News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Illinois September Challenge!

Started by Garand69, August 04, 2008, 04:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garand69

Yes you read that correct, The Illinois September Challenge

We have had a September 6-7 Appleseed @ Ottawa on the schedule for a while now so there is no surprise there.

But then some Wiseguy comes up with the idea of making the August 30-31 Chillicothe Shoot a Three Day event, which of course will now end on September 1st.

Sounds good, nothing nutty here, essentially it's just 1 1/2 Appleseeds in the month of September no biggie. Weather is reasonable, birds will be chirping, chubby groundhogs will be grazing in the meadow, squirrels gathering nuts for the winter, nope nothing nutty here, it's a wonderful thing.

Then all this talk of a Constitution Day shoot has been going on, hmmmmmmmm. Well I figured that a Constitution Day shoot would be asking a bit much of our Excellent Illinois IIT's and Instructors, so silly me voiced my concerns of burnout among the ranks.

Then The Guy chimes in.........

Well for the most part, I have learned that what comes out of The Guy's mouth is usually spot on. He wrote, somthing like..... I have many a good IIT, and among them, not a one is afraid to instruct.....or something like that, and then he followed up with.... Quit thinking and schedule it!... or kinda sorta like that.

Then I remembered something he said to me while I was chasing that elusive Rifleman Patch. He told me to "Quit thinking and shoot". Well, it worked I caught that patch! So obviously, there is nothing nutty here.

So I pull out the trusty calendar and take a look at September. Hmmmmmm, we already have the tail end of the Chillicothe Shoot on 9/1, a standard 2-day Appleseed the following weekend @ Ottawa on 9/6-7. The Constitution Day Shoot would need to fall on the following Weekend, 9/13-14. N-n-n-nope, n-nothing n-n-n-n-nutty h-h-here.

Just then, a boot came flying through the air and nailed me right in the head! At first I thought it was some kind of sign, but then when I came to, I realized it was just the Mean Ole' Wife throwing things at me because I have been on the computer all day! But anyway, something shook loose in the process, and a brilliant idea popped into my now aching head!

If we schedule an Appleseed for Constitution Day, We would have 5 quality days of Appleseed instruction in one month, and there was still two weekends left, giving us the potential for 9 Days of Appleseed in one month!!!!!! Sure it seems a bit nutty, but hear me out.

Illinois needs more Rifleman!

Illinois needs more IIT's/Instructors!

Illinois needs more places to shoot and a DAR!

I have a good feeling that after the Chillicothe Appleseed Shoot, The State of Illinois will have about 20 Rifleman total. How many of those men (and women) among men are ready to take it up a notch and become an IIT???? Well? You all have heard about that 7th Step have you not, now is your chance to get your feet wet!

How about you folks who have an ideal location to host an Appleseed and you have been kicking it back and forth, whether or not to build a 25M range? Now is your chance to get your feet wet!

Challenging, of course this would be challenging, that's why I call it the Illinois September Challenge! We get our butt kicked by Indiana in regards to AS attendance numbers, after all they do have the record, but has any State held 4 1/2 Appleseeds in one month! Is it even possible? The last time I wondered that, The Guy told me to quit thinking and shoot!

Let's take this time to decide on a range for 9/13-14, and decide if we can hold 4 more days of Appleseed related Training events in the month of September, bringing the total to 9 days of Appleseed in the Month of September!!!!

Mini-Appleseeds are totally acceptable in this totally sane quest, the point is to have as many shooters on the firing line during the month of September as possible!!!.

Who's with me? Who thinks that not only can we pull this off, but we will also add 50% more Rifleman and 150% more IIT/Instructors and a a new range to the State in the process?

So There you have it, The Illinois September Challenge will henceforth be......

9 Days of Appleseed/Mini-Appleseeds, 50% more Rifleman in IL, and 150% more IIT's/Instuctors, and at least one new Range to hold an Appleseed Shoot at.

All by 9/30/08!!!!!!!

Now let's get to work folks!!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

The Guy

Wonderful challenge Golf6-9!

I wonder, oh I wonder, where oh where have all the ranges gone?

Private land?  Your buddy's place?  Your own home range?

Rest of the country to Illinois!  WAKE UP AND SMELL THE CHICKENS!

Time to get hacking away at the underbrush and clear out some space.  Lets get this one in the works!

Gogolandofsuck!

Guy

ps, someday I hope to be able to drop that last bit!  Time to take the suck out of Illinois(ucks)!

Who is with us?!?!

OddBall

Im with you. Heck I even hope to be added to the Appleseed IIT ranks soon.
Hey Man, I'm drinking wine, eating cheese and catching some rays.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Pappy

Fellows; I am with you, I do have a place in mind but its rather limited in size. A Mini could work if there was Interest . What do you think? At this point its all about the numbers,  Should I keep looking.  ;) ;D :) J.P.
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

funfaler

Promotions will be lacking, the longer it takes to get a location and get the word out......Just a wet blanket consideration  ;) :o

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

slim

So let me get this straight.... I went to an AS in Kentucky last month, going to one in Ohio and another in Indiana later this month and now I have the chance to Appleseed in Illinois right after that?

Four Appleseeds in four states and all within the "1 tank" radius? Talk about a way to end the summer.

I've gotta go talk to the scheduling/accounts payable department, a.k.a. Mrs. Slim..... Hope to see you guys on the line!

Garand69

Quote from: funfaler on August 04, 2008, 11:19:34 PM
Promotions will be lacking, the longer it takes to get a location and get the word out......Just a wet blanket consideration  ;) :o

We are on it  ;D

Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Fred

Quote from: Garand69 on August 04, 2008, 04:17:44 PM
...hear me out.

Illinois needs more Rifleman!

Illinois needs more IIT's/Instructors!

Illinois needs more places to shoot and a DAR!

And Illinois needs a state rocker that says "ILLINOIS" - even if I have to add - to get it past The Guy - "(UCKS)" to the end... ;D

Folks, this is the way it is done.

With energy, thinking, grit, determination - and a feeling, who wants to be second to Indiana, heavens-to-Betsy! ;D

QuoteFellows; I am with you, I do have a place in mind but its rather limited in size. A Mini could work if there was Interest . What do you think? At this point its all about the numbers,  Should I keep looking.

J. Papineau, don't know the capacity, but if it's 12 or more, I'd have a standard (but 'quality') Appleseed there - and I'd sure as heck use it for umpteen IBCs in the coming 12 months - sounds like an ideal central location...

All, once the torpedoes are in the water, it's "full speed ahead" - and glad to see it happening in Illinois!

BOOM! - Say, was that the sound barrier being broken? ;D ;D ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

The Guy

Assuming I make Chilli, and at this time it looks like I will, we will talk Illinois(ucks) in earnest.

We need a DAR, and a place to have IBCs to get the suck out of Illinois(ucks).

I think Pappy's place will work for IBCs at the least, and maybe more.

The remoteness of the northern AO is an issue, but we could just have an "in the rough" AS up there, for the "real men (and women of course) among us.

Would like an AS here with a more southern flavor, like south of Springfield.  Maybe something in the works already, however, if YOU have a spot, let us know.

Wade

Quote from: J.Papineau on August 04, 2008, 09:35:15 PM
Fellows; I am with you, I do have a place in mind but its rather limited in size. A Mini could work if there was Interest . What do you think? At this point its all about the numbers,  Should I keep looking.  ;) ;D :) J.P.

Well I am on my way to Chicago by way of I-55(when I get that far),,,,If you are close to on my way I would be happy to bring by my Rifle Range streaching tape measure ;D last time it was used a 25 lane Rifle Range turned into 35 :o ;D.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Garand69

OK Folks, CENTER UP!

Chillicothe added 9 new Rifleman to the State of Illinois, 4 of which happened on September 1st, giving the September Challenge a much needed boost!

That means we are now up to approx 25 Rifleman in the State of Illinois which means part of the Challenge has already been exceeded. Does that mean that we are satisfied? Absolutly not! While scheduling conflicts prevented a Sept 6-7 Constitution Day shoot, we are able to fit in a 2-Day Appleseed at the end of the month at Ottawa.

Now where are those mini's at folks! Are you telling me that no one in this State has the room to schedule a Mini AS? Well, Post 1084 Shooting Sports (http://www.post1084.com/shootingsports.htm) is going to host one on Sunday September 21st at Ottawa, but space is very limited, so if you are interested contact me ASAP.

Ok Folks the Challenge is on you, we have 6 days of Appleseed activities on the books for September, we need three more. I will count Mini's held on the same day as other events, as a day, so if you can only plan your Mini on a day already covered don't worry about it. Don't worry about size either, if all the room you have is enough for a few freinds, that's fine, just get them shooting Appleseed Style and your good to go!

Ok here is the run down...

Sept 1st, Chillicothe, Success! 4 new Rifleman

Sept 6-7, Ottawa, selling out fast! SOLD OUT!!

Sept 21st, Ottawa Mini, running out of room fast

Sept 27th-28th, Ottawa, soon to be posted on eventbrite, stay tuned

Come on folks 1.2+ Million FOID Card holders and 57,918 square miles of land, someone should be able to put together a back yard Appleseed Range and host a Mini!!!!!!
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

The Guy

Well well well.

Trying to take the (uks) out of Illinois(ucks) will take a lot.  I'm from here so I can whine all I want, right?

The steps are being taken, a Rifleman at a time.  Going to be full, and I will miss some o the fun in here when I head west latter this month.  However, I feel confident that in my absence others will fill my boots and Persevere, Rifleman style, and make these minis and full 'seeds happen.

Thank the Good Lord that all is not lost here, and the last 2 years have seen an influx of both Instructors and some fantastic IITs within the boundaries of this ailing state.

Kinda nice indeed, to see such dedication.

Soon, Illinois(ucks) will have no use of me, and I can ride off into the sunset and an early retirement.....

Just kidding.

Keep up the good work Golf6-9.

See you in Ottawa!

Pappy

Hello Folks; Dana and I will be putting up sun/rain shelter as we had at the Independence weekend AS Friday around 4:30-5:30. I am sure that we will have the best weather to make Rifleman. See you all there. Jon Papineau
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Garand69

Thanks Pappy and Dana, The weather looks perfect for forging Rifleman, and I hope to bring Illinois number up to 30.

The Guy riding off into the sunset? HA, I don't think so, you got me into this, you ain't going nowhere  ;D

The REGAP Grill will be available at the Appleseed Event on September 6th&7th. Good food at reasonable prices, see the menu at the sign in counter.
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Sheepdog

All this motivational talk and another AS around the corner...YES!!

As far as Guy driving iinto the sunset, I've got a heavy steel cable we can wrap around his back axle and tie to a big tree.  ;D

Ottawa is sold out....sweet. Looking forward to getting that going.

See you all there. Dog
RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

colycat

Wisconsin in October.  Time for all of you guys to venture north on Oct 11.  I just got back from the Winnequah Gun Club board meeting.  They are going to allow us to hold an AS on October 11 and 12.

I posted here because its in October, not September.  OK?

Colycat

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Garand69

Leave it to someone who resides behind the Cheddar Curtain to post an October shoot in a September thread   ;D

Hear that Illinois, Coly is inviting us to Wisconsin, that would be a perfect oppurtunity to capture a particular range that is right over the border and claim it Illinois!  :D
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

colycat

Quote from: Garand69 on September 05, 2008, 07:31:22 AM
Leave it to someone who resides behind the Cheddar Curtain to post an October shoot in a September thread   ;D

You forgot to add" In the wrong state!" 
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

TreadCarefully

Does it seem funny to you that almost all of the IL shoots to date have been within spitting distance of I80?

I thought the downstaters were supposed to be the freedom lovers and that it was us Cook County types that were the source of repression in the Land of Lincoln. Now I'm not trying to make anyone get off the couch or anything, but doesn't it seem a little weird that in the ENTIRE 3/4 of the state outside of the collar counties that only Bloomington can manage an Appleseed, and only 1 a year at that?

Seems like an awful lot of guys with an awful lot of land....

Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

Fred

Good point, TC.

Which brings up another "Illinois Challenge": Let's get a DAR in IL THIS year!

Let's get at least one land-owning gunowner to quit talking and do something...

BTW, IL, stand by, as there's a new challenge headed your way about the April 19th 2009 Project - 13 Appleseeds on the weekend of April 18/19, 2009?

Can you do it?

Of course, not, NOW.

But you have six months - plus! And I'm betting you can get 13 locations, and train 13 Shoot Bosses, in that period of time - if you want to!

The question is, "Do you want to?"

You guys will have to answer that, not with words, but with action.

And if the answer is not positive, we may have to transfer The Guy to a more productive state. ??? ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Fred

As a "PS", I need to give you Illinois slackers a head's up: If we don't see a buzz of action on this challenge, we'll have to bus some Californians in, just to show you how it's done!

Don't make us get brutal!  ;D ;D

Don't let that happen - they may like the state, and decide to stay! ;D ;D ;D

Spatulaman

Since this thread seems to be pretty active, I'm posting a flyer for the NEW Ottawa shoot on this thread as well as in the ILL. board.

September 27th-28th, 2008.

funfaler

How about an Instructor Course in IL, prior to the Ottawa, Sept 27-28  Shoot?

With all the good folks, in IL, working to make this one of the finest states in the Appleseed Union (Guy looking for a tender crow to eat), we surely get an Instructor Course there.

Heck, you have all you need, good folks, a MI, good location, and the WILL and DETERMINATION.  We might even get a few folks from WI and IN to join you ;)

Can we do it?  You bet, just gots to say that word and post it up.

PS>  IN, KY, OH all need Instructor Courses in the next month or so....so don't let them get a jump on the date and spoil that "new Instructor Course smell"  :o ;D

TheEditor

A bunch of Californians have already moved here!  They're called "Chicagoans". 

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

TreadCarefully

Quote from: TheEditor on September 05, 2008, 03:10:35 PM
A bunch of Californians have already moved here!  They're called "Chicagoans". 

Easy now!

We need 13 Shoot Bosses in this region by next April.

Why?

Because we need to have 13 Appleseeds scheduled for 4/19 of next year, IN THIS REGION!

That's right. In 2008 we had 13 events in the entire country. In 2009 we will have 13 in the upper midwest alone.

We need Shoot Bosses. We need Instructors. We will have to build this instructor corps ourselves. People in the rest of the country will be busy with their own shoots. We need 'natives' to fill the ranks. If we build it, I am confident that Funfaler can get the events scheduled i.e. if we build it, they will come.

California is talking about 13 events on that day. Nickle thinks New England can do it. Scout thinks Texas can do it. I think we can.

Fred wants 50 Appleseeds on 4/19/09. I think he is thinking small. But, we need to do our part.

Instructor course in September is a great idea. We will need another one before the end of the year. I know Guy isn't afraid of the cold, so we should schedule on in January too.

Who's with me?

Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

Fred

QuoteI think he is thinking small.

Gee, what do you have to do around here, to get some respect? ;D

Guess someone has to kick open the door to this here saloon, mosey in right slow-like, and say, "I believe we can do 100 AS on one weekend in April - whataya you boys say?"

In the instant silence, can you hear leather being slapped? ;D ;D

Hey - I'm all for one hundred!! ;D ;D ;D

The Guy

Well, I will be in Montana the two weekends prior to that.  Why I was thinking more along the lines of October/November.

January also, maybe March as well.  Bring the carharts!

funfaler

Quote from: The Guy on September 05, 2008, 11:09:13 PM
Well, I will be in Montana the two weekends prior to that.  Why I was thinking more along the lines of October/November.

Sorry Guy, if you can't keep up with the pace, we will have to find some one who can  :o ;) ;D

This region NEEDS 3 IBCs in Sept/Oct time frame, that is all there is to it.

We need to really rally the troops, with 12+ new Instructors for the up coming Oct/Nov shoots in this region.

Then some winter IBCs?  or get some further South to get some of these folks on the line.

We need instructors, that is what will make/break April 19th, 2009!

Spatulaman

Quote from: The Guy on September 05, 2008, 11:09:13 PM

With apologies to The Eagles-

"So put me on a highway,
  And show me a sign-
  And take it, to the limit,
  One more time...."

colycat

Well I,m in for what and whenever things  happen in my new adopted state.