News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Full-Distance ranges in your state?

Started by ItsanSKS, September 12, 2012, 08:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

To all Appleseeders:

Trying to pull together the current Appleseed venues that offer distances in excess of 300 yards.  If your state has one, please respond to this thread with the range name*, maximum distance available, and the number of shooters that it can accommodate at one time. 
*= Please list the range name as it appears on eventbrite

Thank you for your prompt attention,

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Nero

In Northern/Central Cal:

Hat Creek - 400 yards
Red Bluff - 400 yards

San Jose is 200 yards
Eureka, Castro Valley, Sacramento all 25m
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

ItsanSKS

Nero-

If you can find out, we need to know how many people Hat Creek and Red Bluff will handle on the 400yd line. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

eaglescouter

Red Bluff KD capacity 28 plus overflow if necessary.  Max distance:  1,000 yards
Hat Creek KD capacity 30  Max distance 730 yards.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

ItsanSKS

eaglescouter

I updated the actual available distances for Red Bluff and Hat Creek above.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

woburn210

The range in Ridgecrest CA goes out to 600 yards.  Been there twice, not my home range but can get more info if needed.  Guns 4 US in Ridgecrest would have the most info.  I will be in the area mid November.

ItsanSKS

Do we currently hold events at the Ridgecrest facility?

Nero

Quote from: ItsanSKS on September 13, 2012, 05:49:53 AM
Do we currently hold events at the Ridgecrest facility?

The last one there was October, 2011.

I'm pretty sure Piru is full distance, but that's based on tales told over instructor dinners.  No idea of line capacity.

Any of you SoCal guys awake?
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

SoulMan

I definitely know the Angeles Range goes out to 600 yds because Francis Marion got me ringing steel at that distance there on my first Appleseed. If memory serves there's room for about 2 dozen on the line, maybe more. There's also separate pistol and shotgun ranges.

South Bay Rod & Gun Club main range goes out to 300. It's in Dulzura, so close to the border your cell phone roams in Mexico when the wind changes direction.

Burro Canyon in Azusa goes out to 210 yds.

Pala goes out to 887 but I've never been there.

PsychDoc shoots at a longer distance range just about every weekend, but I don't recall the name.
The 1st and 2nd Amendments capture the spirit of the Constitution; the 9th and 10th, its soul.

woburn210

Not sure about events at ridgecrest.  I remember about April or so I was planning to go as I saw one on a schedule.  By the time April came around the event was off the calendar.  It's a nice range, out in the desert.

Psych Doc

My home range is High Desert Rod and Gun Club in Yucca Valley. Unfortunately, only 300 yds and not an AS venue at this point, but, a great range. Good folks, covered line and swinging steel!

Long distance list in Socal should include Piru, the crew from there can fill in the specifics, but we have access to 1000 yd range w/ fabulous assortment of steel, though not directly on the DAR.

Rocket Man

Quote from: SoulMan on September 14, 2012, 01:26:39 AM
I definitely know the Angeles Range goes out to 600 yds because Francis Marion got me ringing steel at that distance there on my first Appleseed. If memory serves there's room for about 2 dozen on the line, maybe more. There's also separate pistol and shotgun ranges.

The public rifle line at Angeles has a few pieces of steel out to 800, however we're unlikely to be able to schedule an event on that line.  The typical Appleseed bay is only 50m.  There may be a way to finagle overlapping fire onto the public line at great distance, but safety will be a challenge.  Johnny Appleseed would know if this is feasible.

QuoteBurro Canyon in Azusa goes out to 210 yds.

Again, the public rifle line does, probably not accessible.  None of the reserved bays at Burro are over 100 m. 

West End Gun Club can also be configured for long range, but it's tricky.  rrhartley is our current contact there.

Anyway, Piru is definitely the choice for > 300m events in/around Los Angeles.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

ItsanSKS

Just to recap what I've got so far:

Range name | Shooter Capacity (at distance) |  Max distance
Hat Creek     |           28                                   |         730
Red Bluff       |            30                                  |        1000
Piru               |              ?                                  |            ?

Please add the information (shooter cap & distance) for Piru, and any other venue at which we already hold events.  If you know of a range that we could use, but aren't using yet, please send that information to Bob 210, so we can get it done! 

m1jerm

Well, according to recent posts, it looks like Piru might be able to go out to 1000yds. At least that is what they are claiming will be done next Monday.

I do not have empirical knowledge of that range existing at Piru. I was there  a week back, but where we were, it looked like about 100 yds uphill was about the most that particular range could handle.

However, this latest shoot says they will push out to 1000 by Monday.

Camljr

we do not have access to the main public range at Piru on the weekends...

But the public range has steel out to 800 and a 36" steel plate on top of the mountain at 1,000 yds. Hard to shoot in prone... angle of fire is 30+ degrees...

Our DAR range at Piru is good to 25 meters only.

Monday, we have special permission to use the main public range, because it will be closed to the public. The range owner allows us to use the main range on Memorial day, and Veterans day only.

Both fall on Monday.... We have a yearly Instructor KD shoot on those days to hone our KD instruction and shooting qualifications.

This shoot has been opened up, on an experimental basis, to Attendees of the 2 prior days of an Appleseed, and have had to shoot rifleman to qualify to shoot on Monday at full distance.

Some Instructors will probably not get to shoot if attendance is full, but that is OK with me if we get new riflemen qualified at full distance...

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

m1jerm

Sounds great, and I want to attend, but I have a hitch. I would ask this in the main post for the Men ONly shoot, but its locked.

I can't attend Saturday, but would be able to do Sunday and Monday. I have qualified as rifleman previously, so would it be possible to do the Sunday and then the Monday shoot? (Without having attended the Saturday that is.)

Camljr

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt