News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

shtf2 Proposal

Started by 36g, April 08, 2013, 04:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

36g

k had requested suggestions for the demo/presentation segment that AS can have at the shoot. An idea that surfaced was to basically run through the proper shooting positions with sling and NPOA using the laser training method. This could act as a good teaser for AS. In addition it would be interesting to see how many people would try the shooting positions and NPOA shifts (or attempts thereof) during the shooting stages after the presentation.

What do you think?

36g

Mike Woodcock

Then, would be to have AS'rs then follow up with stellar performances during shtf2 using those positions.
Maybe a blackpowder musket shoot for $x with "reenactment" powder and no ball.

yellowhousejake

If you just wanted to do a demonstration, a clever guy might be able to rig up a laser and a photo sensor to beep when they are steady on target and stop when they move off. Kids laser toys do it.

Beep.............beep..................beep..............................................beep = no sling
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep = proper sling usage.

Just a thought.

Hey that might be real handy for SHF POI at any Appleseed, if the device was simple and small enough. I gotta enough stuff in my truck already.

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

36g

Laserlyte makes a laser chamber insert and laser target but they aren't cheap. I'll talk with my son (electrical engineer) and see if there might be an easy/cheap way to rig a sensor with a battery and buzzer.

36g

AFTERMATH

Quote from: 36g on April 09, 2013, 09:20:17 PM
Laserlyte makes a laser chamber insert and laser target but they aren't cheap. I'll talk with my son (electrical engineer) and see if there might be an easy/cheap way to rig a sensor with a battery and buzzer.

36g

Engineers never make anything cheap and easy.    @)  (Just kidding... Or am I. >:D)

Laser with pressure switch cord.
Attach laser to rifle via most convenient method.
Run pressure switch cord out of the way, in a manner which allows you to install pressure switch on trigger.
Install pressure switch on trigger. 

$5 battery operated motion sensor alarm/chime - ok, I'm going out on a limb with this one, but I think that the laser will set it off.  I'll try tonight.  The cheaper, the better, the motion sensor won't be as sensitive.

Set up, alarm as target. (a chime option would be best)
Get in position, have some one flip on the sensor. 

Aim(best be sighted in for the range of the sensor), squeeze trigger laser lights, hits, and the alarm goes off.

Quote from: 36g on April 08, 2013, 04:39:03 PM
k had requested suggestions for the demo/presentation segment that AS can have at the shoot. An idea that surfaced was to basically run through the proper shooting positions with sling and NPOA using the laser training method. This could act as a good teaser for AS. In addition it would be interesting to see how many people would try the shooting positions and NPOA shifts (or attempts thereof) during the shooting stages after the presentation.

What do you think?

36g

How long is the presentation slot? 

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

36g

I believe k said 30 minutes but could possibly ask for more...

AFTERMATH

Hmmm....

If it's a strait-up stage type format:

Start it off by framing it with a short story of Timothy Murphy - So folks know how important hitting their target is.  ~ 5 min

Keep any instructional points short and sweet - Maybe just go over the sling usage and basic positions.
Maybe even pull some volunteers from the audience to be the models - Pick the agile looking ones. ::)
I'd probably skip NPOA - 'cause they need solid foundations before the NPOA will be of any benefit.
End the instructional bit by telling them what else they'll learn at an AS to help them make the shot(6-steps, NPOA, IMC, etc.)
~ 20 min

Then wrap it up with an elevator speech about our mission.  ~ 2.5 min

Take questions and direct them to our booth to find our more.  ~ 2.5 min

Total time:  ~30 min

Short and simple teaser!  Complete with instructional points and TPI.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

fepowered

In case you guys are not aware, SHTF-3 has been officially moved to June 22nd since DPMS backed out of Outbreak Omega  this year.  http://www.shtfshoot.com/registration.html
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

AFTERMATH

Quote from: fepowered on April 10, 2013, 04:25:10 AM
In case you guys are not aware, SHTF-3 has been officially moved to June 22nd since DPMS backed out of Outbreak Omega  this year.  http://www.shtfshoot.com/registration.html

Yep - That's the date!  Good to know for any lurkers I suppose! ;)

We've even got ourselves down on their supporters listing:  http://www.shtfshoot.com/support.html

Cool beans!

FeP, Are you planning to come to this one, instead?

fepowered

Quote from: AFTERMATH on April 10, 2013, 08:07:53 PM
Yes...  I am likely going to drive over there Friday night and then head back sometime Saturday night as I have be be at work in Green Bay 6:00AM on Sunday morning unless I can get a few more hours off. 
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are

AFTERMATH

Quote from: fepowered on April 10, 2013, 09:01:38 PM
Quote from: AFTERMATH on April 10, 2013, 08:07:53 PM
Yes...  I am likely going to drive over there Friday night and then head back sometime Saturday night as I have be be at work in Green Bay 6:00AM on Sunday morning unless I can get a few more hours off.

Now that, will be brutal!
Might as well drive straight to work!

Talking to Alex and Whisker at the IBC, they indicated they might like to be on the AS shooting team.

fepowered

Quote from: AFTERMATH on April 11, 2013, 08:00:15 PM
Now that, will be brutal!
Might as well drive straight to work!
If I am beat and decide to catch a few hours sleep first, that is actually one of the options I am looking at... :)

Quote from: AFTERMATH on April 11, 2013, 08:00:15 PM
Talking to Alex and Whisker at the IBC, they indicated they might like to be on the AS shooting team.

What does the day look like?  I was not able to attend the last one..

AFTERMATH

I only saw the AS stage last year....

But I believe it was an assembly of different stages(each run by a vendor, like ours) they gave a list and shooters walked from stage to stage.

For the Coonan challenge they did, the shooters got a score sheet and the prizes were awarded relative to the scores on the sheet. 

fepowered

Do we go through normal shooter registration? 

AFTERMATH

Quote from: fepowered on April 28, 2013, 03:31:39 AM
Do we go through normal shooter registration?

Good question.  I assume so.  I'm not sure they even necessarily have a 'team' category - The concept in my mind is mostly a matter of a group of Appleseeders showin' off their mad Appleseed skills.  Which in the big picture would be a team effort to promote Appleseed.  The effect will be two-fold - A promotional double-tap. 

Though, perhaps Kosciusko or whoever he's designated as liaison can see if there's any sorta discount - but I'm fine with the regular reg process myself.  I see they offer discounts for shooters who volunteer - Perhaps we should consider that.

fepowered

warhog

Just who is going and when are you going to be there we need to get a idea who can help I will be there for the set up and the shoot!
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Brad76

I plan on working the event.

Brad

AFTERMATH

I'll be there - Would like to be a shooter, but if I'm needed....   Well, I go where the muster drum tells me.

warhog

Who is bringing the rope, target, line, posts ect
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

36g

I'm planning on being there, primarily to assist AS but would like to shoot too if it works out.

36g

So what's the plan? Who is "SB", who is bringing what, who is working the line? When is set up?

COF?

Red Coats/Green Coats?

What else is needed?

Only a couple of weeks away...

36g

36g

Great to see everyone again! I thought that it was a successful venture - good support, okay crowd, no safety issues that I saw, some T-shirts awarded, no one left with more holes than they came with...

btw: If by some chance someone discovers a spare GI sleeping pad I know where it came from.

36g