News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD / Veteran Appleseeder only shoot at San Jose, Sept. 29-30

Started by Nero, July 29, 2012, 04:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

At long last we are opening a new Appleseed venue in the Bay Area, and our first event there will be a special one! On September 29-30th, we will have the inaugural shoot at the Field Sports Park 'Metcalf' Range just south of San Jose, on their 200 yard match range.

This will be our first chance for a longer distance Appleseed shoot in the Bay Area. As a 'thank you' to our previous shooters, we are going to make this first shoot a special event reserved for Appleseed veterans only, who are looking for a chance to try an AQT at distance and/or doing some serious 'grinding' on their scores. (And you will also be helping us debug our range setup and instructional program for this new range.)

The information page for the shoot is here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=30710.0

and the signup page is here: https://www.eventbrite.com/event/3969747622

Here's what to expect:

At this shoot, Saturday will be more like the usual Appleseed Sunday, with review (only) of Steady Hold Factors, 6 steps, transitions, etc. Probably a couple of AQTs at 25 meters, then break for an instructional unit on ballistics and 'known distance' shooting. Then we continue with a 25m AQT grind, but rotate those who want to shoot out to 200 yards onto another section of the line to get their 75, 100 and 200 yard zeroes.

On Sunday, we will have 25 meter and 'known distance' AQT lines running side-by-side for the day. If you're going for your Rifleman score at 25m, you'll likely have more chances than you have ammo or energy! It's probable that the long distance shooters will need to shoot relays, alternating shooters in the available slots. (You might be able to get a 22LR out to 200 yards with high velocity ammo and if the winds are light, but generally you're going to want a centerfire if you want to try the distance shoot.)

Note the different hours at this shoot: We start promptly at 8:00 AM and must be off the range by 4:00 PM both days. We will be asking shooters to help us set up and tear down to make this schedule and let us get in plenty of practice and shooting for score.

Hope to see you there!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

John C

Nero;

I just want to let you know that I'm real excited about this shoot.  Although I've been to two Appleseeds, I've never been to Sunday, only Saturday classes. 

Since I've already shot rifleman with a scoped 10/22, I'm looking forward to the "AQT grind" to focus on new rifles to shoot.  I've got a .22LR bolt action rifle with iron sights.  My goal is to shoot rifleman with this at 25m.  My second goal is to shoot rifleman out to 200m with a .223 that I'm bringing.  I am keenly interested in the long range instruction.

I've been to one of your shoots, at Castro Valley back in June.  You did a great job!  I'm looking forward to your good work on this one.

Thanks!