News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

You might be an Appleseeder if ....

Started by Twineagles, January 27, 2013, 12:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trig

you've had to explain to the officer why your cupholder and floor mats are full of casings.

You tell the strikes and every DOM you know to captive audiences (like on a road trip with your cousins/friends).

You can paper the walls of your house with your saved AQTS and Redcoats.

You use to have a 3 car garage, now you have a 2 car, and an appleseed area

You leave a Cleared red coat posted next to an unshot one after every range visit.

You have a dozen "friends" that avoid your texts/emails because they know if they respond you will be demanding them to come to the next appleseed event.

Your wife asks when she can get "her Garand"  :cool2:

Your wife scores rifleman and takes a hat so she can spend time with you.
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

NorCal22Gal

You clean out your back pack getting ready for the next work week and find several black sharpies, a few pens, a couple of chamber flags and brass, zip ties, and a few (  ::) ) assorted pieces of brass tossed in there....

Miller

Picking spent .22 brass out of the tread of your boots is so routine that it's no longer a conscious act.

You find spent .22 brass in your change jar when you take it to the bank to cash in. (Which leads to some funny looks from the nice girls working the teller windows.  Good opening for the AS sales pitch though.)

You buy all your pants based on how comfortable they are to prone out in rather than how good they make you look. (And consider built-in pockets for knee pads the greatest thing ever.)

Fearful but resolute.

ItsanSKS

You have a better understanding of the causation of the War for Independence than most High-School History teachers.

You teach American Revolutionary History better than most High School teachers, and have been told as much by a High School teacher.

You know the difference between the War for Independence, and the American Revolution.  (and so do your friends, relatives, coworkers, facebook/twitter friends, and anyone who ever sent you an email)

You are more likely to quote someone that's been dead 200+ years, than you are to quote a current celebrity.

Quotes from the founding generation are inserted into your random daily conversations.

You *feel* the debt that you owe to the Founding Generation.

Though aforementioned debt can never be repaid, you work diligently to 'pay-it-forward'.

At the end of the day, you sleep peacefully knowing that on this day, you have done everything you can to spread the ideals of Liberty and Freedom.

When current events are getting you down, a quick trip down AAR lane has you feeling better.

Pictures from events you attended/worked bring the smell of gun smoke and Freedom to your nostrils.

You understand that "Freedom isn't free" is not some cliche, and you know the price that was paid.

When asked what people you find inspiration in, your list contains more people who died 237 years ago, than 'celebrities'.

You understand that Liberty isn't a spectator sport, and that it is played for keeps. 

You know that the hardest war to fight is the one for the hearts and minds of your fellow countrymen, yet understand that it is the only one worth winning.

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Twineagles

You read the message about the new Marlin LTR rifles and instinctively wondered how do I order one.
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Transform

Quote from: Twineagles on February 27, 2013, 03:07:09 PM
You read the message about the new Marlin LTR rifles and instinctively wondered how do I order one.

One? Whaddya mean ONE?

Roland

Quote from: Miller on February 09, 2013, 02:00:03 AM
Picking spent .22 brass out of the tread of your boots is so routine that it's no longer a conscious act.

You mean you don't take the common sizes of brass with you to the store to determine whether a pair of boots will be brass-sticking free?
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Miller

Quote from: Roland on February 27, 2013, 06:14:42 PM
Quote from: Miller on February 09, 2013, 02:00:03 AM

You mean you don't take the common sizes of brass with you to the store to determine whether a pair of boots will be brass-sticking free?

I haven't bought a new pair of boots since I started Appleseeding.
I tend to wear a pair of boots until they just sort of fade away.
Fearful but resolute.

Twineagles

You buy a high end rifle and a gi sling is installed first

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

fatboytactical

You have suggested the Idea of going to your in-laws for Memorial day weekend because you realize there is a apple seed shoot close bye.

You have 10/22 mags that are marked 2 and 8.
Fat people are harder to kidnap.

Mutti

You replace the carry strap on your mats with GI Slings so you'll always have extras to loan.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Pitmaster

Quote from: Mutti on May 04, 2013, 08:12:21 AM
You replace the carry strap on your mats with GI Slings so you'll always have extras to loan.

What a great idea.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

imadentist

You hand out redcoat targets like most people hand out business cards.

You make your co-workers bring their .22's to work so you can school them on how to prepare for their 1st seed! (I have taught prone on my office floor (with the door closed of course)

All your friends/family/co-workers/acquaintances have either started running away when they see you coming OR they have signed up for a seed.

Every conversation begins with have you signed up for the next AS and/or have you joined the NRA yet...followed by UN-MERCILESS shaming if the answer to either of these questions is no.  After the required shaming I tell them a short story about an act of sacrafice that was made on their behalf 238 years ago!

KD Cat

When you use apple seed shirt as a pillow cases.
When get 2 XXL shirts to sew together for a sleeping bag.
When you call you cats it sounds like this........ WITH 2 BOWLS OF FOOD EAT! ;D.
When you call your sibs by there form name.

KDCat   
When a man loves cats, I am his friend without further introduction.
-Mark Twain

Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
-Mary Kay Ash

Pitspitr

You're told that you tried explaining "something about inches, minutes and clicks" to your non-AS wife the night before.
(I talk in my sleep) ::)

Bullet

You get pulled over for speeding and your first thought is, "Cool, I can tell the cop about Appleseed."  And...it works.  ;D

A friend starts to invite you to a Saturday event and then interrupts himself... "Oh, never mind, you do the shooting teaching thing every Saturday." 
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Miller

Quote from: Bullet on June 24, 2013, 04:49:39 PM
You get pulled over for speeding and your first thought is, "Cool, I can tell the cop about Appleseed."  And...it works.  ;D

A friend starts to invite you to a Saturday event and then interrupts himself... "Oh, never mind, you do the shooting teaching thing every Saturday."

Friend has already been to a 'seed right?
Right?
Fearful but resolute.

Twineagles

When you are purchasing another 10/22 and the salesman offers to show you how to operate it and you offer to show him how to dissemble the trigger group. Cabelas guy seemed a bit taken back by that  ;D

discoqueen

These are all fantastic, and I found myself nodding my head in agreement to more than a few!

At the last Appleseed I attended, a discussion ensued with a couple of people about how they found the prone position really uncomfortable. I responded that prone is my favorite shooting position. Then I realized why.

I've been sleeping in prone position (unknowingly) for several years now. Can't fall asleep any other way. LOL!

Pitspitr

Quote from: discoqueen on July 19, 2013, 12:52:02 PM
prone is my favorite shooting position. Then I realized why.

I've been sleeping in prone position
Maybe I need to try that! ::)

ThaiFighter

...You are on a first-name basis with every RSO at every range within 200 miles...
...Your slings and staple guns all have "THIS XXX BELONGS TO" written in large block letters on them
... and they still walk away...
...you've given enough .22 ammo away to fund a nice vacation...
...You own 3 dozen click pens and each has been held by dozens of people and none has ever written a scratch...
...You understand the feedback loop of an attentive audience...
...the dramatic pause in your presentation packs more of a punch than the vast majority of your words...
...you've served as red hat under an shoot boss that you coached as a shooter...
... you remember the sheepish look on that shoot boss's face when you called him out for a safe rifle violation as a shooter...

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

308LIBERTY

Guys who run the indoor range, after intently watching you shoot, looks at the t-shirt and says "Oh, you're one of them Appleseeder's. That says a lot!"
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

209Ken

...if you have used a shooting mat as a sleeping mat while camping at a shooting range.
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

TaosGlock

You know now that your other "gun forums" are mostly worthless, iceberg ridden, male chat rooms for "gun owners".

All your buddies are Appleseed instructors or at the least, attendees, or you will rarely answer their e-mails/calls.

You have a GI sling on your hunting rifle, which is now the same as your MBR.

Your CMP M1 Garand has replaced your bedside CQB AR.

All your rangefinders now laser to at least the limit of your rifle sights in bad conditions.

You have actually shot your Mosin Nagant and 8mm mauser  to "2000" yards per the maximum marked sight marking.

You filed/painted 4 notches down the front sight of your 03A3 so it will shoot to 1200 yards so it is mostly on equal ground with your Garand and M1A.

You look forward to shooting in the wind.

You snicker at the word 'tactical" and CQB.

Your wife, who is now an Appleseed instuctor, also has the same amount of MBR's as you do.
Same wife also has as many field boots/clothes as she had has casual dress garments.
Same wife now thinks nothing of a reloading bench in the master bedroom as her AR likes custom ammo for long range.

You know that phrases like "Live free or die" and "Don't tread on me" are more than just modern slogans bandied about as bumper stickers on todays vehicles.
You know that these colonial slogans were words that defined a code, that was a lifestyle, which is the American Revolution.
You know the Appleseed words "learn today, teach tomorrow" are part of that same 'American Revolution'.

You correct others when they say 'American Revolution' as they nearly always mean 'Revolutionary War'.

You know who coined the phrase 'shot heard round' the world' and where it was at, it's significance and correct/educate others who know not their heritage.

You can at least argue, though not conclusively, with the revisionists who fired that first single shot at Lexington.
You love to correct the revisionists about what really happened at Lexington after the first shots by whom and you do it with respect for their ignorance.

You know the Grand Union flag is not a modern "British" flag.  When a historically challenged doufus americana asks you at a gun show "why are you displaying a "British" flag?", you refrain from asking them if they flunked American history.

You fly a Betsy Ross flag.

You actually help your struggling fellow scoped sighted bench shooter to get his rifle sighted in by explaining to him it is initially easier at 25 yards that at 100....and why! Then hand him an Appleseed trifold and next shoot date for an Appleseed.

The top and bottom layer of trifolds are actually the protective covers for the ones you give out.

The seat behind your truck has a full compliment of AS targets.

You know that a rack grade MBR and mil-spec ammo is plenty good enough for our program.

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Burnett

Quote from: Transform on February 01, 2013, 08:49:19 PM
Your sleep patterns have changed:
Do you mean that you sleep in stages? Like 2 hours, then 55 minutes, then 65 minutes, and finally, 5 hours?

Timothy_D

You've shrunk a Redcoat and AQT target by 33% to allow for training at a 50' range.

Red Wing

So glad this thread got bumped! So much awesomeness! My contribution:

You have burn scars on your support elbow from a fellow Appleseeder's freshly-ejected .22 brass; because you refused to compromise your NPOA over a little pain....
Rifleman & Requal. 9/19/21; 1x Prism
Winterseed Rifleman 12/5/21; 1-6x LPVO
Distinguished (240/250) 5/14/22; 1-6x LPVO
Orange Hat 5/14/22
Known Distance 5/21/22; 1-6x LPVO
Instructor Boot Camp: Racine 10/22/22
Qualified w/ Irons! 2/18/23

LadyRimfire

Quote from: Mutti on May 04, 2013, 08:12:21 AM

What a great idea!
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Aliquippa

You see someone on a FB buy nothing page is giving away two boxes of 50 each plastic type political signs -and you snatch them up for your local Shoot Bosses to use as backers.

Geek

You find yourself looking for events at locations that allow camping so you can afford to help at more.
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

Our cause is just . . . our country will be grateful - George Rogers Clark

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy