News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SoCal get partial credit

Started by Burrito Hand Sam, February 10, 2012, 12:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burrito Hand Sam

So jan 28, 2012 I shot a 214 ^:)^ on my last AQT at the 1 day only Minot ND appleseed. This was  1 1/2 year's in the making, I attended my first appleseed back on july 24/25, 2010 at glen helen Ca http://http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15492.0, so SoCal gets some credit for the foundation .
  I no longer reside in Ca and have since moved back to America but I will always look back with fondness to those Americans I met through appleseed even though they call "The Peoples Republik of Kalifornistan" home.I wish all my Ca appleseeders they best  and hope that they prevail in spreading the word about the American revolution and the Constitution and that Ca may someday rejoin The USA :D .

aragornelessar86

Way to go man! Welcome to the fold.

On another note: I know it's common practice to refer to CA as Kalifornistan and talk about "how great it'll be when they finally join the US", but as a born and raised Californian it gets old and it's kinda offensive. Given the discussion ban on current politics and the reasons behind that ban, I would request and recommend that Appleseeders refrain from this kind of belittling talk about CA, even in jest.
QuoteWish I was rich instead of so damn good looking
QuoteThose who would trade liberty for a little security deserve neither liberty nor security

Foppish Dandy

Quote from: aragornelessar86 on February 10, 2012, 08:15:20 PM
but as a born and raised Californian it gets old and it's kinda offensive.

Not sure why being born and raised a Californian would make it offensive... I'm a born and raised Californian and find it to be a completely honest statement. Try living in Los Angeles for any significant portion of time... law-abiding gun owners are just short of a persecuted minority.

Just sayin'...
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

aragornelessar86

I live in San Diego county, so I know where you're coming from, but there are a lot of us who believe that we can fix things. I believe that Appleseed could and should be a huge part of that fix, but it won't be if the hardworking persecuted 2A activists here get the idea that somehow AS has written CA off as a lost cause.

I'm asking as someone who's trying to help grow AS here in CA that we refrain from speaking that way about CA, as I can tell you with absolute certainty that it WILL make my job harder here.
QuoteThose who would trade liberty for a little security deserve neither liberty nor security

Fred

Guys, Burito Hand Sam is apparently brand new to the forum, and is not aware of our CA ASers' sensitivities about the use of some common names for California.

I 'spect as more new people join, there'll have to be a restatement/reposting of the request that "California" is the proper name of that state, and no other.

I doubt anyone who uses different names really in his heart intends evil - if anything, there should be greater respect for our ASers in CA who are making such progress in that state.

Quote from: aragornelessar86 on February 13, 2012, 04:14:52 PM
... but it won't be if the hardworking persecuted 2A activists here get the idea that somehow AS has written CA off as a lost cause.

I can assure you that AS will never "write off" any state - or any American. So long as there is any prospect for success, we will be working hard in every state. There may be times of consolidation; there may even be times of retreat (just as there was, constantly, in the first Revolution); but those really dedicated to the program are likely to be of the belief that "Liberty or Death!" really is the choice - and who in his right mind chooses Death? ;D

Actually, I interpret those words to mean, for us average Americans, that the struggle will continue until we have liberty, or until we die. That we will continue to fight the fight, until we win - or until we die. Hopefully, in terms of this program, where we are looking to be successful in a ten year time span, most of us will live to "see the day". I hope so.

It might interest you to know I've seen posts by people in less restrictive states who seem to be envious that AS appears to be growing fastest in more restrictive states, claiming it's an easier task in those restrictive states for people to understand that time is limited, the writing is on the wall, and they have to get off the couch.

I'm not sure the stats will back up their claim - AS spreads rapidly wherever there are AS volunteers enthused and energized to make it spread. O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Burrito Hand Sam

I think I have hit the end of the trail as far as appleseed is concerned. Apparently I need to take some sensitivity training and aragornelessar86 should look into self esteem class's.
With no rules or guidelines posted anywhere that I could find I was unaware that anyone maybe emotionally traumatized by any reference to KALIFORNISTAN. I also grew up there spent a large chunk of my adult life there and started a family in that state. When I hear references like that I don't get all emotional and butt soar, I except it for what it is, morons that vote out number people with common sense that vote. Anyway if this is the petty bickering that I can expect here I think I will take my rifle and time somewhere else .

MeanStreaker

QuoteAnyway if this is the petty bickering that I can expect here I think I will take my rifle and time somewhere else .

Sorry to stick my nose in over here where it doesn't belong, and I don't necessarily want to emphasize the dispute over a phrase in this thread, but more generally all the disputes like this that seem to be popping up with regularity.......

I'd encourage all of us everywhere to take a second, think about current events happening right now, think about if we truly believe Appleseed can make a difference, and then decide what things are important enough to make us walk away from the effort.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Sly223

For what it's worth,
My SC went to Alaska, last year,
with a large contingent of the CA cadre, @&)
He stated, they were extremely squared away,
knowlegable ,friendly, ..:..
and as competent as our Cadre here in Fl. :cool2:
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

mosinguy

"Don't sweat the small stuff."

my $.02
Join or Die

Fred

Absolutely, moisin, but this guy has prob not been in AS long enough to have heard that.

BTW, I don't see "petty bickering" at all. Someone posted something a bit inappropriate; he was informed of how and why it was inappropriate -  no harm, no foul. And no reason to get excited about it, so far as I can see.

That his reaction was to delete his original post was unnecessary, and it has been restored by a moderator.

We need to figure a way to do a better job of catching newbies and getting them up to speed before stuff like this happens.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

mosinguy

Quote from: Fred on February 14, 2012, 12:28:35 PM
We need to figure a way to do a better job of catching newbies and getting them up to speed before stuff like this happens.

other forums and mailing lists that I'm on have had a welcome letter.  Most forum software can be configured to send out the welcome letter along with the activation key. 

I found the following, which can be further explored by an admin:  http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=141
Join or Die

aragornelessar86

Burrito Hand Sam: I apologize if I was at all offensive. That was not my intent in the least. I know that you don't mean anything bad by what you said, and I don't personally take offense to the lighthearted jesting I know you intended, but my concern was what potential Appleseeders may see when they come to the forum, and how they might interpret that. Because AS relies primarily on word of mouth for promotion, we must be excessively cautious about using language that could turn people away. Believe me, I'm not usually one to censor myself, but I believe strongly in AS and the work we do, and I don't want to take even the slightest risk of repulsing a potential attendee.

Fred, I used to admin a SMF board and it was very easy to set up a welcome letter like mosinguy talked about. I haven't used the newest version of SMF but I imagine it's still there. I can look into it if that would be helpful. Also, the CalGuns forum has added things like Kalifornia and PRK to their swear word filter, so they get censored when someone tries to post them. They don't run SMF but I remember seeing a well-recommended mod for SMF that would do the same thing. Just a couple thoughts.

eaglescouter

Quote from: Burrito Hand Sam on February 10, 2012, 12:08:31 AM
So jan 28, 2012 I shot a 214 ^:)^ on my last AQT at the 1 day only Minot ND appleseed. This was  1 1/2 year's in the making, I attended my first appleseed back on july 24/25, 2010 at glen helen Ca http://http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15492.0, so SoCal gets some credit for the foundation .
  I no longer reside in Ca and have since moved back to America but I will always look back with fondness to those Americans I met through appleseed even though they call "The Peoples Republik of Kalifornistan" home.I wish all my Ca appleseeders they best  and hope that they prevail in spreading the word about the American revolution and the Constitution and that Ca may someday rejoin The USA :D .

Congratulations on your achievement!

And California has now issued 500 Riflemen patches.  Personally I believe that we are making a difference and that the effort is worthy of our time.

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Fred

Quote from: aragornelessar86 on February 14, 2012, 04:27:13 PM
Fred, I used to admin a SMF board and it was very easy to set up a welcome letter like mosinguy talked about. I haven't used the newest version of SMF but I imagine it's still there. I can look into it if that would be helpful. Also, the CalGuns forum has added things like Kalifornia and PRK to their swear word filter, so they get censored when someone tries to post them. They don't run SMF but I remember seeing a well-recommended mod for SMF that would do the same thing. Just a couple thoughts.

I've already contacted our admin, scuzzy, who'll be eventually working on this (he's overloaded with IT stuff to do, presently). If you have the experience with SMF and welcome letters, maybe you can PM him and offer to get the job done. First task will be to write the welcome letter.

Wanna give it a try, and post it here, for others to see and comment on?

Your efforts (and anyone else's) will be most welcome! O0

wcmartin1

Quote from: Fred on February 14, 2012, 06:36:20 PM
Quote from: aragornelessar86 on February 14, 2012, 04:27:13 PM

I've already contacted our admin, scuzzy, who'll be eventually working on this (he's overloaded with IT stuff to do, presently). If you have the experience with SMF and welcome letters, maybe you can PM him and offer to get the job done. First task will be to write the welcome letter.

Wanna give it a try, and post it here, for others to see and comment on?

Your efforts (and anyone else's) will be most welcome! O0

I tried to get this implemented several years ago, but got shot down.

This is the greeting I wrote and sent to all new members on an individual basis up until about the spring of 2009 (the links are no longer valid or visible to most members as the forum has since been revamped). 

I suggested a similar greeting be sent automatically to new members, but at the time it was decided that automation was too impersonal.  :o

Quote from: wcmartin1 on April 07, 2009, 06:36:45 AM
Welcome to the Project Appleseed Forum.

WARNING - YOU HAVE REGISTERED FOR A WORKING SITE (and we're glad you're here  ;D)

The very fact that you're here shows that you are interested in becoming a better shot and are concerned about the path our Great Country is currently taking.

You undoubtedly will learn from the wealth of information and the quality people here on this forum.  I'm sure you'll also make many friends while you're here, but make no mistake (like so many other things in life) you'll only get out what you put into it.

First things first - if you haven't already, PLEASE make sure you include which one of our great United States you currently reside by typing it in the Location field of your Profile NOW.  This will be a big help in ensuring you get the personal attention needed to make the most of your journey.

You may have heard about the Six Steps to firing a shot.  If not, you can learn about them here as these steps are absolutely necessary to maximize your accuracy potential on the firing line.

You will also learn about the Seventh Step which is sharing this information with others (passing it on) and helping pitch in where you can.  This program is about action and we need everyone to help put their shoulder to the Appleseed Cart whenever possible.

Currently there are several specific tasks that we need your help with and they can be found here:  appleseedinfo.org/todo

Consider these items as an initiation test.  It's an easy one, though - follow the link, see what's there, pick something, post any comments/questions/successes, and complete the task.  Once you start you'll see what we mean by the "Joys of Activism" which you can read about here:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2015.0

Welcome again and thanks in advance.  Look forward to hearing from you soon.  Should you have any questions or require additional information, please advise.

Feel free to steal and/or modify as you see fit.

GIT-R-DONE!  :---

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Fred

Thanks, WC. Looks like no good idea ever really dies - and you've provided the base which makes the task much easier.

So now, what else should be in the letter? What links? What suggestions?

I suggest we update it with CPR and some "rules for behavior" which would include an admonition to "not take things personally" and introduce the notion of persistence... What else?

Bear in mind, this is not a letter to a brand new volunteer, but a letter to someone who merely registers on our forum - about 90% never post - perhaps because they are new to forums, perhaps they get lost in the forum maze too quickly?

What could go in the intro letter which would be inspirational and motivational, to such them in to doing what they should be doing, as Americans?

Do we need a "landing ground" for newbies where they can get their feet wet without worrying about tripping over themselves? If so, what shape and content should it be?

Maybe we should put this entire idea on the RFC board?

Sly223

Burrito Hand Sam,
The beauty of a democratic society,
Changes needed have been identified and addressed and action will be taken.
Hopefully minor problem solved.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Fred

Reference making that intro letter valuable to the recipients, here's two recent threads asking for info which could well be incorporated into that intro letter:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27335.0;topicseen

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27046.0;topicseen

I'm sure we have a link or two which addresses what is raised in these threads. If someone will search them out, we can easily put those links into the intro letter.

Also in the intro letter should be some reference to LibSeeds. People need to know that we have an outreach program to other groups, where we'll gladly come and intro them to a heritage they'll be glad to learn they have...

wcmartin1

Quote from: wcmartin1 on February 15, 2012, 12:33:22 AM
Once you start you'll see what we mean by the "Joys of Activism" which you can read about here:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2015.0

Suggestion, Fred - consider digging up this old thread and making it public.  It truly is inspirational.

Regards, Sir.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837