News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

You Can Vote for "Project Appleseed Peeps" at the Pioneer Press

Started by Puma Mami, March 28, 2012, 07:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puma Mami

I made a diorama for the annual Pioneer Press Peeps Diorama contest and posted it today. It's titled "Project Appleseed Peeps." If you would like to vote for it, please go here: http://twincities.upickem.net/engine/Details.aspx?p=V&c=52696&s=18604950&i=1#SD

I've attached the photo that is entered in the contest ("ProjectAppleseedPeeps.jpg"), and a couple of additional photos of it. I'm hoping it will build some awareness that Project Appleseed exists and that it is safe, fun, and family-friendly. If this diorama gets enough votes it will be published in the newspaper.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Kaylee

techres

That is extremely cool!  My son is a HUGE peeps fan and may pass out from laughter when I show this to him after scouts.

I have already linked the contest vote page to Indiana's facebook...

O0
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Foppish Dandy

I can't even begin to describe how awesome this is!   ;D
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Miller

Fearful but resolute.

AFTERMATH

Awesome!  How many times can I vote?

Put this link in the Newsletter if there's enough time.
What happens when you win?  Is there a front page photo or something?
Pioneer Press isn't going to like that! 

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Nero

Does this mean we can't use Peeps for a break-up-the-Grind fun shoot?   >:D  >:D

Seriously, this is teh awesome, and terminally cute!   O0  :bow:
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 28, 2012, 08:49:03 PM
Awesome!  How many times can I vote?

Put this link in the Newsletter if there's enough time.
What happens when you win?  Is there a front page photo or something?
Pioneer Press isn't going to like that!
Everyone can vote once per day through April 3rd at 11:59pm.

They publish a lot of these in the Sunday Pioneer Press, and if I remember correctly it's in a special section. The contest is judged by their staff, plus there is a "people's choice" winner based on online votes. So it will be published if it wins any type of prize. Otherwise, it is nice just to have it on the gallery since a lot of people look through there and they will see it.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Barbie

Now those are some Peeps you'd feel bad for blowing up in the microwave!  ;D

Great job!
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Puma Mami

Thanks to everyone who likes the diorama and has spread the word about the contest! I hope it will help to promote Appleseed effectively along with being a fun project  :)

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

LittleMo

This is great! Thank you for making this and sharing!

I put a link on the NYSAppleseed Facebook page for this.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

warhog

I voted again today seems strange, and against my nature, but oh so good!
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

AFTERMATH

Quote from: warhog on March 29, 2012, 05:41:20 PM
I voted again today seems strange, and against my nature, but oh so good!

Hey, it's in the rules....

An interesting concept though... 
Wonder how elections would work if you could vote once a day for a month.
Might eliminate the fly-by-night voters who just show up for a sticker....
And the more persistent side would prevail....

Hmm.....
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

George Hacker

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 31, 2012, 10:31:21 PM
Wonder how elections would work if you could vote once a day for a month.
Might eliminate the fly-by-night voters who just show up for a sticker....
And the more persistent side would prevail....

Hmm.....
You know how the saying goes, "Vote early, vote often." ;)

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Prone to Knit

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Puma Mami

Thanks to everyone who liked the diorama and voted! It didn't win a prize or get printed in the newspaper (not too surprising). But it will remain on the web site. Many people scroll through the entries after seeing the section in the paper, and many others will look through them next year in preparation for the competition. My husband ("Yodeler") submitted a comment with the AS web address, so anyone interested in Appleseed will see the URL there in the comments.

Here is the article: http://www.twincities.com/ci_20334661/ninth-annual-marshmallow-peeps-diorama-contest-creative-minds. I was glad to see that the winner was not based on trashy pop culture, but instead a reference to one of the achievements of Western civilization -- namely a famous Rembrandt painting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anatomy_Lesson_of_Dr._Nicolaes_Tulp