News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ojai CMP Clinic / Matches / Coaching (this weekend)

Started by gonejohnny, September 25, 2012, 10:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonejohnny

Sunday - Sept 30th, 2012
Ojai Valley Gun Club - CMP Garand Clinic / Matches / Coaching

• 55-Shot Garand "B-Course" during the clinic for the experienced shooters at 7:30AM.
• 35-Shot Garand "A-Course" to follow the clinic.

Main website: http://www.dock.net/ovgc/
Link to flyer for CMP Event: http://www.dock.net/ovgc/OVGC_30_Sep_2012_CMP_CLINIC.pdf

From their mailer:
Next Sunday Ojai Valley Gun Club will host a CMP Clinic -- which is highly recommended for individuals who own a Garand or Springfield rifle, or who are thinking about ordering one from CMP, and/or juniors or novice shooters. The event includes a comprehensive instructional, operational, and safety program followed by a live fire exercise -- namely, the 35-shot JCG-A Course of Fire. PLEASE SIGN UP WITH BLAKE AARON OR TOM TEMPLE FOR THE CMP CLINIC (PER ATTACHED FLYER). Walk-on's will be accomodated to the maximum of 20 participants.

EXTRA - ADD-ON: In the early AM, starting at 7:30, we will host a JC Garand-B Course match (5 sighters, 50 shots for score fired at 200 yards -- slow prone; rapid prone; rapid sitting; offhand). This match is FREE for the CMP line coaches and volunteers, $5 for OVGC Club members, $10 for Guests. Both events are open to the public. The B-Match will finish by 11 AM and the entire CMP program & A Match should finish by ~1:30 PM.

YOU NEED NOT OWN A RIFLE IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CMP CLINIC AND/OR THE JC GARAND B COURSE.  THE CLUB HAS 4 GARAND RIFLES AND A SUPPLY OF 30-06 BALL and 308/7.62 NATO BALL AMMUNITION FOR SALE AT A NOMINAL COST of 75 cents/round ($15/box of 20). Sale is limited to 2 boxes for the A-Course and 3 boxes for the B-Course.

Traditional military rifles (Springfield; M1 Garand; 1917 Enfield; 303 Enfield; Mauser K98) are suitable -- if you have magazines or stripper clips that permit reloading during the 80-second sitting and prone stages.  Scoped or bipod sporting, tactical, or modern sniper rifles are not suitable for these events.

m1jerm

Any hints at when we might see another one of these events in the next few months?
I have a Service Grade M1 that needs to be taken out for a walk and this looks like the place to begin to put it through its paces.

asminuteman

Well they (ojai) do organized National match once a month.
(check their website out for details)

Yo Johnnie,
smallish question
once a month matchs allows for M1a (military style rifle)
noted that it wasn't mentioned in clinic...misprint? forgotten?

good soild folks in Ojai - m1jerm you'd enjoy the match

Camljr does national match at a range, grapevine area.......Castasic side, first exit at the top
I haven't gone with him yet however it sounds like a great deal of fun
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

jmdavis

Quote from: m1jerm on October 23, 2012, 07:56:00 PM
Any hints at when we might see another one of these events in the next few months?
I have a Service Grade M1 that needs to be taken out for a walk and this looks like the place to begin to put it through its paces.

I would suggest having a good 200 yard zero and further running a couple of aqt's before shooting the match.  By good 200 yard zero you should hold 10 ring in prone at 200, that means ~6.5 inch groups. Also, know how to single load for the M1 and make sure that you know how to load two rounds into a clip and have the bolt override the top round.

Good luck.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

m1jerm

That is kind of why I am interested in a "clinic" style day versus a situation where I might be a bothering folks or slowing things down due to lack of knowledge and experience.
The clinic just sounded like a good place to get started.

gonejohnny

Quote from: asminuteman on October 23, 2012, 08:45:03 PM
once a month matchs allows for M1a (military style rifle)
noted that it wasn't mentioned in clinic...misprint? forgotten?

It has been my experience that use of the M1A is neither encouraged or discouraged (but often informally allowed) at most CMP clinics... These events are generally a few hours of classroom, followed by a match (all at 200-yards from prone and standing).

Well they (ojai) do organized National match once a month.
(check their website out for details)

Yes, these matches are traditional "Across the Course" with Standing at Rapid Seated at 200, Rapid Prone at 300 & Slow Prone at 600. You'll need 80-rounds plus 8-sighters for these matches. Not necessarily as laid back or providing as much instruction, but it has been my experience that most ANY match will warmly welcome ANY shooter willing to come out... Shooting ANYTHING (without a scope). A Garand will be competing against M1A / AR-15.

Camljr does national match at a range, grapevine area.......Castasic side, first exit at the top
I haven't gone with him yet however it sounds like a great deal of fun

This is  a phenomenal range that also offers a few more CMP clinics per year that the Ojai Club. Here is a link to their schedule: http://www.brrc.org/matches.html

Quote from: jmdavis on October 23, 2012, 10:16:19 PM
I would suggest having a good 200 yard zero and further running a couple of aqt's before shooting the match.  By good 200 yard zero you should hold 10 ring in prone at 200, that means ~6.5 inch groups. Also, know how to single load for the M1 and make sure that you know how to load two rounds into a clip and have the bolt override the top round.

A zero you may have had a chance to establish at 25-meters will surely translate to getting you on paper at 200 for final tweaks. If not (and in regards to all the rest of this), most CMP Clinics offer ample amounts of time for sighters and will definitely go over instruction on loading (single / 2 w/ bolt-override), etc... 

Quote from: m1jerm on October 24, 2012, 07:18:44 PM
That is kind of why I am interested in a "clinic" style day versus a situation where I might be a bothering folks or slowing things down due to lack of knowledge and experience.
The clinic just sounded like a good place to get started.

A CMP clinic is a great place to start when wanting to "take a Garand out for a walk" also to learn a bit about traditional competitive highpower shooting (scoring / target pulling etc.). They're often great fun, staffed by really cool people, where everyone is going to learn something! Hmm.... Sounds kinda like an APPLESEED!  :)

They are not competitive and most everyone there wants everyone to do well!

m1jerm

Well, I thumbed through the calendar and it looks like they offered the CMP clinic at least 2 times last year. One in April and one in Sept.
Perhaps I can get into the next one next year.
Please let us know if anything happens any sooner, I may yet go out to see what the National shoot is about some time before that.
I will probably work out my 100yd zero at Y2K range at some point before all that. She's just never been shot (by me at least!)