News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

IBC @ Battle Ground, WA, Jan19-20, 2013

Started by George Hacker, January 12, 2013, 01:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Hacker

Range: Venersborg Community Center

Address: 24309 NE 209th Street, Battle Ground, WA 98604

When: January 19-20, 2013 - Instructor Boot Camp Event

Range Fee: N/A

Camping available: Yes - outdoors and in the schoolhouse (schoolhouse has electricity and a wood stove)

Hotels:
    Best Western Plus Battle Ground Inn & Suites
    1419 W Main Street, Battle Ground, WA 98604
    360-687-8881, 6.2 miles

Rodeway Inn & Suites
    9201 NE Vancouver Mall Drive, Vancouver, WA 98662
    360-254-0900, 11 miles

La Quinta Inn
    1500 NE 134th Street, Vancouver, WA 98685
    360-566-1100, 12 miles

Directions:
    From Portland:
      Take I-205 north to Padden Pkwy. East. Stay on Padden Pkwy as
      it turns into 182nd Ave. Go through Hockinson. Turn right onto
      Risto Road.

From Seattle:
      Take the I-5 Battle Ground exit/219th St east. Turn right onto
      SR503. Turn left onto Eaton Blvd/199th St. Continue past 167th
      Ave and through the sharp curves. Turn left immediately after the
      curves onto Risto Rd.

--THEN--

Continue on Risto Rd. for 3.2 miles. You will see the old Venersborg
    Country Store on the left. The schoolhouse is on the right after NE
    242nd Ave and just before the Venersborg Church.

GPS: 45.7735N, 122.4235W

State Laws to be aware of:
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Washington for a summary
    of Washington State gun laws or the state website for the actual laws
    (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41).

What to Bring:
    RWVA Instructor Manual
    Unusual rifles we might see on the line
    Food to share?  The facility has a kitchen

Misc:
    This is not a range so there will not be trigger time at this
    location.  This will be time spent learning how to instruct better.
    Additional plans will be made to share lunch and evening meals
    together.

For More Information Contact:
    ShadowMan on the Appleseed Forums or NWPromo@appleseedinfo.org
    Theophilus on the Appleseed Forums or WA@appleseedinfo.org

Registration Link:  http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5022594716
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

George Hacker

Let's use this thread to plan IBC logistics.  We will have to plan for the following meals:

Saturday breakfast
Saturday lunch
Saturday dinner
Sunday breakfast
Sunday lunch
Sunday dinner  (smaller since some folks will be traveling home)

Here are my suggestions:

Breakfast - one day have breakfast burritos, the other day have pancakes?
Lunch - sandwiches, take-n-bake-pizzas, baked potatoes with toppings?
Dinner - Dutch treat restaurant visit in town?, potluck (the schoolhouse and my house have refrigerators)

Snacks are always welcome

What do the rest of you think about vittles?

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

Gunman Doc

I'm really looking forward to next weekend's IBC.  Athena 1775 and I will be flying in, so we're limited on what kind of foods we can travel with.  She's planning on bringing some baked goodies to share.  If anyone can supply a Croxkpot, we can pick up ingredients in town to prepare a dish for one of the lunches or dinners.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. "
--Samuel Adams

"Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent."
― Napoleon Bonaparte

kenjo

I assumed we would bring sack lunches and perhaps meet up at a local restaurant for dinner on Saturday. The community meals for breakfast and lunch seems to add a complication to the event, but I'm up for whatever the consensus is.

kenjo
:pop:
"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

George Hacker

Quote from: kenjo on January 12, 2013, 03:14:44 PM
I assumed we would bring sack lunches and perhaps meet up at a local restaurant for dinner on Saturday. The community meals for breakfast and lunch seems to add a complication to the event, but I'm up for whatever the consensus is.

Consensus is what it is all about.  I just wanted to put options out there.

I think keeping lunch time efficient is essential to keep the time monkey in the cage.  Having a warm breakfast for those camping on-site would be a bonus.  It could be an optional event.

Athena 1775

Gunman Doc and I will be flying in, and camping out in the schoolhouse.  We're 100% on board with whatever the consensus is... even if there are 2 different plans for "campers" and "commuters".  How many of us are staying at the schoolhouse?  Do you guys think it's better to do communal meals, or just "fend for ourselves"?

If we are cooking at the schoolhouse, the goal is probably to minimize prep and cleanup time, so that we can spend as much time as possible learning.  Like GunmanDoc mentioned, I have an awesome chicken (with black beans and corn) Crockpot recipe that is easy enough for lunch one day.  Everything gets dumped in the pot, and it cooks until lunchtime.  I think that ShadowMan's idea of take-and-bake pizza would also be time-efficient.  And, of course, not everyone has to participate in community meals, if we DO decide to have them.

Perhaps dinner in town would be good Saturday night... we might be ready for a change of scenery?

Regardless, I'll bring some snacks and baked goodies.  :)
"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"

Transform

I like food. Food is good. Let's eat food.
I like wood stoves. I'm camping indoors.
I like pizza. I'm bringing a take and bake either way.
I like learning. I'll bring a brain, possibly my own, if I can find it.

Does this kitchen have pots, utensils, dishes, silverware, or do we need to bring such?
Does this kitchen have a dishwasher, for the grand mess we are about to create?
Does anyone further north have a crockpot, or should I dig mine out of storage?
I thought we were starting on Saturday, what time on Friday do the doors open?

hawkhavn

I'm flying in as well...  :)
So not much room for goodies, but I am looking forward to meeting and working with all of you.
Any questions ahead of time, just post them up or PM me.

I will be bringing my food with but up for a trip out SAT night if we decide to go that way.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

paulw

I'm planning to camp in too.
I'll have lunch stuff (sack lunch style) for both days.
A potluck would be good Sat, but I'll be on the road right after Sunday. Restaurant Sat would be ok too.
Pancake breakfast Sunday? I can bring an electric griddle.

Dibs on a spot on the floornear an outlet for my cpap machine (it's much quieter than my snoring)  :)

George Hacker

Quote from: Transform on January 12, 2013, 06:05:08 PM
I like food. Food is good. Let's eat food.
I like wood stoves. I'm camping indoors.
I like pizza. I'm bringing a take and bake either way.
I like learning. I'll bring a brain, possibly my own, if I can find it.

Does this kitchen have pots, utensils, dishes, silverware, or do we need to bring such?
Does this kitchen have a dishwasher, for the grand mess we are about to create?
Does anyone further north have a crockpot, or should I dig mine out of storage?
I thought we were starting on Saturday, what time on Friday do the doors open?

The IBC instruction will begin Saturday morning, but we have some folks from out of town arriving on Friday.  I will be returning from a business trip at around 8pm on Friday night, so I will see about making arrangements to get the schoolhouse opened at around 5pm (still TBD).

I don't know if the kitchen has cookware and utensils - so let's assume it doesn't.  The building is typically used for Boy Scouts and community potlucks (everyone brings their own dinnerware and are responsible for their own cookware cleanup).  The kitchen does not have a dishwasher, so perhaps we should use paper plates for eating and bring our own cups/utensils.  It does have a sink so we can wash cookware the "old-fashioned way."  I will take my own cookware home for cleaning.  I have a residential dishwasher at home so I might be persuaded to wash others' cookware.

Summary:
  I'll provide paper plates and napkins
  Everyone will provide their own easting utensils and cups
  Those who will be cooking will need to bring their own cookware and serving utensils

ShadowMan

Transform

Quote from: paulw on January 12, 2013, 06:35:44 PM
(it's much quieter than my snoring)  :)

Snoring? I'll bring you a LONG extension cord that can reach your tent!

Kimber Custom

I have a projector and screen I can bring if you need for presentations.

As far as food goes, is there a grill available? Costco makes some really good take and bake pizzas for $9 each and they are big or I'm happy to bring a pot of soup to share. Just let me know what's needed. I can also get cut fruit and veggies, deli style salads and sandwiches at cost if you want that kind of finger food.

For rifles I have a GSG 522 and a Winchester pump .22. Those would be the only 'unusual' rifles in my collection. I have a 10/22 w/ Williams sights if anyone would like to see those. I also have a non-firing Brown Bess replica (model is probably a better term).

Looking forward to next weekend.

hawkhavn

Kimber,

Toss in that projector and screen, we may need it.
Since we won't have 50 attendees like the MI crew I don't think we need a sound system to go with it.

HH

p.s. The PM you sent, bring that up in class.

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

tionico

I'll be rolling in sometime Friday evening.....

I have a two burner propane camp cooker..... I'll bring it along, If it stays in the van, fine. If we need it, bonus.

For Sat night, I'd rather hunker down and eat there.... money. Most local low priced food sill not be much to my liking anyway. SO.. for Sat Evening, I will bring one each dead chicken (certified NOT diseased), and cook it up in a great Mexican style.. no worries, the hottest thing in the pot will be standard black pepper. This is from SOUTHERN Mexico, not hot at all. It is easy, toss it all in the pot and let it cook. Yum MEEEEEE   Maybe some rice as well? Others. maybe some veggies, who knows? Salsa and chips? I'll have with me the pots, etc, I need to cook it all in.

For breakfast... I NEED protein along with the starch.. so I'll bring eggs,, I have plenty. Not sure, but probably also a fry pan. Lunch stuff, I typically go basic but solid.

I will also be bringing what I need for coffee and tea throughout the weekend... along with the hot cups to serve it in. It will be good, freshly roasted coffee. brewed proper like. If you don't like coffee, that's fine.. more for me. Tea will also be available for those who prefer it. I may or may not have decaf, coffee, depends on what I decide to roast.

I'll be camping out at the schoolhouse...... either inside, or perhaps in the back of my van. Depends on the sitcheeyashun.......

HawkHaven, it will be SO good to see you again.. last time was in Deary Idaho. Looking forwrad to it.

As to unusual rifles....

apple core''whats it for ishapore

I found an Enfield Ishapore, which I think is amusing and unusual enough to drag along. Perhaps also my chromed Parade Rifle complete with Nazi Proof marks.... 1942, if memory serves. 8mm Mauser, of course. Maybe also my 6.5 Swede Mauser Husqvarna with original bayonet. I'll leave the Ljungman home.

If there is enough brain to locate after the week  in school, I'll try and convince it to come along for the ride.....

see y'all friday and/or Saturday. Should be good.

Any reports on how many we will be? Looks like at least three from well outside our area. Good, more new friends.

One more detail... if any of you will be wanting coffee, and have a decent cup you can bring, please do so. I hate using those cups once and then seeing them chucked into the woodstove.... a nice ceramic mub makes the coffee taste better anyway. Depending on how many we have there, we may even be able to fill giant mugs for all hands.... but probably not. Oh well.. there's always another pot to build.

hawkhavn

tionico,

I'll be glad to see you again as well, I still talk about that mug of tea you made for me at Deary.
Look forward to meeting and working with everyone this weekend.

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

paulw

Yay - I like coffee.
RL and I are carpooling down Saturday morning (We'll breakfast on the road).
I'll cook up some baby back ribs for Saturday potluck and bring a grill and pancake stuff for Sunday morning.
paulw

Joni

I will bring a crock pot and griddle for using. If we "stay in" for Sat. how about we bring sliced meat, bread and the stuff to fill it? We would like to bring fruit to snack on too, and on Sun. evening we could eat up whatever is left over?  I have two packages of sausages I will bring for the pancakes, they need protein! and fruit w/whip!! BTW, I am the self appointed "do ee" so you folks taking the class will not miss a single moment!!
Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Joni

Joni

We will also bring an ice chest w/ice for all the drinks/water/milk/juice whatever!
Joni

RL

Hey do I owe money to anybody other than Rizzin? If I do, I have forgotten, please remind me...
...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

Kimber Custom

Do we have a final consensus on food? How many are we feeding? Do I need to bring anything besides the projector and the instructor manual? What time are we starting?

George Hacker

Quote from: Kimber Custom on January 17, 2013, 12:53:32 PM
Do we have a final consensus on food? How many are we feeding? Do I need to bring anything besides the projector and the instructor manual? What time are we starting?

I will post something later today about logistics.

ShadowMan

Audrey

Since there's no shooting at this event, Josh and I will go out Sunday morning and put a few rounds through our Appleseed rifles with some friends in your steads. (;

Tracey_B

Hi all,

I am jumping in here kind of late. I can bring a salad and another side for Saturday nights dinner. Will pitch in some more snacks for the rest of the weekend. I will plan on bringing my own lunch stuff. Breakfast Sunday morning would be nice. Is there anything else we would like besides the pancakes, eggs, sausage and fruit? I am willing to pitch in with whatever else is needed. Throw out list and I will pick some. I can bring a crockpot also if we need more then one.

Looking forward to meeting/seeing all of you,
Tracey

Joni

It's a bit of a mess this meal stuff!! lol!
But I think there will be plenty of food.
Lets see what all there is on Fri. nite and I can go the store and get what we need (donations accepted depending on the amount!).

Maybe Sunday lunch have pizza? We should also plan to eat leftovers on Sun.
I will be bringing fresh fruit, Tracy_B salad would be good with pizza or sandwiches.
I will bring a crock pot, and 2 electric skillets, with accessories.
Chicken dish Sat. evening? noon sandwiches/fruit/snacks??

Breakfast pancakes/sasage/ham/fruit/syrup/whip cream?
Coffee is something I won't worry about Nick, except  for the caraf, do you want me to bring our french press? half and half/creamer/sugar?
Joni

paulw

Just picked up a package of baby back ribs at Costco (9#) I'll cook em up and have them in a crock pot for Sat dinner along with Nick's excellent Mexican chicken dish. If we have too much food Sat we can eat them for lunch Sunday.
Have a big bag of pancake mix, butter, maple syrup & a griddle for Sunday breakfast.
I'm going to pack a lunch for both days.

Athena 1775

Hi all-

Gunman Doc and I will bring lunches for ourselves, and breakfast for ourselves for Saturday.  It's hard to tell if we'll have enough food from the items already listed, since I don't know how many of us there are, how many are staying for dinner, etc.  We have a recipe ready to go, but - since we're coming in from (waaaay) out of town, we'll hold off on buying the ingredients until we have a better idea of how everything's shaping up.  Hopefully we'll have a better idea by Friday night, or early Saturday, and we can run to a store if needed.  Thanks for your offer of a Crockpot, ShadowMan - I appreciate it very much, whether we get to use it or not!

And I've already packed some miscellaneous treats to share.

See some of you tomorrow - and the rest of you Saturday!
Athena 1775 (Jen)
"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"

George Hacker

OK, looking at the recent posts by Joni and paulw, here is the meal schedule for Saturday and Sunday.  You are always welcome to bring your own food to eat instead.

Saturday breakfast - eggs, bacon, oatmeal, grits (I will cook scrambled Mexican eggs and bring tortillas)
Saturday lunch - sandwiches, soups, and salads
Saturday dinner - ribs and Mexican chicken by paulw and tionico (others can supplement with side dishes and additional meat if needed)

Sunday breakfast - pancakes (paulw and I will bring griddles and pancake mix, I will bring butter and a bottle of syrup)
Sunday lunch - take & bake pizza (3 people per pizza at a cost of $5 per person) ***
Sunday dinner - play it by ear since many folks will leave right away to head home

There are 20 people registered for the IBC, so we should plan on feeding 20 people.  It would be better to have extra than not enough food.  Bring some snacks to share.  We will eat off of paper plates, but please bring your own eating (and serving utensils) and a cup for drinking.  More planning will be done at the schoolhouse tomorrow night.

The schoolhouse will be opened up around 8:00pm Friday evening.  I will be returning from a business trip at that time.  Be at the schoolhouse at 8:30 on Saturday morning to register.  Breakfast will be served at 8:00am in the morning for those who want to partake.

Don't forget to bring a copy of the RWVA Instructor's Manual for your own reference and materials for taking notes.

I will see some of you Friday night and others Saturday morning.  I'm really looking forward to this event and thank you, hawkhavn, for coming west to facilitate this IBC.  See you this weekend!

ShadowMan

*** - We may not need to get too many pizzas if we have enough left overs from Saturday meals.

Athena 1775

Thank you, ShadowMan!  With that information in hand, Gunman Doc and I will make a side dish for dinner Saturday night, bring snacks to share, bring cash to supplement the other food items.  I love it when a plan comes together! :)

Transform

The food info is so overwhelming that I've lost my appetite. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll find it around here somewhere. Nevertheless, I'll still be bringing a whole bunch of take and bake pizzas, and nothing else, cuz that's what I got.

I had hoped and planned to arrive in time for Friday night's wild party, but it looks like I'll be driving up bleary-eyed early on Saturday morn instead. I can stay late on Sunday to eat leftovers, then drive back bleary-eyed as well.

Mherriford

Well unfortunately I have come down with some nasty virus, came home from work this morning and hoped that I could kick it in the butt and still go this weekend.

But in the interest of not getting everyone else sick I believe I will have to sit this one out.

I really hate being sick.