News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Company, check in!

Started by didactic, June 21, 2008, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooch

I'll be helping metalbot with the Corpus Christi inaugural AS April 18th & 19th.

Working on a friend .... may have another new recruit.

gooch
"All it takes for tyranny to prosper is for good men to do nothing."  Gooches Version

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.
To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."
SUN-TZU

big 54r

Quote from: CaptG on March 27, 2009, 12:42:05 AM
Who's in for College Station Apr18,19? I'll be there with at least 1 new recruit.
G

I'll be there and it will be my 1st time at an appleseed after trying/waiting all these years for it to get close to Houston!

So College Station/Cawthorn is close enough!

I'm a noob here, just got signed up yesterday and approved today. :) ;)

I'll be using an AR15 with a 22lr conversion,I'll be bringing my wife but she has never shot a rifle before, but is good with a handgun, she'll be using a 10/22 with a newly acquired tech-sight, but gotta get her a cpl mor mags somehow! I'm gonna try and get her to the range for a crash course in rifle shooting so she will be comfortable with the 10/22.
There will be a big group of us coming but i'm the only one pre-registered unfortunately, and I can't seem to talk the others into pre-registering. >:(
Also would it be alright to use a high point 9mm carbine at the shoot, it has peep sights, our group is having a hard time getting enough guns for everybody?

Has anyone here been to Cawthorn cartridge club before?
I need to know the best route to get there coming from the Houston metro area (Galveston to be exact!).
Also what is the closest hotel/motel to the range?
I need a physical address so I can use yahoo/google maps to find the closest hotels/motels to stay at if none of you guy's/gals have any recommendations?

I'm glad to be here and so excited to finally be going to an appleseed shoot god willing everything stay's the same!

BIGS

CaptG

Big54r,
Directions: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6056.0
You might PM Steve - mrt53 - if you need more info. He's the one to thank for the range.
I'll have a couple extra 10/22 mags if you're hurting.

look forward to seeing you there.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

big 54r

well know one has responded with any advice regarding hotels/motels for the April 18/19 AS shoot in Millican.
It seems the hotels/motels are all booked for the weekend, what is going on that weekend to make it so?

I need help from someone who knows this area soI can find lodging for the weekend, I have know camping equipment so no hotel/motel would be a bummer and likely make me cancel and lose my preregistration fee of $70!

I've been waiting and wanting for the appleseed to get close to Houston so I could take it and would be sorely disappointed if I had to cancel!

HELP!

scuzzy

Quote from: big 54r on April 11, 2009, 07:00:41 PM
well know one has responded with any advice regarding hotels/motels for the April 18/19 AS shoot in Millican.
It seems the hotels/motels are all booked for the weekend, what is going on that weekend to make it so?

I need help from someone who knows this area soI can find lodging for the weekend, I have know camping equipment so no hotel/motel would be a bummer and likely make me cancel and lose my preregistration fee of $70!

I've been waiting and wanting for the appleseed to get close to Houston so I could take it and would be sorely disappointed if I had to cancel!

HELP!

Have you tried either Bryan, TX or Brenham, TX? They are about 20-25 miles away.

Or else buy a cheap tent? Probably wouldn't be much more than a hotel room, if that.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

big 54r

Quote from: scuzzy on April 11, 2009, 07:21:54 PM
Have you tried either Bryan, TX or Brenham, TX? They are about 20-25 miles away.
Or else buy a cheap tent? Probably wouldn't be much more than a hotel room, if that.
[/quote]

If I where coming alone that would be easy but my wife is coming and she is getting over a serious medical condition so she won't be roughing it at all.
I wouldn't put her through that after her ordeal, I am just happy she feels up to coming at all!

Stimey

Here's the deal........

For hotels, you have Navasota about 20 miles away and Bryan/College Station at about the same.  Brenham is a bit farther.  I live in College Station and it takes me about 20 minutes to drive to the DAR (Designated Appleseed Range) south of Millican.  I would recommend the Mariott in College Station or the Hampton Inn in College Station, since I know those places myself. 

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cllcy-courtyard-bryan-college-station/
http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=CR02U4SLAN5KSCSGBI1MVCQ?ctyhocn=CLLTXHX

Either would be comfortable enough to accomodate any special medical considerations your wife might require.  Good beds!  Also, both are on Highway 6, which is the quickest way to get there. 

Other than these cities, there are no hotels that I am aware of close to the range.

Stimey
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

big 54r

GOT ONE!

thanx guy's for your replies and advice.
I finally found a hotel in Navasota right off hwy 6, it was the last room they had too!! <:) ;)

I asked the reservation clerk why all the hotels/motels in CS, Navasota and Brenham where full and she told me that this weekend, aside from being an Appleseed event, is also the weekend of the Texas A&M parents visit  weekend event so it'll be fully loaded in all surrounding cities!!

I was wondering what was up, anyway I got a room reserved so i'll be there with my BIL and wife, if she is still feeling better.

thanx guy's.

Eleanor of AQT

We drove up from Houston each day as it is only a 70 mile drive. 

The range is very nice and you are in for a treat.  Just realize that the only amenities are port-a-potties.  There is little shade so be prepared for sunshine.  If anyone has a shade pavilion, it would be a great thing to share.  Bring plenty of water, a lunch and quick snacks for energy.  Parking is right next to the line but the johns are a bit of a hike!  I hear the on-site camping is nice.  Check out Respiratory Pop's AAR of the March shoot - he has photos up.

Sure wish I could be out there with y'all!

EoAQT
Davilla 1108

POP

Eleanor  &)  but, at least there were three port o cans.

I sure thought you and Sim would be there in CLL.  If you really miss the AS range you could mosey down to Corpus.  It is slightly more than 70 miles  ^-^ but, certainly worth it.  And, you could bring the little ones.  Roman could shoot and Mrs. POP said she would watch the three littlest. 

Range owner Steve says they are located in some kind of vacuum between College Station and Navasota that just sucks the cooler air in all the time.  So, when everyone else is HOT the College Station DAR is always comfortable ... there's that 'C' word again!

Roman is on course to be Appleseed's youngest Red Hat.   O0 Keep bringing him.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

2336 checking in!

Attended the shoot at the Ft. Bliss rod & Gun club 18-19 April.  I'll be attending the May 16-17 shoot at the same place.  Last time tried qualifying with a temperamental FAL, will bring an AR-15 and possibly a .22, this time. O0
"To err is human, to forgive divine.  Neither of which is Marine Corps policy!"

big 54r

nice to have you here 2336 and good luck at the next AS.

I hope to make the next CS or possibly Davilla if i'm not working nights and weekends when it rolls around.

I'll still be using my Ruger 10/22 LTR for the next couple of AS shoots I attend until I get much better on all the positions and the 6 steps.

Scout

Hope to see both of you guys soon and I want to tell you how much I appreciate you guys understanding how important our mission is here.  ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Grizzled one

Grizzled one here...
I help with AS shoots and with publicity. 
I live in El Paso which is considered a part of Texas 'cept when you are in Austin.

Westex has set up Appleseeds at two really nice ranges.  El Paso Community College and Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club.  We have at least one AS a month.  Now to populate them. 
john

vic303

Vic303 here.
Collin Co, and hope to do my first AS in June, or  this fall depending on the forecast.  I have the $ set aside and a guarantee of some family time off.

riderclimber

vic303, good to have you in the neighborhood!  I'm in Plano and went to my first AS last month up at the Grandfield, OK site.  I'll be doing my next one in June or the fall as well.  Still looking for a good place to practice, and trying to get my LTR put together.  Good luck on your first AS!

-brian

vic303

Thanks, rider.  My problem with an LTR is I don't have the tech sights for it currently, and I absolutely HATE the stock sights.  My 77/22 is better set up for shooting currently though the range instructors are suggesting I bring something else.  It's just the high cost of ammo limits how much I am willing to shoot the centerfires I have.

Geddys Uncle

Geddy's Uncle, here, "out on the eddddgggge of Texas!" in Corpus Christi
Cain was a proponent of club control. Abel was not available for comment.

Corpus Christi 5-16

Texas Rifleman

Texas Rifleman  -  Here

DFW

Last Event - Davilla 5/16-5/17
Next Event - Davilla  - June / 09
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

fuzzysnout

Fuzzysnout from Bandera.

Spent Friday night in Davilla in May, got weathered out on Saturday.
I'll be back in June to try again.

PJEVANS

PJ  @&) Evans checking in!  Texas Foreign Legion from Oklahoma on TDY at Waikiki Beach, Hawaii, can't seem to find
this weekends AS....must have got the date wrong!
Looks like Oldgrunt has us another Ok Range, so some of you Texas Crew might need to make the trip up to TulsaTown!
Details to follow....
Phil Evans
'Loud noises do not usually stop a gun fight,
     Well placed hits do'

ItsMichelleNotMichael

I've been to both the April 18-19, and May 30-31 shoots near Navasota. The April left me grinning and waterlogged. This past weekend's shoot left me with sore shoulders and a sunburned face but most definitely a better score.....even if I'm still no where near Rifleman status. I'm gonna get there.

Thanks so much, Scout, Top and Matt (April session), and Mark & Joe (May session) for all you did.

Jeffersonian

Jeffersonian getting his late word in.
Last shoot: April 18th and 19th  Been knee deep in the 6th step(as Pop so articulately put it  ;) ) of being Riflemen down here in the deep valley.  The wife is running for city council.  Hoping to sneak her in there during this special election.

Scout, I hope you are doing well.  I heard about the cow wrestling. :P     Prayers are with you Sir.

Hope to make it to a Davilla shoot ASAP.

What is being done here has never been more necessary than RIGHT NOW.

Been spreading the word at local gun ranges, gun shows(when they make it down here) gun shops, and local political events with like minded patriots.

See yall on the line....when we can.

Thank you POP...for everything.
-Jeffersonian
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

POP

That's the 7th Step Mr. J.
And, you and Keren are 7th Steppin' in Mission, Texas.
We'll be down to help campaign prior to the election Aug 22.
The rest of you Appleseeders, Say a prayer a day for Keren.
Can you imagine having an Appleseeder on the City Council in a City the Size of Mission, ~50,000 in the heart of the Rio Grande Valley.

GO KEREN  :~
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

natlmatch

Howdy All,

I've been attending AS's in Davilla since Nov 07 and Millican since the March inaugural event. I try to drag at least one person, usually [edited] with some doubt about how much they'll learn   &)   but by the time to go home, they have a real sense of accomplishment and they're glad they came.
Cya at Cawthorn on Nov 7th and 8th '09

Regards,

NM

blackbeard

Hi folks - another Bastropian joining the ranks.  Just attended my first event in Millican (College Station) this past weekend.  Great time, fantastic instructors, learned a lot, looking forward to getting more involved.

Scout

Welcome Blacksmith, we are glad to have you. What did you think about Steve's range? He did a great job setting it up and if we can get some grass to grow on his firing line (and mine too), we will be in even better shape ;) 

Are you close to Millican? If you wouldn't mind sending me your contact info by PM I would love to put you on our email list for upcoming events and get togethers. We would like to get the Texas group worked into a tight band of men who are willing to help each other and the nation.

We will be having an RBC here in Davilla starting the 8th of Nov. with an Appleseed on the 14-15. I welcome you to attend this event also and become a member of the Davilla Tx. family. This event will be the graduation event for the men attending the Rifleman Boot Camp. The attendees will be the instructors for the event and we like to have a good group for them to work with.

National Match, I am always glad to see you and whoever you drag out when you show up, I hope I see you in November ;)

BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

phil_in_cs

Hello! I shot the Appleseed in Millican/College Station this weekend, and qualified as Rifleman using a rifle borrowed from SNAITF after the safety on my 10/22 decided it didn't want to disengage any longer. Thanks also to Sleepy Joe who also instructed.

I'll be back at the next one here with as many friends as I can find to bring.

The_VIKING

VIKING chkg in!!

Rockwall County - see there's several N. Texans around!

Attended my 1st AS shoot event in College Station/Millican this past w/e 11/7 & 8.
Didn't make Rifleman, THIS TIME...but thnx to the instruction from sleepy Joe & SNAITF, I'm gonna get that patch REAL soon!

Looking forward to attending my next shoot just ASAP!
It's awesome to see & read about people who have the same fire & interest in learning more about being qualified Riflemen, learning about the history of our great nation, what it took to get these freedoms that we enjoy so much & joining efforts to continue the fight to keep these freedoms!  Looking forward to bringing in more recruits & teaching others about how to be a Rifleman!

:~ :~ :~
"Remember one thing, your government needs you more than you need your government."
USAF '87-'93 Ground Rat
Remover of the Berlin Wall

starfox

Starfox here.  Otherwise known as Andrew.  Made Rifleman at the November Davilla shoot.  Been to the August, Sept, and November shoots at Davilla.  Hope to make a lot more in both Davilla and Austin; time and bank account willing.  I'm the hubby and tag-a-long to DoubleLL.  We both are looking at becoming instructors at some point, with her leading the way.

Thanks to a ton of other Texans that have made the Texas shoots alot of fun and enjoyment (Scout, metalbot, Eva n' Kevin, Pop, Will, Brett, and others).
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10