News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NEEDED - helpful info on interstate transport of my firearm & ammo

Started by MaKettle v2.0, July 11, 2012, 06:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaKettle v2.0

Hi All,

Is there a handy link for this kind of info, or could someone please help me in finding out where to start?  I'm moving from San Diego to Boise, ID next month and have not much clue about transporting laws and regulation since this is my first rifle and first time moving anywhere from SoCal.

I have 3 choices of driving route: 15N/93 (thru Las Vegas), 95N (thru W. NV), or 15N (thru Utah).  Anyone traveled these routes?  Which is safest, easiest or both, especially w/a firearm.

Any help would be appreciated,

Sheila
Sheila

George Hacker

Sheila,

Here is what the Feds have to say about the matter:

QuoteQ: May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods?

A: Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

Source: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#relocating-firearms

Probably the most restrictive state in the bunch mentioned is the one you are coming from.  Best wishes for a safe move and welcome to the NW Region (https://www.facebook.com/NorthwestRegionProjectAppleseed).

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

techres

You are moving them in your own vehicle, right?

Then put them in your car and go.

Ammo in one locked container and the firearms in the other locked container should be all you need for the federal coverage of transport.

In many states that is overkill, but if it is not a burden, should add to your protection.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Pitmaster

My first response is always obey traffic laws, drive prudently, and defensively with firearms locked up in separate containers.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Roland

I could have sworn there was about  a two page thread on that very topic in this very forum not too long ago. Anybody else remember that?

Also, welcome to a free state! If you ever get up north, we have Appleseeds in Coeur d Alene (my home range) just about every month, and we always look for more shooters and instructors.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

asminuteman

As a Californian, may offer words of wisdom?.....

you will be fine, I drive with a firearm(s) daily, short distance's and 8+hr trekks, regularly.

as said above:
-Firearm(s) in a seperate (should be locked) case.
-Ammo in a seperate and locked case.
-neither Ammo nor Firearm should be easily accessable to the driver.

plus this tid bit
-Mag's EMPTY and seperate from everything else

as lame as it sounds,  a "prep'd" mag is considered a LOADED firearm in California....
just a thought to ponder...

enjoy your trip, please continue to bail,
above all else........RELAX
be safe
-k
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Ratchett

Yes, there was--- had a lot of good info. Do not remember the thread title .... ???

Quote from: Roland on July 11, 2012, 10:02:59 PM
I could have sworn there was about  a two page thread on that very topic in this very forum not too long ago. Anybody else remember that?

Roland
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

asminuteman

Also, welcome to a free state! If you ever get up north, we have Appleseeds in Coeur d Alene (my home range) just about every month, and we always look for more shooters and instructors.

Roland

should check the "CalGuns" site! *They WILL have the DEFINATIVE answer! plus a lawyer
or PM "pennysdad"....Socal Director Calguns
or Rocketman  helps with the appleseed thread CalGuns

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

SSG Platz

USA conceal carry has a lot of good info state by state about transportation of firearms also has maps and will help you plan the best routes.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

asminuteman

ya know once you cross the border into ANY other state you are a free man and no longer a felon **) ^:)^ ^-^

Ratchett

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Gun-Stuff-Mall#travel

This is a great travel guide written by a lawyer who is firearms savvy. I keep one in my vehicle where ever I travel.

You could also check out the federal firearms law---pretty much states that if you are traveling to a destination state that has a gun friendly policy and your unloaded firearms are cased, ammo cased in separate container and secured in trunk or rear of vehicle you are safe to transport through another state. This is a very loose paraphrase of the fed law.

Safe travels during move and congratulations  :)

In His grip,
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

SSG Platz

Quote from: asminuteman on July 12, 2012, 12:15:34 AM
ya know once you cross the border into ANY other state you are a free man and no longer a felon **) ^:)^ ^-^

Any other state but New Jersey, or NYC!

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

asminuteman

Quote from: SSG Platz on July 12, 2012, 08:52:40 AM
Quote from: asminuteman on July 12, 2012, 12:15:34 AM

Any other state but New Jersey, or NYC!

~PlatzOut~

*Laughing*
Gawd help us if we were to ever be a border state to New Jersey or New York!

SSG Platz

Can't happen, we have to keep the Commies split up, that's the only reason why we have the states of NJ CA and IL some of them some how snuck into NY state, and but they contained them south of the mountain and that's how we ended up with NYC   (hope you all enjoyed Sarge's version of how the got their shapes)

~PlatzOut~

GEmanuel

Roland
You are correct. The shooter was traveling from Northern New England through Philadelphia and to Washington DC. As the Eastern portion of the country has more states with restrictive laws and they are highly concentrated he was pretty well advised to leave his firearms at home.
MaKettle on the otherhand is traveling to actually change  residence. As long as the firearms are separate from the ammo, and both are in locked separate cases,  there should no problem.
Good luck, and don't forget, "Appleseed is everywhere you will be!"
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine