News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Getting Appleseeders Back On the CA Board

Started by pennys dad, March 21, 2012, 12:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pennys dad

Good Evening Everyonehe board talk
I hope Everyone had a great day.

I have a question?  How do we get CA Appleseeders back on board and interacting?
How do we turn our CA Appleseed sub forum into a central point of communication?

Please pass this along and get people providing their thoughts.

How do we get everyone talking back and forth?

Warmest Regards

Jacob

Foppish Dandy

I dunno about everyone else, but I personally won't shut up. ;D
I'll chat all day long if someone posts.
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

pennys dad

I know what you mean.  I am a chatterbox.  So how do we get others in here to do some chatting and planning and grinning and stuff?

Foppish Dandy

Wish I knew...
What would you consider to be the greatest benefit of this message board (the CA sub-section)? ... for instructors, for returning shooters, for first time shooters, for potential attendees?

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Johnnyappleseed

I think you started something  O0
Lets start by promoting the forum at each event we do .
FD you are signed on for sunland?

Work up a 2 minute promotion on the forum , if you please   ;D

My phone is always available and if you want to discuss anything ,feel free
Richard 714 614 8001
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Foppish Dandy

I'll be at Sunland at the beginning of April... Will work on some good ways for promoting the forum.

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on March 21, 2012, 02:23:15 PM
I think you started something  O0
Lets start by promoting the forum at each event we do .
FD you are signed on for sunland?

Work up a 2 minute promotion on the forum , if you please   ;D

My phone is always available and if you want to discuss anything ,feel free
Richard 714 614 8001

pennys dad

Yessir a forum elevator speech sounds like a perfect start, what other perfect starts are there?

If we are to make progress on the mission, we need to communicate, the forum is our vehicle for communication but it isnt used, so how can we be making progress on the mission without communicating. 

Scott1600

Been lurking.  Either lots of lurkers like me, or nobody's home... Sure HAS been awful quiet around here lately.  :-X
-Scott
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: pennys dad on March 21, 2012, 03:50:08 PM
Yessir a forum elevator speech sounds like a perfect start, what other perfect starts are there?

If we are to make progress on the mission, we need to communicate, the forum is our vehicle for communication but it isnt used, so how can we be making progress on the mission without communicating.
Exactly  O0
Speaking just of AS events and getting on the imporatnce of getting on the forum.

A short  statement on how easy it is to get on and to register . maybe 1 minute during water break etc .
The person taking pic's can say how you will need to register to view .
I think really short promo's done a few times over the weekend is effective.
Possibly instructors joking about not wanting that in AAR -- a little mystery ?
Although we get lots of views and 1st time posters after a shoot , interest on forum seems to drop off for most .
FD we need to think on how opening the forum daily is as natural as turning puter on .
A good short promo --or slogan repeated often .

Lets get some more idea's !

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Foppish Dandy

I really think what would help us improve the level of chatter on the CA board is to identify the following:

What benefit does the board offer to someone who has never been to an Appleseed event?

What benefit does the board offer to someone who is getting ready for their upcoming event?

What benefit does the board offer to someone who just finished their first Appleseed event?

What benefit does the board offer to someone who has been to several events but hasn't reached their score?

What benefit does the board offer to someone who has reached their score but isn't yet an instructor?

Thoughts?

FD

dbur

Being a new IIT,
I am finding it difficult to navigate the boards and follow threads.  I would encourage the moderators to create static pages for key information including Instructor Manuals, training guides, information for attendees, etc.

Then organize the board by category, perhaps I am missing some kind of set up option, but my forums always come up ordered by last updated.  This is kind of annoying since I only care about the area I live in and topics that pertain to me.

FD has a good point in identifying and promoting the value for each possible audience.

bob 210

PM sent

Quote from: dbur on April 25, 2012, 04:55:02 PM
Being a new IIT,
I am finding it difficult to navigate the boards and follow threads.  I would encourage the moderators to create static pages for key information including Instructor Manuals, training guides, information for attendees, etc.

Then organize the board by category, perhaps I am missing some kind of set up option, but my forums always come up ordered by last updated.  This is kind of annoying since I only care about the area I live in and topics that pertain to me.

FD has a good point in identifying and promoting the value for each possible audience.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

BuckleNose

Quote from: dbur on April 25, 2012, 04:55:02 PM
Being a new IIT,

Good points.  I would be happy to assist on items like updating lists, archiving 'old' items, etc.
BuckleNose

PaxxAZ

Just throwing ideas out, kind of text version of singular brainstorming...California is a big state, and you have things divided regionally, but you might want a few more sub forums. As well as some Instructor level and above areas only. This would clear up some of the constant chatter of those really talking internals (like this) and keep the public side simple and straight forward.

If you are able to take lots of Pictures or some such, post some in the AAR, but put most in the State or regional forum with links in the AAR.

Make active efforts to move conversations started in the AAR to the California forum.

Promote some local activities that might not be strictly AS but ties in.

We (AZ) have a email list for going to the range...a buddy list, so if you want people spotting for you, coaching, or just going you can post when, where, what...and anyone can join. Not so much in use, but you have more people with less chances to shoot. We have ranges that are in use all day every day at very reasonable prices near urban areas.

But it might just be an AS get together at the new eatery near the Range we always go to or some such. Everyone who wants to go go, and if you have questions before diving in to an entire weekend (get to know us) here is a perfect time and place.

I guess, artificially build the community.  Put your selves out there and see who comes along.

At the same time on the forum, lessen the Wall of stickies consolidate the important info, so new people find it quickly. I'm thinking I am going to have to write something for us (AZ) about things to bring to a 100+ degree shoot and what to be aware of. After I write it, I hope my girlfriend will correct it because I write like a gorilla.  But the Lesson there is we need to make sure our people are aware of the unique concerns of every environmental and in California you have populated centers in almost every environment.

I really want to stress making the stickies 1 point resources with all the info up front. then lock them down. have the conversations about them elsewhere. Make finding info easy though it does not give the originator of the thought the Kudos they deserve.

Just some thoughts.
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

Johnnyappleseed

good thoughts Paxx
Would you explain a bit more about the buddy list your post refers to?
Calvin Coolidge

PaxxAZ

one of the Shoot-bosses made the following.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21574.0

it is a simple list serv, that if you are going to the range to practice, and would like some support or like others to go, post an e-mail, everyone gets it.

We do not use it very often I must admit. but in a more populated area, it might reach critical mass faster.  :-[

This shoot boss asks those who are interested to write their e-mail on a list. He then adds them to the listserv.

(I'm going to the Range X next Saturday may 19th, at noon. taking 15 AQTs, wanting to do some drills. Anyone interested Let me know.)

If it is to focus people back to the forum, limit message length, and have them post a link with more info on the forum.

Such as;

Doing some drills 5/19/12 more info at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=28389.0

Or you can also use it to promote Library seeds.

There are a million and one ways to push it, just don't allow spam, and funnel them back to the forum whenever possible.

Instructors and IITs should probably use it more often just to have it being used at first, but when you reach critical mass...then it hopefully will be seeders.
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011