Author Topic: Real Distance shoot Vale OR.  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
Real Distance shoot Vale OR.
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
April 27- 28, 2013.
Appleseed instruction at ranges from 100 yards to 500 yards, with a liberal chance to learn about the wind's effect on bullet flight.
Vale Or.
Just 60 miles west of Boise ID
The Snake River Sportsman's Association's Vale Range.
What a great location, geographicly it sits in a bowl on a ridge of high ground. This bowl has several ravines leading into it. Question is, which ravine funnels the most wind each time you fire a shot. Only thing for sure is it varies.
This range has a very nice target pit with 10 target carriers, and fireing lines from 100-1000 yards. The plan is to have relays, where shooters will take turns in the pit scoring and marking targets.
There will be a limit of 30 shooters at this event. I urge every instructor who can attend, come shoot.
Paying shooters will get first crack at slots on the line.
There will be NO 82' shooting. The oppertunity to fire at distances 600-1000 yards is possible.
10 dollars per day range fee is incredibly low given the oppertunity here.

paulw

Re: Real Distance shoot Vale OR.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
Excellent!
I have the dates blocked out on my calendar & will watch for the event sign-up.

Thanks.

Offline George Hacker

• Inactive Instructor
  • The instructor formerly known as "ShadowMan"
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »
The dates are marked on my calendar as well.  I will probably pay to make sure that I get a spot on the line.

I have a fever!  And the prescription is... more KD!

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:05:35 AM »
Thirty places on the line, Thirty places on the line...
Two sign up and tweny eight  places left on the line.

Did you want to shoot at Couer d'Alene in November?
Did you hold back to leave room for "paying customers"?
Well I did,..........don't be that guy!

Offline Transform

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 04:50:30 AM »
Twenty seven places.

Offline Pa Rah

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:39:35 PM »
Better make that 24 since I will be going along with my son and another friend.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Ronald Reagan

BEEMER

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »
This sounds like fun, count me in.   23 spots to go.  let me know when its time to sign up...
 I look forward to seeing y'all.
Cheers
John

Offline Countree

• Retired IIT
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »
I found it! I was told about this thread..... and you guys!

I would like to go. It def can't hurt my shooting any. lol I can't imagine how many rounds that I would need to have loaded though. I don't have that much brass unless I go with my .308 hmmmm might have to do that.

It would be nice to be able to register for the 2013 shoots. It is also going to make filling the line for my Jan. 12-13 shoot very difficult. never thought of that before we planned that one.

It would also be really nice to see all of this motley crew again!

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »
Countree,
The round count should be lower than a 82 ft appleseed, we will have pit changes, an have to cover all the instruction twice.
If you are short of brass for .223 maybe I can bring some up in Dec. Or do you only shoot special brass?

Offline Pa Rah

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »
Hey Mark,

I have been giving this shoot some thought. After everyone has learned to overcome and adapt to the wind, found sight settings and of course shot a respectable rifleman score, which couldn't take more than two or three AQT's  ^-^ I'm thinking that maybe we could include a little team building skills along the lines of 5 or 6 man teams, no sighters, stationary targets, moving targets, pop up targets, and not El Cheap O prizes at least once just to break up Sunday a little or maybe if enough people wanted too we could shoot Monday. >:D

So here is the question; Do you leave windage on your sight settings while shooting at moving targets moving with the wind? Against the wind? What if the wind changes direction before you break the shot? I guess we can find out.  :pop:

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 10:47:35 PM »
I'm not smart enough to answer your question on moving targets.
Shot gunners do not adjust their sights.
Olympic class running target shooters do adjust their sights. But they shoot at known distance (10 meters for airgun) and known target speed, Out of the wind indoors.

Offline Countree

• Retired IIT
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »
Mark,

My brass is special alright! Just like me!

I got to thinking about it and I will be fine on .223 that will no longer be an issue.

Thanks for the offer!

I will still take your brass though, if you need me too!  O0

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
I know... NECRO-thread!  I figured since the topic is still relevant and there were more folks posting in this one, there's more potential for dissemination of information, as hopefully email notification is working...

I'll be out at the range Friday morning. 
I'm RV camping.
I'm bringing a BBQ grill and a bunch of meat, enough for everyone (steak, pork country ribs, chicken) from the freezer for Saturday evening... I'm making a couple dutch ovens of spuds.  I have paper plates, utensils, etc covered.  I have a couple of small tables and a couple extra camp chairs.

There's probably no way to get an exact head-count, but Mark says there should be around 20 people present.  If most would like to partake of the picnic, another grill would be helpful, and so would a volunteer or two to run it.  Maybe a few folks can each pick up a can of beans or another side from the store in Vale if desired.

If anyone on here knows of someone going that doesn't read this board, please pass the info along.

Oh yeah, the potato dish will have bacon in it, so if you don't eat meat, well.... bring some tofu or something.   :P
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
--------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure and LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page: 
Northwest Region Project Appleseed
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

Offline Kimber Custom

• Charter Pistol Instructor
  • Retired Senior Instructor
  • Northwest Regional Coordinator (Retired)
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »
That sounds awesome. Should we bring donations to help cover the meat bill?

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »
I'd accept a little help, but I'm not expecting donations, especially from instructors.  You donate plenty of time, miles, and more.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

Offline George Hacker

• Inactive Instructor
  • The instructor formerly known as "ShadowMan"
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
scoob,

Kimber Custom and I will be coming to Nampa, ID in June to run an Appleseed.  Hope to see you there as well.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
Planning on it.  Hoping to get the wife talked into it too.   ;)
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

Offline ID_Hezekiah

• Instructor In Training 3
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »
ID_Hezikiah is IN! Just signed up on eventbrite and looking forward to getting "humbled" with my NM Garand :slap: I will probably drive over on Friday and would gladly help out any way I can when arriving that afternoon, Scoob. The way weather has been the last few weeks, I don't think I'll gamble on primitive camping in the cab of my pickup. I can throw a gas grill in the bed of the truck if it would be useful. Is there any real preference or recommendation on the three Vale hotels?  Thanks.
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
SHOOTERS!! LISTEN UP!!!

IMPORTANT information for the Vale FULL distance shoot.

Bring optics. Ideally an angled eyepeice spotting scope mounted on a rod type stand so you can see through it with out breaking position. You will want to see a 1" color contrasting disc at 400 yards. Binocs will do.

Bring a data or note book and writing instrumnet.

Range avaliable for sighters about 1 o'clock mountian daylight time. Do not expect to get to shoot if you show up at 3 MDT.

Your equipment will need to be moved by you from the 400 yard line to the 100 yard line and back. Do not bring more than you can carry in one trip to the fireing line. Hint, some folks use a cart or wagon.

You are all riflemen, you know what you are about, bring what you need.

We are planning a no host breakfast at the world famous starlight cafe. Located on the west end of beautiful downtown Vale. Saterday and Sunday at 6:30.

All of us are looking forward to seeing everyoneu in Vale and being able to see old freinds, and meet some new ones.

Offline Transform

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »
Better late than never, here is the Vale information that Mark and I have been slowly putting together over the past several weeks:

Riflemen: Come to the Vale, Oregon KD event, April 27-28, 2013

Just across the border from Boise, Idaho, near the small town of Vale, Oregon is a fantastic shooting facility. Underutilized is a description that fits this outstanding range. On the last weekend of April, we invite you to a Real Distance shoot at the Snake River Sportsmen's Association.

To prepare for this advanced Appleseed clinic, make sure that your rifle is lubricated and sighted in. There will be no 25 meter targets, all firing at this shoot will be at 100 yards or more. Some method of recording your sight settings is highly recommended; paper and pencil rank high in simplicity.

It is a safe bet that you will learn some wind doping skills, as conditions on this range can be summed up with "If you don't like the wind, wait a minute and it will change."

The range is set up with an elaborate target line, and several bare-bones firing lines at different distances. Since we must move between the firing lines, everyone's kit should be portable enough to pick up and move in one load. We will move from 100 yards, to 200 yards, to 300 yards, to 400 yards for each AQT.

Lack of ammunition is on everyone's mind these days. The Shoot Boss will be mindful of your supply; 300 rounds should be more than enough ammo for this event. Shooters will work in relays, taking turns in the pit and pulling targets for each other.

Signups for this event are limited to people who have previously earned a Rifleman's patch at another Appleseed. Although many have already signed up for this event, there is still room for a few more Riflemen on the line.

Primitive group camping will be available at the range, but be aware that the range does not allow open fires and has no water supply, so plan to come self-contained.

The Shoot Boss will be Mark Davis. To help ease his workload, please PM any logistical questions about preparing for this event to Transform.

Additional information:

Per the SB, here are some of the topics that will be covered:
Bullet drop for your rifle.
Important variables, such as distance between center of bore and line of sight, bullet weight and shape, actual velocity from your rifle.
Time of flight.
Judging the wind speed and value.
Range estimation.
and many, many more ...

Everyone should bring some sort of optics. First choice would be an angled eyepiece spotting scope with a stand that allows viewing while mantaining prone position. Binoculars will do. (However, a mounted riflescope will NOT do, since it does not pass line safety standards!)

Everyone should bring a small notebook. There are multiple threads on how to set up a Riflemans Databook, but if you don't have time, a small notebook that fits in your pocket will do fine.

A no-host group breakfast is being considered. Info will be posted if a decision is made.

Saturday night dinner is being planned by scoob, with everyone welcome, whether camping or not. (Despite his gracious generosity, please plan to kick in a few bucks per steak, and consider bringing along a side dish.)

Make sure to bring enough drinking water and wash water with you. Stock up in Vale or Ontario. To repeat: no water is available at the range!

You don't need to go to Ontario for food or most other needs. In addition to the Logan's Market grocery store, there are several restaurants in Vale, including:

Sagebrush Saloon & BBQ
541-473-3777
(east side of town, open late, menu focused on beef)

Starlight Cafe
541-473-2500
(west side of town, inexpensive, very complete menu)

Freshway Deli (located inside Farmers Co-op Suppy)
541-473-2412
(east side of town next to the river, freshly made pizza and sandwiches)

Camping is free at the range, but primitive. For local hotels you can try:

Bates Hotel
1101 A St W
541-473-3234
$45 single / $65 double
(Old and run down, but apparently clean and well managed.)

Oregon Trail Inn
484 N 10th St
541-473-3030
$65-$100
(Extremely nice place, but managers not responsive to calls.)

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 12:59:02 AM »
ID_Hezikiah is IN! Just signed up on eventbrite and looking forward to getting "humbled" with my NM Garand :slap: I will probably drive over on Friday and would gladly help out any way I can when arriving that afternoon, Scoob. The way weather has been the last few weeks, I don't think I'll gamble on primitive camping in the cab of my pickup. I can throw a gas grill in the bed of the truck if it would be useful. Is there any real preference or recommendation on the three Vale hotels?  Thanks.
I never stayed at any of them, but the Bates sounds intruiging. Careful in the shower!

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
I can throw a gas grill in the bed of the truck if it would be useful.
I have a feeling it will be very useful.  Thanks!  I'll even have extra propane if you don't want to haul it.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

Offline Transform

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »
Safety first. Considering the vegetation, a couple of buckets of water and some fire extinguishers might be a really good addition to the grilling area.

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
Since that 'incident' back in younger and stoopidder days :-X  I always pack extra jugs of water, and keep fire extinguishers on both the truck and trailer. 
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
Anyone know what the shooting direction is at the range?
Forecast is showing wind 10-20mph @ WSW for Sat.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho

Offline Transform

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
Here's what your Shoot Boss had to say about the wind at Vale:
What a great location, geographicly it sits in a bowl on a ridge of high ground. This bowl has several ravines leading into it. Question is, which ravine funnels the most wind each time you fire a shot. Only thing for sure is it varies.
It is a safe bet that you will learn some wind doping skills, as conditions on this range can be summed up with "If you don't like the wind, wait a minute and it will change."

Offline Mark Davis

• designated Shoot Boss
  • AKA Clodhopper
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 03:41:36 AM »
The range is set up fireing south. Never pulled out compass there, it might be south by southeast.

Offline scoob

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »
Thanks Mark! 

See ya'll in a couple of days!
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho