Author Topic: .22 rimfires and the luxury of choice  (Read 989 times)

Offline Marveen1

.22 rimfires and the luxury of choice
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
Hey, my husband and I have been considering attending an Appleseed.

One thing that has us hesitating is our rifle selection--for instance, elsewhere on the forum I read

"My .22 was a pump action with a tubular magazine. The course was geared toward semi-automatics with removable magazines."

While I own a semiauto .22, it also has that tubular magazine. There is almost no chance* of buying a shiny new semiauto for the course and I have doubts about my old squirrelstocked Marlin with no sling attachments. (It does have a sling for ease of carry, but I made it myself because we're poor, dammit.)

Reading further, I find the term LTR.  The Marlin is fairly similar to my heavier longarms, with the exception of the tube magazine.  Seems within the bounds of "reasonable" from this vantage point...

While the literature does encourage one to attend regardless, I have to wonder how many of the taught skills will be transferrable if one isn't shooting the same thing.

* I say "almost", because I suppose we COULD win the lottery or some such between now and then.

Offline FiremanBob

• designated Shoot Boss
Re: .22 rimfires and the luxury of choice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
You will be fine with your Marlin. We have specific procedures to accommodate tube-fed rifles. The Marlin 60 shooter in our Lynchburg shoot last weekend made Rifleman at his first Appleseed.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"
1022Companion.com

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Offline George Hacker

• Inactive Instructor
  • The instructor formerly known as "ShadowMan"
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
All of the skills will be transferable:  six steps to taking the shot, inches/minutes/clicks, and the various drills.  Make sure the sling is easily adjustable so it can be used when firing to build a steady position.

We have some procedures for dealing with tube-fed rifles, so not to worry.  Save some large straws to create a speed loader - we will show you how to make them.  As long as the capacity of your tube is 11 rounds or more, you will not have any problems with the timed events.

Thanks for posting.  All very good questions.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Offline Kosciusko

• designated Shoot Boss
  • For our freedom and yours ZA NASZA I WASZA WOLNOSC
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 05:09:32 PM »
Marlin 60 is usually more accurate than the most common rifle on the line- Ruger 10/22.

I have seen plenty of RM patches awarded to folks shooting the Marlin 60. 

You will be fine.

Kosciusko

Offline dayid

• Retired IIT
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
I've shot Rifleman using my Marlin Model 60. The tubular-fed "problem" is not really a problem at all and it seems to be exaggerated in many places on the internet.

Offline kenjo

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
A bolt action 22 can also be used as long as it has a detachable magazine or tube feeding device. The skills learned at Appleseed apply to any rifle. The magazine changes required for the AQT may not be applicable to hunting with a bolt action rifle without a detachable magazine but the shooting skills certainly are.
"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Unbridled Liberty

• Inactive Instructor
  • Act or Accept
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »
Hey, my husband and I have been considering attending an Appleseed.

One thing that has us hesitating is our rifle selection--for instance, elsewhere on the forum I read

"My .22 was a pump action with a tubular magazine. The course was geared toward semi-automatics with removable magazines."

While I own a semiauto .22, it also has that tubular magazine. There is almost no chance* of buying a shiny new semiauto for the course and I have doubts about my old squirrelstocked Marlin with no sling attachments. (It does have a sling for ease of carry, but I made it myself because we're poor, dammit.)

Reading further, I find the term LTR.  The Marlin is fairly similar to my heavier longarms, with the exception of the tube magazine.  Seems within the bounds of "reasonable" from this vantage point...

While the literature does encourage one to attend regardless, I have to wonder how many of the taught skills will be transferrable if one isn't shooting the same thing.

* I say "almost", because I suppose we COULD win the lottery or some such between now and then.

Use your tube rifle.  Just make sure that if a Shoot Boss asks you to not use it in favor of a loaner, that you nicely, but firmly, insist that you want to use YOUR rifle.  Occasionally a Shoot Boss will "persuade" a shooter to not use a tube rifle.  Just stand your ground (nicely).  Have fun!

UL

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
  • And the band played on.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »
Any rifle can beat the AQT in the hands of a shooter that listen, learns and implements the instruction we give.

Tube - Fine
Bolt - Fine
No Mag - Fine

You name it, it's been done.

Your rifles will do just fine.  The only thing they effect is speed of loading the tube.  If you have speedloaders it will help (you can make them from McDonalds straws), but you can do it without the speedloaders too.

Shoot your rifles and have a ball.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.