News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

MUSKEGON, MI MAY 5-6

Started by Swamp Thing, May 05, 2012, 11:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp Thing

Day one at a new range for Appleseed in beautiful Muskegon, MI.

Fantastic range, fantastic people from the range, fantastic students!

Instructors camping on site, camp fires, stories, venison, bacon.

Rain, rain, rain, more rain, heavy rain, followed by more really heavy rain.

Some folks had to pack up, soaked to the bone, shivering and freezing. Still leaving with thank you's and smiles on their faces!

Some folks staying until 6:30 PM shooting AQT's!!!!

Quite possibly my favorite shoot of all time! And we still have another day to go.

More to come........

ST

Bull13

You guys are doing it right if you've got bacon! We call it "Tactical Bacon" or "tac bac" here in the Hoosier. Thanks! ATM!
As you know, it's not an Appleseed unless we are doing the Rifleman's dance in it!
Wish I could be at all of them. There's. Good times to be had while doing the business of bailing! Enjoy!
Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
Patrick Henry March 23,1775

Swamp Thing

OK, so the weekend didn't go quite as expected. The constant driving cold rain sent 5 shooters home early on Saturday. Rather than catch their death of pneumonia they decided to live and Appleseed another day. We applaud them for sticking it out that far; they were soaked to the bone. Elise, Jeff, Hunter, Kyle and Adam, thank you for coming, getting deluged, and thanking us on the way out. You are all some truly stand up Americans.

Then on Sunday we had to pack in early due to incoming lightning.

Wow!

Maybe not the best Appleseed? Or was it?

We had 4 of the most persistant shooters I have ever seen tough it out under brutal conditions and then come back for more! I should mention one of them was an 8 year old girl. I think if we hadn't called the shoot because of the lighting, she might still be there shooting.

All four of you consistently shot better and better all weekend, our three "grown ups" were all knocking on the rifleman's door with scores in the high 180's and 190's. Guys, you WILL get that patch, soon. And young Alexandra broke open the first step to being a rifleman by qualifying as a marksman. Great shooting Alex!  ^:)^

Lunch on Saturday turned into a lengthy rain delay so we just decided to tell ALL of the history of 4-19-1775 in one shot! By request! The students just wanted to hear more and more. OK, and take a little time to dry off.  ;)

So, let's look back on deluge-seed. Bad? No way! More Americans so close to becoming rifleman AND fully awakened to the true greatness of our country and our heritage.

Complete win in my book!

Now, about that fair weather request for our return in August.....

Thanks once again folks for a great event!

P.S. I did get a few photos with my phone. I'll post them here once I've drained and dried it.

ST

mac66

Perseverance is alive and well in Muskegon. The rain washed any doubt away that people still like to learn marksmanship and history.

Great people at the range. In addition to the students we had several range officials out for most of the day Saturday and Sunday. They seemed to have at much fun as the rest of us.

What's the saying? "nice weather, (if you're a duck").  Even with rain gear one eventually gets wet if one is swimming long enough. On the other hand, it cleared up enough Saturday for us to get in a late AQT.

Also had a good time camping out.  Good fellowship and talk (and peppered bacon) with a couple of the students, Derek and Carl.

Then there was young Miss Alex and her dad Doug. They and the aforementioned Derek and Carl stuck it out through the whole weekend, rain and all. They were still smiling at the end. Is there any doubt by anyone why we instructors do this stuff?

Alex, you go girl, great improvement this weekend, it was fun working with you.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

D.O.M.

Now THAT experience made some memories! Good going! I'll bet the shooters will remember that for the rest of their lives!
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

Swamp Thing

Without pics, it didn't happen. Right?

Here's a few. Post up people!

MI-copperhead

Nothing quite like a cold spring rain to find out how well all the gear works.  >:D
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Gump1022

It was a blast rain was not a factor for me it made me feal like I was really there on April 19 1775 it was a very insperational weekend and I got given my new Name there and I will wear it proud and that is Gump. And my faverite quote well one of them .......... you dragging wood GUMP. !!!!! ;D swaump thing .. me yeas sir!!!!! Good times good food and all of the instructors. That were there amazing. Job you all rock one on one when you need it help with what ever you need thank you all for a funamilal time...... and p.s I did get the chance to shoot glen's M1-Garand wazza

SteelThunder

Copperhead -- you should know sir, after that Bellevue weekend!
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al