News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bunnell FL March 16-17

Started by 9mm4545, March 17, 2013, 11:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

What we lacked in numbers we made up in enthusiasm. With perfect north Florida weather the Appleseed event at Flagler Gun Club near Bunnell was off to a rousing start. Our four students brought teachable attitudes and our initial Redcoat target showed that improvements were needed--and possible. A course of fire that tried to minimize the expenditure of scarce and expensive ammo was tried and the results were dramatic. The rifleman's triad of solid position, NPOA, and Six Steps was the goal of the instruction and our students were quick to grasp the concepts. Brad was working out with an AR-15, while Evelyn, Brian, and Jeremy were using .22's. The morning was quickly turned into afternoon with lots of individual attention on improving form, carding the sights, and preaching the vital steps of firing the shot. A quick lunch accompanied by the telling of the events in Lexington and then the fire hose of information continued. Rifleman's cadence, transitions, new positions, reloads, and the appearance of the dreaded Time Monkey added spice to the afternoon as the smell of gun powder perfumed the crisp air. More history during breaks and then more marksmanship and our students never faltered. By the end of Saturday there was marked improvement, along with some sore muscles and tired bodies.

Sunday saw one new shooter as Tom came out to join us but Brad couldn't make it so again, it was a quartet of quality as the shooting instruction got underway. After seeing Jeremy apparently doing everything right yet still showing less than stellar groups, FLawyer thought that it might be the rifle and suggested he use my known proven "Green Rifle". Well, Jeremy had been doing everything right because the very first AQT of the day, shot with my rifle, was a very solid 217!  While he was doing that, I tried his rifle and came to the conclusion that in this particular case it was indeed the arrow and not the Indian that was the problem. I think that a change in the sights might be in order. As the AQT's were repeated, the scores were consistent and steadily improving. Jeremy's success was not a one-time event as he demonstrated that he "got it" and owned the AQT. Our small training band moved over to the 100 yard range and sure enough, what works at 82 feet also works at 300 feet. Imagine that! The day ended with a victory volley of .30-06 goodness from my M1 Garand as Jeremy celebrated his new status as Rifleman. Several of us tried Rifleman Rick's smoothbore musket and realized that going into battle with such armament took real courage. "Minute of hillside" was about the best we could do.

Evelyn, your grit and persistence is commendable and inspiring. Persist and you will become a Rifle(wo)man! Brian, plan on daily dry firing and you will see some amazing results. Just ask Janet! Tom, it was good to see you again behind a rifle and your Laser Training Device (LTD) is going to rock. Can't wait to try it so bring it with you to the next shoot. Remember, dry fire is still your friend. Brad, please do come back when you can stay longer. I hope you can make the shoot in May. It was a pleasure to work with you and I do look forward to handing you a well earned Rifleman patch. My fellow instructors will no doubt add their own thoughts but I can say for everyone that we were paid well this weekend. Thank you.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

9mm4545

Hey look! It's a photo!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

9mm4545

Jeremy (Rifleman!) send this note, which I would like to share:

Just wanted to drop you a short note in thanks for the fantastic instruction, education and motivation a few weeks ago in Bunnell.  Your entire team was without exception simply phenomenal.  As a Naval Aviator and Instructor Pilot in P-3C Orion aircraft for a few years, I can truly appreciate real professionals at work.  I also saw that you love what you do.  You have my sincere gratitude and thanks for teaching me how to shoot, and for reinvigorating the fires of liberty in my heart with your captivating storytelling of struggles in the early years of our great Nation's founding.

I signed my wife up for the May 18-19 shoot, and while I may be unable to attend due to family and/or work duties, I truly hope to.   You might recognize the 22 she brings, albeit with a few of (your and Janet's) recommended improvements.  Perhaps she'll be one of the few riflemen to earn the patch her first time out (she's born and bred country, in central Texas, and shoots better than me).

Please relay my sincerest thanks and appreciation to Janet, Glenn, and the rest of the team.  Hope to see you again soon!

TomM1Thumb

A few more pictures

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Sly223

Time for RG to get a new Red hat! ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!