News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Should "History" be publicly accessible?

Started by azmule, February 09, 2012, 06:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

Or at the very least the "Good historical reads" thread?  I get quite a few people asking for book recommendations both in and away from Appleseed shoots, and one attendee of the last Buckeye has begun compiling a list in that AAR.  I was about to direct him to the GHR thread but I see that he can't access that area.  It seems like an easy to find list of recommended historical books and online resources might be a really good thing to have accessible to the public on this forum.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Kaylee

GEmanuel

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

Fred

Have you guys checked to see if there is a "history" board which is publicly accessible?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

GEmanuel

I honestly can't tell if it is publicly available as I have access to it.
It appears to be above the Appleseed Lobby on the menu, which I am under the impression would be the beginning of the public area.
Please advise if this is wrong.  Thanks
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

SPQR

Do we need to make a history board accessible?  Libraries and the internet and all...
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

nyrasgt

Simple answer: yes, relatively obviously...

Semi-simple solution:  collect/collate the various lists of good reads that exist in various areas of the forum
                                   into an Appleseed bibliography sheet that can be included in shoot boxes as well as
                                   being distributed at shows, library-seeds (duh...), and any/all other venues.\
                                   Expect said sheet could also be appended to Instructor/SB manuals for extra-credit
                                   reading...
   I've collected an Appleseed traveling library that I set up on a table at shoots, gun shows (believe was only library at the Albany Gun Show 2/4-5/12).  Contains some 18 books that folks can actually look at, as well as a VHS copy of the 80s film, "April Morning."  Several of the books are picture history books, that nevertheless contain pictures and/or paintings of locations and events of 19 April, 1775...
  Saw lots of people stop and browse the book display, and pick up Appleseed literature distributed among the books...
Excelsior,
madMark   
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

azmule

I don't know how to tell what level permissions are set - I only know that when I'm looking as a "visitor" (without logging in) I can't see it, but after I log in I can.

Quote from: Fred on February 09, 2012, 07:17:54 PM

Have you guys checked to see if there is a "history" board which is publicly accessible?
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda