News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Moving to ID next month; I have questions

Started by MaKettle v2.0, July 11, 2012, 06:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaKettle v2.0

Hello Appleseeders,

I attended an Appleseed in San Diego, planning on attending another before we move next month, and then another in Nampa -- I'm hooked.  I'm also new, and would love to earn Rifleman status.  But first...

I need to transport my rifle and my ammo from So California to Boise.  It's overwhelming to move, so I am appreciative of any help and tips you're willing to give.

- looking for laws/regs, traveling through Nevada or Utah
- tips on storing/transporting by car; moving company won't take ammo, and I don't want to entrust them with my rifle of course
- what's the safest, easiest traveling route; please share your experience(s) transporting

Thank you much!
Sheila

LayloPro

Hey Sheila,

Looks like a good move.....as a "dual resident" currently (SoCal & NoNeva), I've run into a few different "opinions" from some law enforcement folks as to what is legal where.... :shootself:
In the case of your rifle & ammo, here are some excerpts from various website info.....

Nevada:
Transportation of Firearms
     If an individual is not hunting, loaded firearms may be carried in a vehicle.  During hunting, all firearms must be entirely unloaded before being placed in the vehicle (not after!). Handguns must not be concealed on a person in a vehicle unless that person holds a CCW permit issued in Nevada.  Handguns must not be concealed on or by a person's body unless that person holds a CCW permit issued in Nevada.  This is true while driving, also.

http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html

Idaho:
Federal Law on Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Code of Federal Regulations
Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
§ 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

That being said, I would suggest as a nice scenic tour type drive to go on the 15 North (assuming you are starting from San Diego, or somewhere on that side) to 395 North (just after cresting the Cajon Pass towards Las Vegas). Continue on thru to Reno, and either head East on 80 to 95North out of Winnemucca to Boise.....
Or, you could stay on 395North thru Alturas to the 20East towards Payette/Caldwell & drop down into Boise....Kind of depends on where you want to end up..... ^-^
Hope all works out for you, and all the standard "rules" apply...."out of sight, out of mind"....If a thief can't see it, they won't know to steal it.....Ammo boxes can be stacked deep & buried under lots of clothes, so as to be "unseen"....same with your rifle in it's case...... @@)

Have a good one, and drive carefully thru Mono County in North Cali....the CHP there are a "sole income source" for their "law enforcement system"....
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Reformed Redneck

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

MaKettle v2.0

Thank you both for responding!  I will take your advice while traveling, and check the website link for up-to-date info.

Appreciate it,
Sheila

Sly223

I am pretty sure you can ship them to yourself just before you leave so you will be on the receiving End!
I would stick with Lay lo pro's advice I believe he is a LEO out that way!

BTW,Lay lo pro are you kin to Speed bump?
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Pro Libertate

Wish I could be more help regarding your questions, but I just wanted to congratulate you guys on your decision to move to the great State of Idaho!  I moved up here with my parents and older brother about fourteen years ago, and I absolutely love it-- you couldn't drag me back to California with a team of wild horses!  I'm confident that you've made the right decision for you and your family.  Best of luck to you!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  -President Ronald Wilson Reagan