Author Topic: Appleseed Rifleman Databook  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Transform

Appleseed Rifleman Databook
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
I am preparing to order a case of Appleseed Rifleman Databooks, to distribute at-cost in the NW Region.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=25432.0

They cost $10 plus shipping each, with proceeds going to support Appleseed. By ordering them together, we can dramatically reduce the shipping costs, bringing them down to about $11-12 each, instead of about $17-18 each.

Anyone attending a KD clinic will want one, which is why I am doing this a month before the Vale, OR KD event.
Anyone not attending a KD clinic will still probably want one, which is why I am making this offer to all Riflemen.

Instructors, please PM me with the number you want, and which event(s) you plan to work in, or near, Oregon.
Riflemen, please simplify my life by requesting these Databooks through your favorite RWVA Instructor, asap.
Riflemen who are registered for the Vale event, PM me directly. Orders will be accepted through March 20th.

Offline jmdavis

• Ramseur IBC 1108
Re: Appleseed Rifleman Databook
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
I first made a databook for Appleseed KD for myself back in late 2009. I gave them away at KD's in 2010 and used it as a prize for challenges at boot camps. It has been posted on these forums before. It is different from the one in Indiana in that it has room for load information, weather and shot calls.

Here's the pdf, you can print them and photocopy and then put them into a 3 ring binder. Alternately, you can have it printed 2 up double sided at kinkos, spiral bound and add a vinyl cover for $11 to $12 per book.

They also fit well on small clipboards.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:55:52 PM by jmdavis »
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Offline hawkhavn

• Inactive Instructor
  • 17 down, 33 to go
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »
Hmmm, I remembered my book a little different than that.
Here's what is in the book that Transform is talking about:
6 page review on reading and doping the wind, including Fred's windage rules
Four charts to record sight/scopes settings
Four load charts for recording come ups from 25 - 600 yards
Four different charts to fill out windage corrections at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 mph wind from 20, 40, 60, 80,  and 90 degrees at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards
(50) Shot call targets for squares or silhouettes with data boxes for: date, time, location, temp, direction, range, light, weather, wind direction and speed, shooter's position (offhand, sitting/kneeling, prone) and ammuntion used.  There is a photo of this data page on the link Transform posted if you want to take a look.

Wish I could be with you folks out in Vale, it sounds like a great range!

HH

Offline jmdavis

• Ramseur IBC 1108
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
All of that is true, Ed. What is also true, is that I am giving away that data page and allowing people to print it themselves and do with it as they wish.  KD info and charts are readily available on here and at other sites. I can take my load data and velocity and print charts (windage and elevation)  for my particular load at hornady.com. 

You can do all of this for nothing more than the cost of ink, toner and copies. You can print as many copies as you like and not have to worry about needing to buy a new book to keep track of your performance and zeroes.

I could also tell you my comeups for 75gr Hornady's, 62 gr M855, or my handloads of Nosler 77gr and 80gr for high power,  but it is much more valuable for a shooter to actually find these for himself while shooting his or her rifle. He then makes notes in his databook and integrates that information into his shooting. Standard comeups get you on paper. Individual comeups get you in the V-ring or X-ring.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Offline Transform

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:57:33 AM »
There is certainly nothing wrong with Mike's approach. There are LOTS of ways to make a Databook, including many other files posted on the instructor boards:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=34409.0
I appreciate Mike's posting another option for everyone here to consider, and his seems like a good option.

Here's the pdf, you can print them and photocopy and then put them into a 3 ring binder. Alternately, you can have it printed 2 up double sided at kinkos, spiral bound and add a vinyl cover for $11 to $12 per book.
This is exactly the reason for my bulk purchase of the Appleseed Rifleman's Databooks.
 - They already come nicely spiral bound, for about the same price charged by the copy shop mentioned.
 - They directly support the Appleseed program.
 - They also directly support a print shop that has shown itself to be very Appleseed-friendly on other projects.
 - I personally don't like giving my money to the corporate copy shop mentioned.
 - They come fairly complete with all the extras that Ed mentioned.
Are they perfect? No. Nothing ever is. But I just don't have the patience to put together the "perfect" Databook for myself, otherwise I would have already done it.

Feel free to post other options on this thread. Personally, I'm just going to order these and be satisfied.

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »
I'm  a fan of little blank bound books that fit in a back pocket. Large sheets get ruffled, water spots, and blown away by the wind. Three ring notebooks just don't come along when walking around the earth as god made it.

Offline Transform

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
Last call! Anyone else interested in getting these at a discount?

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
If it's not too late, I'm in.  Thanks, and see you in Vale!
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
--------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure and LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page: 
Northwest Region Project Appleseed
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

Offline George Hacker

• Inactive Instructor
  • The instructor formerly known as "ShadowMan"
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
Actually I'm looking forward to getting my red notebook back that I had left in Lewiston when I left in a rush.  I will use it for notes at Vale.

Thank you.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Offline ID_Hezekiah

• Instructor In Training 3
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
If there's another available at Vale next weekend I would like one too!
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

Offline Transform

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »
I said "Last call!" a month ago. It would be wise for all of you to prepare a backup notebook.

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
I said "Last call!" a month ago. It would be wise for all of you to prepare a backup notebook.

Oops!  Could've sworn I checked the date stamp on that post.  Where in the heck did March go?!!!  Sorry, will print something out and bind it up.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
Be sure and LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page: 
Northwest Region Project Appleseed
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy