News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

new patch

Started by smoakingun, May 12, 2012, 12:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Quote from: scuzzy on May 15, 2012, 08:13:52 PM
I know I got it and I probably set an Appleseed record for the number of shoots it took me to get it. I'm right at 210 and I played heck to break that. So I'm proud of it.

You were a rifleman long before you hit 210 Scuzzy.  O0

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Two Wolves

You were a rifleman long before you hit 210 Scuzzy.  O0

YHJ

I'll second that!  ^:)^

TW
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

azmule

Quote from: Fred on May 15, 2012, 02:56:22 PM
    About Year 3 of the program we suddenly realized that, for practical purposes, the AS sched went "dead" in Dec, Jan, Feb and, often - March.

We see somewhat of the same problem in Arizona - we lose a lot of momentum over June/July/August, and while I agree that there are legitimate safety concerns over trying to keep everyone focused and healthy over two full days of exposure to 110+, I don't see it as insurmountable given the proper precautions - if there are folks willing to shoot in that heat, I'm willing to instruct in it.

While I'm solidly in the "don't need any special patch 'cos a Rifleman's a Rifleman" camp, I *was* planning something extra for any new Riflemen at our June shoot this year in Buckeye.  Something like a blazing sun hat/lapel pin or similar - and I'll make it clear that the extra is not any kind of official Appleseed thing, but is just a personal gift from myself and the other instructors for recognition of their perseverance in becoming a Rifleman through some decidedly unpleasant and trying conditions.  A Rifleman is still a Rifleman regardless, but they showed up to shoot in the furnace instead of waiting for better conditions and I'd like to make sure they know that their instructors appreciate that.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Sly223

O.k. Smoake,
You have my full endorsement,
fwiw,
if there is a winter seed there should be a Summer seed.
No one can tell me dealing with freezing is worse than 90degrees with 90% humidity.
I dropped down in the cold and hit a 212, later that same summer i dropped down and it took everything I had to hit 197,after a laugh at my expense,Two other instructors missed the mark my SC shot the same as I.
I am not ashamed of not being able to hit score that day there were a lot of other factors,but the heat could not be beat!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

SSG Platz

Just one guy talking, but why don't you keep with the status quo and call it a Summer seed, I just say that because the one we already have is called winterseed, so it's  not like it's called icecicle seed or freezer seed. And jus keep it simple and say for anything over 100, or even 110 degrees. Might help get it passed up the chain.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

alkeford

I am a sticker !@#$% so it only gos to say i like patches. PaxxAZ I need my shootong jacket to save my elbows and absorb recoil lol. and  Two Wolves if you still have patches on your jacket from days gone by your supposed to give them back when (days go by)
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

TN_Dadx5

Please forgive my earlier post being humorous  -:) about the different patches.  We just finished a shoot where it got up to 112° on Saturday and was more than 102° all day Sunday.  We had 0  no-shows either day.  We had to adapt to the heat by taking mandatory water breaks.  But not one of these intrepid souls left early and they actually showed marked increase in the Redcoats, even the young teen with a brand new 10/22 with no sling and buckhorn sights.  I wish now that I had something to give them for their persistence and moxie.

Charlie
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

TN_Dadx5

We had 3 of 16 shoot RM, each at least twice.  One of them after shooting RM twice went over to the 100 yd range to shoot his AR left his last AQT still on the target backer.  I was working with another student and noticed how good it was so I took it back and scored it, 231!

We also had 4 others that were scoring from 190 to 208.

One thing that I didn't expect but we had a lot of bad ammo.  Normally we get about 10 bad rounds in our live round bucket, but this weekend we had about 50.  I'm not usre if it was the heat or bad batches, but there were diferent types in the bucket.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Bigcountry

My first AS it was about 100 degees my second was in the middle of a tropical storm don't know what conditions mother nature will throw at us I just want to EARN a patch that says Rifleman on it any color or style will do fine because I will know I EARNED the right to wear it then I can put on the orange hat  and start EARNING my red hat while carrying on this noble cause I am a simple man

dwkfym

Here is my input.. SAUNASEED.  The temps themselves aren't too bad, but the vapor coming off of the wet, steamy grassy ground.. :)

SSG Platz

Sorry Brotha, but your a day late and a donut short on this thread, this patch has been made and is being fielded in Fl. Right now.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.