News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How I've used what I've learned so far...

Started by 308LIBERTY, November 04, 2012, 09:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

308LIBERTY

I keep singing the praises of Appleseed everywhere I go. I honestly believe I've learned more in one weekend of Appleseed than I had since I first picked up a .22 rifle at age 7. Some people I talk to seem to think Appleseed is only to teach new people the fundamentals of shooting. I tell them different because I've already seen plenty of people who considered themselves skilled shooters come away from Appleseed a changed person, myself included.

I've also been shooting cowboy-action this year and while it's a lot of fun, it's a good place to pick up a lot of bad habits, especially not following through on your shots. Well, today I had an opportunity to utilize what I'd learned in a 150 yard distance match. At the buzzer I plopped down into a seated position (with a lever action 30-30 using only a tang mounted iron sight!) and nailed the target first shot. I then proceeded to hit it 3 out of 5 shots even though I could only see the top half of the target due to terrain getting in the way. The good news is I won the side match. Of course in my mind I'm still saying a real Rifleman would have hit it all 5 times!

The rest of the day included 6 stages of 4 gun competition with single-action revolvers, lever action rifle and a Winchester 97 shotgun. Even without the shotgun, that's 120 rounds I fired without a counted miss today. The targets are pretty close, but that's the first time I've done that in a match ever and only 3 out of 45 shooters pulled it off. (Also still telling myself a real rifleman would've picked up all the bonus targets too!)

So, the point of this is, no matter how good you think you are, Appleseed will make you better. The fundamentals learned apply not only to rifle shooting, but your pistol and shotgun skills can improve as well by following the 7 steps of making the shot and considering your NPOA even when you only have a second to think about it.

While I still want that patch so bad I can taste it, I truly believe the real reward of Appleseed is simply learning, improving and being able inspire and pass on the legacy of shooting to others. Even if every one of us only manages to pass it on to one other person, we've doubled in potential and I think that's really important in a time when most people never touch a firearm outside a video game.

Dwight (a.k.a. Bandera Bratt)
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

NHale

Dwight,

It was an honor to be shooting next to you, sir. Just wish I didn't shoot your AQT that time. I think you'll nail Rifleman soon because you have the talent and persistence. Like they always say, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. I promise I'll leave your target alone next time out.

-Jim
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

Sly223

You have already gained valuable experience, More time and Perfect practice! ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Johnnyappleseed

Dwight good job on spreading the word on Appleseed  O0
Based on your post you already the have hard part out of the way ,that is having the "heart of a Rifleman" 

Keep up the good work Sir O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge