News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marksmanship in 1775: Myth or Reality?

Started by Unbridled Liberty, November 15, 2012, 10:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbridled Liberty

Marksmanship in 1775: Myth or Reality?
http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2455&cid=5

I would be surprised if someone had not already posted this somewhere in the past, but I just stumbled upon it and found it full of interesting info. 

Conclusion of the author: "It is not the gun that matters, we should remember, but the man behind it...Americans were nearly 12 times as effective at hitting their foe than British or European soldiers."

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Spartan24

There is a book that would explain this very well: On Killing. The fact that Americans were more used to death with hunting and slaughtering of animals, could have helped them become better at shooting and killing their enemy.
"Just name a hero and I'll prove he's a bum." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

Kaylee

Good piece!

I think also the fact that a substantial portion of the American colonists were French and Indian war vets is telling. And while it's no longer PC to talk about, fighting natives was a whole different ball of wax than fighting European rank and file armies. From what accounts I've seen so far, getting taken prisoner was usually a heck of a lot more like the Nick Berg video than Dances With Wolves.   Terrifying, sad, horrible time - but it no doubt hardened the colonists in a way even the 10th and 4th King's Own service at Culloden could match. 

Hunting in the Lexington/Concord area was mostly small game and (especially) waterfowl - it was pretty settled by the 1770's, but there's lots of swampy areas in eastern Massachusetts that didn't start getting filled in until the 19th century - and even now there's tons of wetland. (One of the things living here the last year has done is give me an appreciation for how deep the historical roots are for Anglo New Englanders as more a "shotgunning" people and Appalachian Scots-Irish/German hillbillies a "rifle" people.  )

Finally, the sights on surviving fowling pieces and muskets in the area are rudimentary by modern standards- and tiny.  but the precision they afford even for a smoothbore fowling piece is a noticeable improvement on a Bess musket. So far, I'm inclined to think the hit rates were only as low as they were because British flanking parties managing to keep the colonists out of smoothbore musket range from the main column for a noticeable part of the journey back. And even then they were awful precise by the standards of the day.

mtmisfit

Quote from: Spartan24 on November 28, 2012, 07:28:15 PM
There is a book that would explain this very well: On Killing. The fact that Americans were more used to death with hunting and slaughtering of animals, could have helped them become better at shooting and killing their enemy.

If you ever get a chance to hear Col. Grossman speak, don't pass it up. Very dynamic speaker.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."