News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Liberia - A good way to support children with an "American" connection

Started by slim, April 18, 2012, 10:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

You history buffs ought to know about the connection Liberia has with the United States. Currently they're an up and coming African nation in a recovering post-war democracy.

A classmate of mine is active in a non-profit organization called "More than Me" that helps young girls get a good education. Seems like it'd be something most of us would have no trouble supporting. For only $350 a year, a child can get an education. Think that over for a minute. For less than the cost of your Starbucks each morning, you can send a kid to school.

I know we're all active in saving our own country. Here's our chance to save the world!

Check out their website - http://www.morethanme.org/

Fred

slim, you're treading on the far edge of SOM-SOM with this post.

We aren't even sure we can save our own country yet, and the future may hold a lot of treading water for each of us, if we don't.

So I appreciate the thought of "saving the world" but for the nonce, until we save the sinking ship we're currently on, I'm thinking "charity begins at home".
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

slim

Undoubtedly so.

But the beauty of this inter-organizational support is many of the folks in that organization need to be 7th Stepped. It's unlikely any of them would ever make it out to an Appleseed since we're on "opposite sides" of that stuff we don't talk about. Once they see us taking an active interest in their program it's highly likely they'll start taking an interest in ours. We're both rooted in history. We're both trying to wake people up. And we're both doing good things.

I'm not "selling" this to anyone. I just saw it as a good opportunity for those (like spouses and teenage/college kids) who aren't 100% into our program to get involved in a historically-based non-profit group that would be mutually beneficial when it comes to getting up off their couch and saving the country. 

slim

Quote from: Fred on April 18, 2012, 11:15:14 AMWe aren't even sure we can save our own country yet,
I've been thinking about this post all day...

... and I'm sure we can save the country! All we need is a few more  -:) and we'll be set.

yellowhousejake

Quote from: slim on April 18, 2012, 03:58:38 PM
Quote from: Fred on April 18, 2012, 11:15:14 AMWe aren't even sure we can save our own country yet,
I've been thinking about this post all day...

... and I'm sure we can save the country! All we need is a few more  -:) and we'll be set.

"aren't sure?" Hide and watch grandpa, we will get it done.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

:) ;) ;D :( :wb: ~~:) :cool2: ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :'( >:D ^-^ O0 :bow: #) :sos: &) @) **) ^:)^ !@#) @@) $$-0 :)) @&) :~ :--- ..:.. :shootself: :slap: :pics: :sb: -:) :pop: :DH:

OK, a smiley or two is ok, even more than two, but this is crazy. I already turn off signatures and avatars to fit more thread on my little screen. Now I got dancing icons everywhere, I see nothing in my profile settings to turn this stuff off.

Any ideas before I setup my own CSS file?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

do what you want but if that Mohawk emoticon goes anywhere I'm quitting.   -:)
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge