News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Rice Lake, WI June 9-10, 2012

Started by zamboni_driver, June 09, 2012, 08:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamboni_driver

It was HOT on day one at the Blue Hills sportsmen club in Rice Lake, WI, 90+ degrees with an occasional light wind to keep the mosquitoes away.

We had four shooters show up and join us on this hot day.  Two youth shooters, one new shooter and a returning rifleman.  It was a productive day.  Dan re-qualified as a rifleman and Don earned his first time patch.  Our two younger shooters are shooting good groups and scores will shoot up during tomorrows AQT grind.

Rice Lake Appleseed - 6/9/12 by zamboni_driver, on Flickr

zamboni_driver

Day Two - Another 90+ degrees day.  All four shooters from yesterday returned and we picked up two more shooters, one was returning riflewoman Machelle from last weeks shoot in Colfax and we convinced Jeff, the parent of our two youth shooters, to join us on the line.  Jeff was a quick study and earned his patch today.  Our two returning riflemen from yesterday decided to try out some different rifles.  Dan (who earned a Camp  Perry medal last year) brought his M1 garand, a wonderful thing to see on the line.  Don brought a pair of AR and a bolt action .22 and shot all three.

Pictures!!

Rice Lake Appleseed - Day Two by zamboni_driver, on Flickr

zamboni_driver

Many thanks to the Blue Hills Sportsmen Club and our range host Dan.  This is a wonderful range and the covered shooting bench provide a great place to cool off, eat lunch and learn some history.  Also thanks to Alice (BrassBucket) for crossing the border from Minnesota to join Taylor and myself at this shoot.  Hope to see you again on the trail.

Taylor

My heartfelt and sincerest thanks and personal appreciation for the time I spent this weekend with some REAL AMERICANS. Students: Don, Dan, Cole, Will, Jeff and Machelle along with our dedicated RHs BrassBucket and zamboni_driver. You guys are THE BEST.

Congratulations to our new Riflemen Don @ 214, Jeff @ 218 and Dan ( our Camp Perry Ambasador going for his next medal) requalifying @ 215.

Cole and Will...persist, focus on that journey to Rifleman and you can make it. I have no doubt.

Machelle..,somewhere in some Shoot Boss's kit there is a Gold Requal Patch waiting for you.

Everyone, thank you again for making our second Blue Hills Sportsmans Club Appleseed a success.

Please return to another of our upcoming NW WI Appleseeds and bring some friends.

Thank you, Taylor,  aka Mike

Pictures following...

Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Taylor

More pics...
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

-Joseph Addison

Taylor

More pics...

-Albert Einstein

-Joseph Addison

RustyRed

Well done my friends- Tylor,ZD,BrassBucket great job!!

Sly223

Excuse My ignorance, But what is that Pink Target?
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

martin

I see alot of old friends at this shoot. Looks like everyone had a great time.
Martin

Now the Lord is that Spirit:and where the Spirit of the Lord is,there is liberty. 2Corinthians 3:17

Seek the Truth

"We in America do not have a government by the majority-we have a government by the majority who participate....All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
-Thomas Jefferson

Taylor

It's the TV on a couch target we used in our fun shoot.

-Albert Einstein

-Joseph Addison

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

colycat

I could not help but notice that there were some pics of shooters using the United States Rifle 30 caliber.

Whats the story on that?
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

MaverickAR6

Quote from: colycat on June 11, 2012, 11:33:14 PM
I could not help but notice that there were some pics of shooters using the United States Rifle 30 caliber.

Whats the story on that?

Yeah, I've noticed that in a lot of pictures from the June 9-10 Appleseeds, too.  It hasn't been two much more than 24 hours since I received my CMP certificate and I've been seeing M1As all day long.  I do a search for a company logo image dealing in agriculture and on the first scroll down in Google... there's an M1A.  What does an M1A have to do with corn????  I'm thinkin' it's a sign....  ;D

Anyone up for a roadtrip to OH?   O0
"Persistence is to the character of man as carbon is to steel." - Napoleon Hill

colycat

Well you won't get a M1A from the CMP.  Darn it anyway.  The M 14 is capable of being converted to a full auto.  I was referring to the M1 Garand.  The official name (yellowhousejake, correct me if needed) is the United States Rifle, 30 caliber, MI.  The thing I like the most is its called the US Rifle.  How cool is it that we can buy them, shipped to our door, from the US Gov.!!!!!

There is still hope, while we are still free.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

MaverickAR6

Quote from: colycat on June 12, 2012, 12:59:38 AM
Well you won't get a M1A from the CMP.  Darn it anyway.  The M 14 is capable of being converted to a full auto.  I was referring to the M1 Garand.  The official name (yellowhousejake, correct me if needed) is the United States Rifle, 30 caliber, MI.  The thing I like the most is its called the US Rifle.  How cool is it that we can buy them, shipped to our door, from the US Gov.!!!!!

There is still hope, while we are still free.

Yes, there is still hope.... I was actually referring to the Garand, too, in the pics and just screwed up the designation.  But, now that I think about it.... all the more reason to get both!  ^:)^

Thanks for the correction. I have a habit of calling the Garand the M1A.
"Persistence is to the character of man as carbon is to steel." - Napoleon Hill

zamboni_driver

Whats the story on that?

Dan was shooting the Garand and was also our returning rifleman from last year.  He is also the club rep and a great Appleseed supporter.  He earned a medal last year shooting his Garand at Camp Perry but I can't remember the specifics.  He credits the Appleseed from last year in helping to win the medal as he learned he was dragging wood during the Appleseed.

Taylor

Quote from: zamboni_driver on June 12, 2012, 09:01:34 AM

Whats the story on that?

Dan was shooting the Garand and was also our returning rifleman from last year.  He is also the club rep and a great Appleseed supporter.  He earned a medal last year shooting his Garand at Camp Perry but I can't remember the specifics.  He credits the Appleseed from last year in helping to win the medal as he learned he was dragging wood during the Appleseed.

Dan was using our AS as a tune up in preparation for this year's Camp Perry Garand Match, the event he medaled in last year. He credits our trigger control instruction (C-shaped TF, no dragging wood, hold it back...) with much of his success. As we were tearing down Sunday he made the comment that the AQT grind in Sunday afternoon's heat was more rigorous than anything he would do at Camp Perry and he thought it would give him a definite edge against the competition. I can still hear the bark of that .30 cal from the right end of the line...kind of music to one's ears.

-Albert Einstein

-Joseph Addison

Sly223

I have so much confidence in the rifles they are shipping out.
I am waiting for one to arrive at my doorstep, any day Now!
This Rifle,Saved this Nation once!
A True piece of American History!
Over 70 years old and still the most comparable Rifle around!
I bet they still scare the crap outta the Germans when spoke of (This Machine Gun)
the Americans were issued,The Game changer, and about the only thing to overtake a machine gunners nest.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Taylor

Quote from: Sly223 on June 12, 2012, 10:08:07 AM
I have so much confidence in the rifles they are shipping out.
I am waiting for one to arrive at my doorstep, any day Now!
This Rifle,Saved this Nation once!
A True piece of American History!
Over 70 years old and still the most comparable Rifle around!
I bet they still scare the crap outta the Germans when spoke of (This Machine Gun)
the Americans were issued,The Game changer, and about the only thing to overtake a machine gunners nest.

The FedEx man is delivering a .308 conversion today. I'm hoping to take it for a test drive this afternoon.

-Albert Einstein

-Joseph Addison

zamboni_driver

Quote from: Taylor on June 12, 2012, 09:49:13 AM
I can still hear the bark of that .30 cal from the right end of the line...kind of music to one's ears.

At one point on Sunday, the Garand was firing next to an AR with a Jerry Miculek muzzle brake so it was loud enough that some shooters doubled up with plugs and ear muffs.

Sly223

Nice,
You mean it gave all a chance to expand their character through adversity!
Huzzah!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

dragonfly

Well done my friends, looks like a good time had by all  O0 .

U.S. RIFLE CAL. 30 M1

Enjoy  :~

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

colycat

Nice muzzle disipline %) :-X in that film.