News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Full-Distance ranges in your state?

Started by ItsanSKS, September 12, 2012, 08:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

To all Appleseeders:

Trying to pull together the current Appleseed venues that offer distances in excess of 300 yards.  If your state has one, please respond to this thread with the range name*, maximum distance available, and the number of shooters that it can accommodate at one time. 
*= Please list the range name as it appears on eventbrite

Thank you for your prompt attention,

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Reformed Redneck

We have two ranges where we can do KD.

Fernan Rod and Gun Club, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho: capacity 9

Lewis Clark Wildlife Range, Lewiston, Idaho: capacity 10

Both of these ranges can make it to 400 yards. Both have limited space at the target line.
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

ItsanSKS

Got them both added to the list, thanks!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

scoob

Boise area:

Nampa Rod and Gun Club has a general rifle range out to 550 yds, and a dedicated CMP/High Power range out to 600yds with raised firing positions.  Not sure of the capacity, but I bet someone who knows will be at this weekends' shoot.  BOD members can be contacted <HERE>.  I'd contact Scott Garrigus, the club pres, or Jeff Collins, Ordinance Officer.  A description of the range can be found on the RULES PAGE.
Edit: The CMP range has no 100 yd firing line.  The 100 - 300 yd rifle line has about 4-6 concrete benches per 'lane'.

Parma Rod and Gun Club, I believe, has a full covered line for out to 800 yds.  (1000 if they close that part of the range)

ETA:  I'm headed out to a MILE shoot at Parma this weekend!  I don't know how they do it, but they can get a mile.
Mike 'scoob' Underwood
Boise, Idaho
--------------------------------------------------------------
Be sure and LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page: 
Northwest Region Project Appleseed
--------------------------------------------------------------
During the whole affair, the rebels attacked us in a very scattered, irregular manner, but with perseverance and resolution, nor did they ever dare to form into a regular body. Indeed they knew too well what was proper, to do so. Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..."Gen. Hugh, Earl Percy

Stuart McKim

Cedar Hills Gun Club, Blackfoot, ID
500m (berms at 200m, 300m, 382m, 500m)
Number of shooters: 20 (based on 70' firing line), but the 200m berm is only 45' wide. The other berms are 75' wide. How is this calculated? I can get the firing line length next time I'm down there (which likely won't be too long).

Unified Sportsman's Club, Rexburg, ID
100yd - 1000yd in 100yd increments
Number of shooters: 10 (based on number of target frames in the pit)
This one will probably take extra coordination with the club due to using a pit instead of just berms.

Updated with number of shooters.
"Good positions mean good scores. Poor positions mean poor scores. It's as easy as that." - Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle (1943)

ItsanSKS

To get a rough estimate of how many shooters will fit the firing line, divide it by 3.5 feet. 

Stuart McKim

OK, I've updated the Cedar Hills and Unified Sportsman's Club entries to include the number of shooters that will fit on the line.
"Good positions mean good scores. Poor positions mean poor scores. It's as easy as that." - Rifle Marksmanship with the M1 Rifle (1943)

ItsanSKS

Two options with pits:

Run the target frames up, go back to firing line and shoot, then go back downrange to inspect/mark/change targets.  Basically run it as if you were using a berm.

Or, if you have the personnel available, have a pit crew that can radio the scores/corrections and change targets.

Option one takes less people, but uses more time.  Option two takes more people, and requires a lot of coordination between the firing line and the pits, but tends to run faster, allowing more time for instruction and or shooting. 

I personally prefer option one, as relatively new shooters *need* to see their targets, and have time to evaluate them.   Also, running the pits is labor intensive, and requires a skilled team to run them efficiently- a poorly run pit can spell disaster for an event.

If you can get a KD event set up at Rexburg, and choose to operate the pits as pits, I would suggest taking the instructors to the range for a weekend to learn how to operate them, and to practice the coordination aspect.  If you choose to go this route, PM yellowhousejake, SPQR and or hawkhavn, as they have experience running pits for Appleseed events.  (we run pits a bit differently than what NRA/CMP competitions do, so if the range is going to provide some assistance in manning the pits, make sure *everyone* is on the same page prior to the event)

malabar

Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club in Palm Bay, FL,  has the state's only NRA-certified 600-yard range, complete with pits and rising targets.  The facility has 20 shooting positions, and a covered firing line complete with astroturf.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Stuart McKim

Quote from: malabar on August 17, 2013, 10:02:51 AM
Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club in Palm Bay, FL,  has the state's only NRA-certified 600-yard range, complete with pits and rising targets.  The facility has 20 shooting positions, and a covered firing line complete with astroturf.

It looks like one of these threads was not created in the Florida board (based on my searches). I've started one here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=37133.0. Could you please add your information there (mostly to keep it organized)?