fire Service, but still stay active in reserve LEO and
volunteer emergency response team activities.   Sounds like your range
is indoor comfortable year round.   The first Appleseed held here was no
shelter, with rain before, all week end, and after the event, here on the coast.
The second at Grant Pass Sportsmans Park had covered stations.   Seems
to me one may have been held last year south of Medford, or maybe it was
just talked about ;D

davecampperry

REminder, many people, myself included, cannot see clearly in fluorescent light. Indoor ranges are proctically useless to me for that reason. By all means, use them, but just be aware if somebody 'can't' shoot 210 and is unduly upset about it, this might be the reason. dave
"Any one who attempts, or even wishes, to disarm me is my mortal enemy, and is guilty of Treason." Jeff Cooper
Let's stop calling it 'gun control' and start calling it what it is-Treason.

Spatulaman

When our Jr. SB team moved temporarily to a new indoor range, we found it necessary to place some work lights to help illuminate the targets. We used the dual-head halogen style, took them off of their tripods and set them on their feet. A couple located between the firing points at about 1/3 and 2/3 the way down the line did the trick.