News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Club affiliation for CMP garand purchase

Started by Boston, January 10, 2013, 05:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

I have my ROC and a certificate for a marksmanship course from my first Appleseed shoot. Does the Rifleman opportunity card fulfill the CMP requirement for club affiliation?

I have to drive out to WV next week near Pittsburgh and want to swing by Camp Perry on my way home to buy a Garand. Don't want to pick one out only to find I can't buy it.

Anyone have any past experience at the Camp perry CMP they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

number6

This is my opinion,  Since the ROC is just a membership card with an endorsement for future Appleseeds, I would say yes.

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

Chainsaw

The ROC card is a membership in RWVA, so yes, that fulfills the club requirement.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Boston

Yahoo!  Looks like I am going shopping next week!

Thanks!

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Boston on January 10, 2013, 05:29:15 PM
I have my ROC and a certificate for a marksmanship course from my first Appleseed shoot. Does the Rifleman opportunity card fulfill the CMP requirement for club affiliation?

I have to drive out to WV next week near Pittsburgh and want to swing by Camp Perry on my way home to buy a Garand. Don't want to pick one out only to find I can't buy it.

Anyone have any past experience at the Camp perry CMP they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the ROC is a sticker on the back of your RWVA membership card, if it is current, it is proof of membership in a CMP affiliated organization (which RWVA is). If I were you I would download and review the CMP application so you can get a feel for all of the requirements. They also have instructions online.

Make sure to check out the North Store Reports on the CMP forum. From what I've seen, pickings have been a bit slim of late (no special grade), but that can change every day, and you might find a real gem sitting there when you walk in.

I sent in my mail order for my first Garand with CMP myself in mid-December, in my case a SA service grade special (correct metal, new wood, post-war). I'm hoping I get it around the end of the month.

Good luck, now is a great time to get a Garand from the CMP. The golden era may be ending soon. Orest (the COO) said that they thought they had a few months of service grade specials last month, but with the recent influx of orders don't know how long they will last now.

2 clicks low

go to the CMP's website and download the requirments. You need proof of citizenship, birth cert. or passport.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Boston

Process looks relatively painless. Just hope they have some good rifles in stock.

Sounds like the buying frenzy has hit the CMP as well as all the local shops.

Prairie Eagle

I don't know if it's the buying frenzy, that's probably a part of it, but the CMP can only uncover so many of these, they are going to run out sometime and in some of the grades sooner rather than later. They don't get to make any more. As it is the CMP has not had any correct or collector grades , or M1A in quite a while, the service grade special will be joining the CMP extinction list relatively soon (weeks), IMO, and the service grade is becoming more and more sparse.

All of this means that now is a great time to get one while you can still get in on it. Good Luck in your search.

Prairie Eagle

Interesting post by Orest in the CMP forums today
Quotedon't call CMP now - you won't get through. email custserve@thecmp.org.

We have thousands of orders received on 2 Jan - and have not gotten to open them all yet.

Seems they had a big influx over the holidays.

I'm thrilled to report that my CC got charged and mine hit the estore today, which leads me to believe it will ship next week.

eta: he also had this to say

Quotethere is nothing with which to restock the store as long as we have rifle mail orders processed and not filled. Therefore there will be no regular restocking of the stores for those items - mainly service and field grade rifles.

Boston

Hope your rifle is the one you were looking for. Hopefully, I can pick one up on Wednesday and we can compare them at one of the waterman shoots this year.

My wife is out of town so I may make a few more purchases than normal next week. Better to ask for forgiveness.....

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Boston on January 11, 2013, 09:32:04 PM
Hope your rifle is the one you were looking for. Hopefully, I can pick one up on Wednesday and we can compare them at one of the waterman shoots this year.

My wife is out of town so I may make a few more purchases than normal next week. Better to ask for forgiveness.....

Sounds great, only thing better than one garand is a couple, you take some shots with mine, I with yours, maybe a tag-team AQT!

P.S. what the little lady doesn't know can't hurt her right? Your secret is safe with me  :cool2:

Pitmaster

That is why whenever my wife asks what I want for my birthday, Christmas, or wedding anniversary I always say "permission". When she asks what for, the response is "in case I need it".
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Pitmaster on January 11, 2013, 11:47:27 PM

That is why whenever my wife asks what I want for my birthday, Christmas, or wedding anniversary I always say "permission". When she asks what for, the response is "in case I need it".

Heh, my wife has just resorted to asking "so, what did I get you?" on these occasions. She didn't seem terribly excited that she got me a Mosin Nagant carbine for christmas  ;)

Boston

So I am now the proud owner of a M1 Garand!

Stopped by the CMP North store 5 minutes after it opened and joined the 10 epple already looking for some gems. Not many field or rack grades but a good selection of service specials. Also many M1C and M1D if you have some $$$$ to spend.

Wound up with a Springfield service special that had the new walnut stick and had never been issued. Still had the copper from the test fire on the grooves. Basically a "new rifle" with all matching parts. There were some issued ones for $50 less but they were all 3+ on the barrel and 5+ on the throat erosion.

Ammo was going fast.  I picked as as many as I could afford at the time but gold were buying 10 - 20 cans at a time and I expect they sold out yesterday at the store unless they got more.

Looking forward to trying this out during an AQT.

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Boston on January 17, 2013, 07:39:34 AM
So I am now the proud owner of a M1 Garand!

Stopped by the CMP North store 5 minutes after it opened and joined the 10 epple already looking for some gems. Not many field or rack grades but a good selection of service specials. Also many M1C and M1D if you have some $$$$ to spend.

Wound up with a Springfield service special that had the new walnut stick and had never been issued. Still had the copper from the test fire on the grooves. Basically a "new rifle" with all matching parts. There were some issued ones for $50 less but they were all 3+ on the barrel and 5+ on the throat erosion.

Ammo was going fast.  I picked as as many as I could afford at the time but gold were buying 10 - 20 cans at a time and I expect they sold out yesterday at the store unless they got more.

Looking forward to trying this out during an AQT.

Sound like you made an excellent choice and got a great rifle Boston. I can't wait to see it. The Service Grade Specials are an awesome value right now. If you later find the period wood you basically have a collectors grade. It's what I ordered and mind shipped yesterday to arrive today (thank goodness, was a little worried in the current climate). I plan on staining mine (new prod  CMP stock) with some USSR stain (Don on CMP forums makes it) to correct the color and then rubbing about 3 coats of pure tung oil on the stock for protection.

I'm not worried to much about the Greek HXP ammo running out anytime soon, but I do plan on getting 2 cans/month until I get my stock built up. Sort of a subscription model. Already have 2 with 2 more on the way.

Oh, and P.S.
  :pics:
(yeah I know, now I owe some)

SteelThunder

FWIW, here's a pic of my Special on a 1944 SA receiver.  She's a beauty, plays well with my 1939 SA and 1942 Winchester, although she does give me the "Garand Fat Lip" but that's my problem, not hers. 

(and yes I know the 2nd keeper on the 1907 sling is in the wrong place...has since been fixed)

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Boston

Steel thunder, nice pic.

Prairie eagle, I brought a friend to the CMP and he got the brown rifle bug really bad. We may go back and buy one. Would be a good time to make a ammo run if you were interested

Prairie Eagle

Steel, nice lookin rifle.

Boston if you do schedule another trip to the north store, shoot me a PM. I'm sure I could find something to add to the shopping list.

Prairie Eagle

Mine arrived today. Very pleased with what I got. Its from the last batch of Springfields (February, 1955), serial number 5,796,XXX. The metal looks brand new as does the bore. It gauged MW 1+, TE 2+. I owe some pics, but this weekend is pinewood derby time for the boy and I'm running it so I got some work to do. The wood (new CMP walnut) definitely needs some stain and oil, it's rather dry/raw/fresh.

Steck

Prairie Eagle, congrats on the new addition to the family!   >:D

Boston

Quote from: Prairie Eagle on January 17, 2013, 10:03:09 PM
Mine arrived today. Very pleased with what I got. Its from the last batch of Springfields (February, 1955), serial number 5,796,XXX. The metal looks brand new as does the bore. It gauged MW 1+, TE 2+. I owe some pics, but this weekend is pinewood derby time for the boy and I'm running it so I got some work to do. The wood (new CMP walnut) definitely needs some stain and oil, it's rather dry/raw/fresh.

I have a Springfield, serial number 5,878,XXX and it looks like it was never issued. Had some one with all the tools check it and TE is +1 (barely) and ME is 0. Looks like the copper from the test rounds are still on the inside of the barrel. Almost all the metal looks in brand new condition and they guy that checked it out was wondering if I was going to take it....

The CMP stock is nice but does seem very unfinished next to all the older M1's I looked at. Guys at the store told me they finish them with BLO to original spec and it just seems light since the other ones are old/dirty/refinished/waxed/oiled, etc.

I am looking at getting some linseed oil and gunny paste from Garand Gear to finish off the stock a bit more as it seems like it would soak up a gallon of water right now. What I really want to do is grease it up good and put some rounds downrange....

Prairie Eagle

Great looking rifle Boston, nice score!

Got off my behind and snapped some photos of mine. This is before doing anything with the wood. I am going to wipe it down a few times with mineral spirits, sand it lightly with 220 to open the pores, stain it with USSR stain to get a better color then add a couple of coats of tung oil.

Can't wait to put some downrange also. If you're at the Waterman shoot in March, maybe we will get a chance.

Boston

Prairie eagle, your rifle looks brand new! Nice pics.

Is that the Plano gun cleaning case? I am building a gun cleaning stand right and saw one like that on line.

Planning to be at Waterman in March. Got a new stock for the 22 and will want to sight in the Garand and try my luck at an AQT. Need to buy some dummy rounds to practice loading the en bloc with 2 rounds.

alkeford

Then will you take her out and site her in

Quote from: Prairie Eagle on January 20, 2013, 04:45:48 PM
Great looking rifle Boston, nice score!

Got off my behind and snapped some photos of mine. This is before doing anything with the wood. I am going to wipe it down a few times with mineral spirits, sand it lightly with 220 to open the pores, stain it with USSR stain to get a better color then add a couple of coats of tung oil.

Can't wait to put some downrange also. If you're at the Waterman shoot in March, maybe we will get a chance.
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Boston on January 23, 2013, 07:41:56 AM
Is that the Plano gun cleaning case? I am building a gun cleaning stand right and saw one like that on line.

Yep, it is, don't really care for it (not terribly efficient o the space for cleaning supplies), it was a gift . I'd much rather have a bit larger wood/felt one but I haven't one I like yet.

Prairie Eagle

Prairie Eagle

I got done refinishing my factory new production CMP walnut stock that came with my service grade special. The factory finish, was just sort of dull and lifeless to me - rather light/chalky and very dry:

So I wiped it down with acetone, then mineral spirits to remove the factory stain/oil, and sanded it lightly with 150 grit sandpaper (only, I did not  to seal the pores and cause gloss). I stained it, then wanted it a little darker so I hit it with Fiebing's dark leather dye (to darken and give it a bit more of the USGI oxidized red look that I was looking for). Then 3 light coats of Pure Tung Oil.  Here is the final result, I though I'd share in case you were interested:

I like how it turned out. I was going to get USGI wood to make it correct/collectors, but I can take my time on that now with good condition wood going for $250-$450. This will suit me for a while.

Boston

Looks nice! Did you completely remove all the wood off the barrel or did you just leave it in place to refinish?

I still want to use the linseed oil but may wait since it takes a few weeks to dry.

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: Boston on January 28, 2013, 08:12:43 PM
Looks nice! Did you completely remove all the wood off the barrel or did you just leave it in place to refinish?

I took the wood completely off the rifle, and all of the metal off the wood except the ferrule on the front of the front handguard and spacer (these are not meant to be removed from what I hear).

The CMP has a nice guide on detail stripping the wood:
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/striphtml/detailstripstockassemblyone.html

The only tricky part I found is removing the clip on the rear handguard, it takes a little patience, but its worth it to not deal with the barrel/receiver when finishing with stain. If you were just going to oil I'm sure you could leave it on and mask it off instead.

Boston

Did you use the minwax tung oil or another brand?