News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Where some CA climate change can impact the weather in our lifetime

Started by funfaler, April 18, 2012, 09:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funfaler

In the Appleseed business, there are many times where the positives resulting from the weekend events goes unseen by those who are wearing the RWVA hats.   The "seeds" are planted, but the sprouts are unseen, let alone the opportunity to see saplings grow to true fruit bearing trees.

However, there are opportunities to foster the planting and growing of these "seeds", to the point seeing fruit coming to bear relatively quickly, in our lifetime, and even over the course of just one Appleseed season.

The example below is for California, partly because this was a very easy example to give, partly because since April of 2008, I have been smitten by the good folks in CA (those who like to belittle California and the good folks there, obviously don't know what is going on in that state, especially in the arena of Appleseed :-[)   However, the example and the opportunities below are in all 50 states.   So while in the CA board, these opportunities are across the country.

Here is a link to a fabulous video, of county Sheriffs in CA, who are taking their oath to serve the People and uphold the Constitution of the United States and California, very seriously.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4RuWK2Ww-4&feature=player_embedded#!   These are elected representatives and law enforcement of the People.   What other law enforcement officers are directly elected by the People?

These are your local law enforcement officers, they walk the same sidewalks as you do, their children go to the same schools yours do, and they are equally impacted by abuse of powers from the state and federal governments.   So they are a direct liaison between the People and the government agencies who are so directly impacting our daily lives in this modern era of a progressive government.

Here you can learn more about the Sheriff's First legislation which is starting to progress across the country (sitting on the Governor's desk in AZ  O0http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/nullification/sheriffs-first-legislation/   But none of the discussion here relies upon this legislation, but this sort of legislation is just an example of what climate change on a county level can easily, and quickly lead to.

As you listen to these Sheriffs speak, you will hear them reference the very Heritage which we speak of at Appleseed events.   They speak of many of the same things you will hear at the events.   These Sheriffs are the tip of the spear in the struggle to preserve the country passed on to us by our Founders, so we may pass it on to our children.

So the BIG QUESTION is what can Appleseeders do, and why should they care?

These Sheriffs are doing the work of the People, what they need is the support of the People.   If these folks are left to face the struggles alone, they will be easily sidestepped and removed.   However, if there is an awareness and appreciation by the People of the efforts of these Sheriffs, then they will have the backing of the People.   This translates to votes at election time, but it really translates to a cultural change (dare we call this "climate change"?) in the counties which they are active in.    This results in county attorneys who will side with the Sheriff, judges who support the Sheriff, and other elected members of the county who support the Sheriff......and this eventually, but more quickly than imagined by many, will impact the course of the state.

So some suggestions on what can be possible in these counties, specifically by Appleseeders.   

1)  Introduce your program to these, and other, Sheriffs in your country.    Any thinking Sheriff should quickly see that a program which awakens the People of their country to the Founding Heritage will result in a populace which will be supportive of Constitutional actions by the Sheriff.     

2)   If you don't have shoots set up in these counties, work to make that happen.   Coordination with the local Sheriff will likely result in finding venues for shoots, and even LibrarySeeds.   If a farmer friend of a Sheriff is asked to host an Appleseed Shoot, you think that possibly he may be more open to that idea than if some stranger with a Red Hat approaches them?   

3)  At the events, introduce the People at the shoots to the Sheriff in their country, as well as other elected officials, so they know who represents them.   Point out that as owners of their county, their state, their country, the People have a duty and obligation to communicate their wishes and desires to their elected representatives.   

Give them the contact information of these elected reps, even invite these reps to address the attendees at these events.

4)  Explain the road map which our Founders gave us, to secure Liberty for their Posterity.    These Sheriffs are on that road map.   It is one which the People have several layers of government to protect their Rights and Liberties, using one level to stop usurpations by another level.   This is the balance of power which the Founders spoke of so often, or what is often referred to as "checks and balance" in the government.

There are many very good examples of local Sheriffs stepping in between the People and abusive government, which can be relayed to people.   Perhaps we can share some of these here on this thread for others to pick up on.   Sheriff Richard Mack is one such example.   Sheriff Brad Rogers, of Elkhart County, Indiana is another great example:  http://www.thecompletepatient.com/article/2011/december/7/amid-sheriff-dofj-warnings-pullback-grand-jury-investigation-dairy-farmer

So what are the benefits to Appleseed?  (this gets fun  :pop:)

1)  It costs very little time, and likely no money, to introduce Project Appleseed to your local Sheriffs.   However, given the message spoken of by these Sheriffs, who are represented on the included video, they would be very appreciative of the program, and should likely become very enthusiastic about such a program in their county.

2)  These Sheriffs are part of the community which should be hosting Appleseed events.   These Sheriffs are elected officials, this means they are well known and have many contacts in the counties which they serve.   This means introductions to Appleseeders of many of these people which know and support these Sheriffs.   This means more contacts for you Appleseeders and more people who learn about Appleseed, the possible connection to the Sheriff's efforts, who will help promote the events in their counties.   There is very little expense associated with this effort, and a little time.

3) We begin to develop a cultural change in counties (local 'climate change'?) where real change is in progress (local weather conditions?).    A culture of our Founders, a culture of Isaac Davis, is a culture which these Sheriffs are relying upon to do what they are doing.    Appleseed awakens this culture and fosters this culture. 

Many People in these counties may not be interested or aware of what is going on in their county.   They may not be aware of the Constitutional efforts which are being taken on their behalf, and on behalf of their children.   The Sheriffs who are working in these efforts are busy, they don't have access to the People like Appleseed can have, and we all know that the People of our country are less likely to jump into these ideas on their own....they need a little nudge off of their couch.    Appleseed can get people of the various counties to come out to events, introduce them to these ideas, efforts and concepts, when few other organizations can.

These Sheriffs, in these specific counties, can greatly benefit from a focused effort by Appleseed.    The People of these counties already have the culture foundation which is in line with the Founder's vision of this country.   What Appleseed brings to the table is an awakening and fostering of this cultural climate.....a climate change capability.   

What these counties offer Appleseed is some very real time, tangible opportunities to OBSERVE AND EXPERIENCE, in relatively short time, planted seeds sprout and produce fruit.   Seldom are there areas where Appleseeders can set themselves to a task, with some very tangible goals in mind, and have a relatively realistic anticipation of tangible results in very short time.   This is just such an opportunity.   

Sowing seeds without seeing sprouts is the thankless task of an Appleseeder.   However, when opportunities present themselves, such as these, where Appleseeders can see the results of their efforts very quickly, are rare rewards for their efforts and sacrifices.

As such, these events afford Appleseeders the very needed boost in their morale, the very needed glimpse of the water in the bilge area going down just a little, letting them KNOW their efforts at bailing are resulting in positive effects.    If an Appleseeder is asked to bail, with little or no hope of seeing change, they can easily get demoralized.   Give them a bucket which has proven effective in the past, one which they can see the water dropping when applied....they will bail much more quickly, and gather others to help.

Climate change is best effected and more easily seen on a local level.   Here is just one way to enact and effect just such a change on a county level....where we all can share it with our neighbors.   

Anyone know if Acton, MA is in the same county as Concord?    ;)

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Fred

This is good stuff, well worthy of funfaler, and well worth doing for the rest of us, on those "other 28 days of Appleseed", when the ship is sinking, but most of us are busy doing non-Appleseed things.

Quote from: funfaler on April 18, 2012, 09:59:03 AM
The example below is for California, partly because this was a very easy example to give, partly because since April of 2008, I have been smitten by the good folks in CA (those who like to belittle California and the good folks there, obviously don't know what is going on in that state, especially in the arena of Appleseed :-[

For the record, no one on this forum should be so careless as to be insulting to other Appleseeders in any state. The CA AS crew has requested the rest of us in the program not to join the rest of the country in using pejorative terms in describing their state.

They have enough to do without bad vibes coming from others in this program to add more burdens to them than they already have.

We should be supportive of our CA crew. They have a tough road, a BIG job - and they have the guts to take it on without complaint.

I suggest we be extra appreciative of them, for doing it - and for doing what to date is a GOOD JOB of planting Appleseed in that state.

Here's three O0 O0 O0 for our selfless volunteers in California!!!

Now, let's take on that suggestion funfaler has made, and see if we can incorporate it in our promotions for Appleseed, nationwide!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Foppish Dandy

This is just what I needed... I work and live just around the corner from a couple of Sheriff's stations in LA. I've been meaning to get over there with some AS tri-folds, but I haven't managed it yet. This is exactly what I needed to kick my butt into gear!  ~~:)
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

George Hacker

Quote from: Fred on April 18, 2012, 12:00:58 PM

This is good stuff, well worthy of funfaler, and well worth doing for the rest of us, on those "other 28 days of Appleseed", when the ship is sinking, but most of us are busy doing non-Appleseed things.
Funfaler,

Thank you for the post.  Just sent a Facebook "friend request" to my local sheriff to start the communication. I have friended my local politicians and I regularly invite them to an Appleseed via Facebook (it also has a side effect of promoting our FB page to their friends).

I won't stop there, I will follow up in other ways.  We have a great sheriff and he needs to hear about Project Appleseed.

Quote from: funfaler on April 18, 2012, 09:59:03 AM
The example below is for California, partly because this was a very easy example to give, partly because since April of 2008, I have been smitten by the good folks in CA (those who like to belittle California and the good folks there, obviously don't know what is going on in that state, especially in the arena of Appleseed :-[

For the record, no one on this forum should be so careless as to be insulting to other Appleseeders in any state. The CA AS crew has requested the rest of us in the program not to join the rest of the country in using pejorative terms in describing their state.

They have enough to do without bad vibes coming from others in this program to add more burdens to them than they already have.

We should be supportive of our CA crew. They have a tough road, a BIG job - and they have the guts to take it on without complaint.

I suggest we be extra appreciative of them, for doing it - and for doing what to date is a GOOD JOB of planting Appleseed in that state.

Here's three O0 O0 O0 for our selfless volunteers in California!!!

Now, let's take on that suggestion funfaler has made, and see if we can incorporate it in our promotions for Appleseed, nationwide!
Thank you, California Appleseed, for all that you do.  Keep on telling the history and running shoots.  You guys have a special place in my heart because I was born and raised in California.

Others, let's help California out by promoting their Facebook pages to our friends and relatives that live in California.  Since I am a Southern California native, I am trying to get my friends to check out the following FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1280961904#!/pages/Project-Appleseed-Southern-California/282884965120556  There are similar pages in other parts of the state.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Mark Davis

I must applaud those Californians who have the guts to stay there and improve the state.

(disclamer, I was born in east LA, at 4 years of age, was very keen on escape, 41 years ago, at 15 managed escape. Three siblings and only living parent still live there.)

Dagdason

I have had the fortunate experience of associating with Sheriffs in several counties in California as a consequence of my business travels as well as my participation in the Occupy movement. I also associated with several as a result of my children going to school with their children (specifically a former Sacramento County Sheriff whose daughter went to school with mine) or living on the same street or in the same apartment complex.

Like the diversity of the people in this world there is an equal amount of diversity in their ranks, some are very friendly while others are a bit standoffish, but overall the greater quantity are good kind people. And my associations with them have always been thoughtful and robust with ups and downs as they don't always get to see the best side of humans.

I try to be thoughtful of that aspect of their lives and allow them to vent but at the same time try to get them to understand that the troubles that task these people is what creates the bad experiences and we must be mindful of the normal citizens inability, at times, not to be able to see through the emotion of the moment in order to compose themselves enough to handle it respectfully and peacefully. Some officers seem to genuinely appreciate that perspective.

During the Occupy Sacramento events I had the opportunity to interact and minister (if you will) to Sacramento PD about exactly what the cause was all about and that the show of civil disobedience was not necessarily a display of disrespect for law enforcement, but a show of concern over the repeated attempts by politicians to limit our freedoms as laid out in the constitution. And as I brought this to their attention, they understood that we had ample respect for what they did and felt that their having to be dealing with us instead of the real criminals was a greater travesty of the law than anything else.

I also had the chance invite several of the bicycle officers around Cesar Chavez Park to come out and participate in the Appleseed shoots, though I have yet to see one take me up on that.

I appreciate officers of the law and would appreciate more that they reflect upon their oath when dealing with law abiding citizens who are voicing their first amendment rights and exercising their second amendment rights, cause it is our votes and taxes that protect them while they protect us.

Darrell

funfaler

Dagdason is correct to point out the diversity of personalities and ideologies of the police, specifically to this conversation, the Sheriffs, as they are simply people too.

This is the point of the Sheriffs being the elected law enforcement agents, who have a tremendous amount of power, living in the very communities which they are elected agents for.    This goes back to the founding of the country, when the Founders had to deal with edicts handed down by the King and Parliament, and enforced by officers of the King, who owed their allegiance to the King, over 3000 miles away.   

The position of Sheriff is very unique, and offers unique opportunities in the preservation of our Constitutional Republic, and thus, unique opportunities for Appleseeders.

There is little doubt that we will run into Sheriffs who just are unaware of the true purpose of their position, or some who are quite antagonistic toward Constitutional principles.    Those who are in this latter group, need to be identified so the people of their respective counties can determine if that is the sort of representative law enforcement officer they wish to have.   Those who are in the former group, they offer an opportunity for others to raise their awareness of their duties and Constitutional responsibilities. 

However, as we can see by the video, there are Sheriffs in a third group of representatives who have a very true understanding of what their purpose is and what their true job is...namely being that tool of the People to preserve the Constitutional structure of this country and the Freedoms and Liberties of those in their county.

Until we introduce ourselves to our Sheriffs, until we get to KNOW who and what they are, we can not determine what group they fall into.     

One of the jobs of an Appleseeder is to be able to introduce their Sheriff to Appleseed, but also to educate (or perhaps better said, illuminate) these Sheriffs of the many positives of having a strong and active Appleseed program in their county.   If these Sheriffs really don't know what Appleseed is trying to accomplish, how can they understand the many positives of having a strong and active Appleseed program in their county?

Appleseed offers more than merely rifle marksmanship.   We all know that, but can we adequately explain to others what Appleseed offers other than rifle marksmanship skills? 

Specifically with the group of Sheriffs who are aware of their proper role, Appleseed offers a wealth of opportunities for those Sheriffs.     Let's explore some of them.

1)  Appleseed introduces people to the Founding Principles.   Many people hear about these principles for the first time, at Appleseed events, and it is a message which resonates with the inner American/Rifleman in every American.     If people at the events learn about what animated the Founders, what was important to these first Americans, they will be more able to recognize these traits in modern day representatives.   

As Sheriffs increasingly get involved in the protection of these principles, when they use the language of Freedom and Liberty, the people of their country (those who have attended and been involved in Appleseed) will recognize what they saying.   

Often the concepts of American Liberty are complex.   Often people are not familiar with what makes this country unique and Free.   So when a Sheriff (or any representative) begins to speak of such things, they can be saying things which really don't resonate and make sense to those they represent.    Appleseed can be a great place for the average people of a country to learn of these principles, to learn the meaning of the words of Freedom, and this makes them more responsive to those who wish to speak this language.

2)  Appleseed instills a sense of duty and obligation to become an active owner of one's country (thus county), and to participate in what is going on around them.

One of the biggest hurdles these Sheriffs face is being alone in their efforts.    If a Sheriff is willing to take a stand for the Founding Principles, however, the people of his county do not stand up and support him, well, he will be defeated in his efforts and likely in his election efforts.   

The power of these Sheriffs resides in the support of the people in their counties.   This is the "Consent of the governed" mentioned in the Declaration of Independence.   

Those who attend Appleseeds very often leave with a desire to become more aware and active in the processes of government in their county.   This means that an active Sheriff will have more people in his county who will back him up if he is acting in a Constitutional fashion.

3)  Appleseed introduces People to what is possible.  The historical stories given at an Appleseed are great examples of what is possible with determined, persistent individuals, working together.   This knowledge is easily transfered to modern times, and even modern stories can be used to make direct connections to these Founders who we speak of at events.   

There is an opportunity for those attending Appleseed events to network with each other and coordinate their efforts, allowing them to be more effective owners of their country and counties.   With a few, active, persistent and aware individuals, the entire culture (dare we say climate) of county can be changed for the positive.   

4)  Appleseed stands uniquely position to be a bridge and liaison between the "couch sitters", or those who are apathetic and inactive owners, and those who are doing rubber to the road work of preserving this country.    When people come to their Appleseed events, all too often they feel they are alone in their desire to "do something", and being able to connect people to other people and organizations who are actively working in their county (state and country) to preserve our Founder's country helps them become active and productive owners.

I am sure that many of you have heard, "I never knew that others felt like I do", at events.   Well, Appleseed can be a place that these people can meet, connect and organize.    One of the bridges which can be erected is between the people of a country and their Sheriff.   At the very least, a county's Sheriff contact information could be distributed, but perhaps the Sheriff would be interesting in attending the events and even speaking with the people of his county.   Once the people attending see that one of the "other who feel like I do" is their very Sheriff, they will be more interested and willing to support this representative's efforts to preserve the Founder's country.

There are few efforts in the country to bridge the span between the People of a county and their local Sheriff.   Appleseed is already in place in many of these counties, or can easily be established in these active counties.   The obvious task of an Appleseeder is to make the connections above for the Sheriff, and then for those who attend events.  It costs Appleseed little, but the pay off can be rather high.   

If what is possible is realized in some of the counties of a state, these can serve as examples for other counties in that state, as well as other counties in other states.   The ranks of Sheriff is a small group, and these folks will talk to each other.    If one Sheriff realizes the positives of a strong Appleseed program in his county, it seems quite reasonable that he will share these positive experiences with his peers, and we will find ourselves in a situation where the Sheriffs start reaching out to Appleseed....perhaps even offering resources to help foster a healthy Appleseed program in their county.

Kaylee

I still find amazing the quality of the CA crew that came to Alaska to get things started up there.

It must be true the hardiest trees grow in the toughest conditions - the CA Appleseeders are an inspiration for what can be done in a hostile environment.

Thanks guys. You rock. :)

funfaler

As mentioned above, this is more than a California thing, it is a nation wide thing. 

Here you can learn about many other Sheriffs, around the country, who are standing up for the Rights of the people of their counties.   http://www.countysheriffproject.org/

Specifically, there is a new post there from a Sheriff in New Jersey, as well as some other states.

These are HUGE doors of opportunity opening for the Appleseed program.   

Imagine showing up at one of these Sheriff's offices and having this conversation with them:

Appleseeder:"Greetings Sheriff, I am here from the Project Appleseed".

Sheriff:  "What is Project Appleseed?"

Appleseeder:  "Well Sheriff, it is a non-profit, all volunteer organization which is dedicated to teaching traditional rifle marksmanship skills AND Revolutionary War History, with emphasis on the Founding principles of this country"

Sheriff:  "This sounds interesting and fun, what can I do for you?"

Appleseeder:   "Well Sir, I believe it is what we may be able to do for you.    I have seen where you are taking your oath to uphold and protect the Constitution seriously, and are standing between the usurpation of power by the federal government and the people of your county.   

We understand that this is a very traditional role of the Sheriff, even to before the Revolutionary War.   We teach people about their Founding Heritage, the spirit which was the driving force behind the Colonial's effort to unshackle themselves, and their posterity, from the arbitrary powers of the King, and establish a new government, which derives its power and authority from the consent of the governed. 

It has occurred to us that you may need the support of Americans in your county, to stand against the usurpation of power which you are confronting.   This means that the people of your county need to have an understanding of the Founding principles of this country, and some working knowledge of how our Founders intended this country to be run.

We would like to conduct our events (this would be both shoots and LibrarySeeds) in your county, in an effort to ensure the people of this country have the foundational understanding of what is the proper roles of local, state and federal governments, as passed on to us by our Founders.   We do this all over the country, but it seems that some focus of effort in your county could benefit both our organization and your efforts to ensure Constitutional distribution of powers.

We want to increase the number of events in your county and could use some assistance."

Sheriff:  "Again, this sounds interesting, but what can I do to help?"

Appleseeder:  "Well Sir, we need venues and promotions.     If you could help us identify locations in your county which may be available for us to conduct our events (obviously an explanation of the various events which Appleseed does, and the required venues would ensue), and connect us with people and organizations which will help us get the word out about these events, that will allow us to increase our presence in your county. 

The result will be more and more people in your county who are introduced to the Founding principles, and people who are inspired and motivated to become more involved in the governing processes of this country, state and federal government.   

The hope is that these events will get people to become more aware of how their government is intended to operate, how the power has been given to the People and that they would take action to preserve their Freedoms and Liberties.   

Our hope is to build a culture of awareness and activity within your county, of people who can understand the sacrifice, on their behalf, of the Founding generation, and generations since, to secure their Freedoms.   We hope this aware culture will in turn, step up and be active in their own governance, with an eye toward preserving this country for their children and grandchildren.

So we need locations to conduct our non-profit events, and some connections with people and groups to help us get the word out around the county about these events.   The more people we can get to attend, the more people who will be understanding and supportive of your efforts here in this country."

This situation is a potential Win-Win.   

The Sheriffs who are already stepping up in these efforts are good people.   They are living the Founding Principles, and they could use the support of the people of their county.    The people of their county could definitely benefit from their Sheriff's efforts, and we KNOW they will benefit from what is taught at Appleseeds.  So this effort is beneficial to the Sheriff, the people of their county, and of course, to Appleseed....thus to the country as a whole   O0 ^-^

The point is that they (this being the Sheriff AND the people of their county) will benefit from having a strong Appleseed presence in their county.....Appleseed benefits by having close relationships in the county and having active events on a regular basis, in these counties.

You will notice that most of this is NOT costly, and with some time has the potential of reaping huge benefits for the program and the people of the county.