News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any interest in an IBC in the Duham's Bay area?

Started by Nickle, January 05, 2012, 03:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickle

I'm thinking about getting an IBC set up at the Dunham's Bay club, looking to see how much interest there is.

Looking somewhere in the late February to early April time line.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Another D.O.M.

For those who don't know this, an IBC is not limited to existing RWVA instructors.  Those who are considering becoming an instructor may attend an IBC as well as existing instructors.  You can preregister on EventBrite just like preregistering for a regular Appleseed event, pay your fee and you're in.  The fee is $72.19 for the weekend, and consistent with Appleseed policy, women, those under age 21, active military, LEO, etc. get in for FREE!  Also, if you are an IIT and have already paid to attend an IBC, this one is FREE!  And RWVA Red Hat Instructors also attend for FREE!  All you have to cover is travel, meals and maybe lodging.  Dunham's Bay has a huge meeting area indoors, so you won't even have to go out in the cold.

It's not very often we get to study under a Master Instructor in this part of the country - my recommendation is to answer "Yes" if you're even remotely interested.  We're not looking for a solid commitment - yet - just for a general idea of who's interested.
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Josey Wales

..This is a great idea!!.. and Dunham's Bay, Lake George NY is a great place to do an IBC.  It would be a good idea to open this up to our surrounding neighbor States too.  For Instructor help like Chainsaw from PA,  and Instructors and/or IIT's looking for an IBC from VT, Conn, NH, NJ, Maine, RI, MA...  Come one come all.. 

..........Strength & Honor...................Josey Wales.................................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

nyrasgt

Concur; know ADOM spoke to Sean Garvey, Pres of DB this evening-sure he was supportive of an IBC @ his club.
Also, like last IBC @ DB, should consider, not only opening attendance to entire Northeast instructor cadre, but also stealing part of the day Sunday (perhaps working a bit longer Saturday) and doing road trip 1/2 hr south to the Saratoga National Battlefield in Schuylerville - see precisely where General Frasier fell to Daniel Morgan's Tim Murphy.  Chief Ranger Greg Wozniak @ Saratoga very hospitable to Appleseed; @ last IBC with
crak,Buzzworth, and Firewall99, gave our group a personal musket demo in our own room at the Saratoga
Battlefield headquarters.
   Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Nickle

Going to be a lot of material to cover. A late evening Saturday would ensure enough time to do it.

Now, we also can run a separate local "History Tour" sometime in warmer weather, and I'll even try to squeeze Fred himself to come up. Figure we could start up by Ft Ticonderoga (and Mt Defiance), then hit Mt Independence,  maybe Hubbardton, definitely Saratoga and maybe Bennington Battlefield as well. Most folks don't realize the Bennington battle happened in NY, not VT. It was close to Bennington, but actually in Hoosick, IIRC, but definitely in NY.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Spartan

Nickle,
When are you thinking of having it?  The history part sounds great.  Can even cover Bloody Pond,,,first engagement in history when a militia annihilated a european trained force of soldiers in "the colonies"
"With your shield or on it"

Nickle

Quote from: Spartan on January 06, 2012, 07:39:30 AM
Nickle,
When are you thinking of having it?  The history part sounds great.  Can even cover Bloody Pond,,,first engagement in history when a militia annihilated a european trained force of soldiers in "the colonies"

Good catch, fixed the post to add time frame.

Covering a few lessons from history is always good by me. Most folks know I'm prone to that myself. Hoping you'll be one of the Instructors for the IBC, too.

R1SGx2

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

dakota30

As no weekend was mentioned,
I only get one weekend  off every 8th weekend,
my next weekend off would be March 10/11, 2012 hint hint
Daylight savings time begins on the 11th.

I guess I am saying: I really want to go.

I would bring fresh baked cookies  ;)  (Is there a bribe in the air?)

The Mrs.

I'm in, and I think it safe to say, so is LittleMo.

Gary, 

Since this is open to prospective instructors, you will want to include it in your monthly mailing, just in case someone doesn't see it here.

Sue
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Josey Wales

..I think March 10/11 is a good date.  There are no conflicts with NJ, minimal conflicts in NY ( remember NY is a busy State, & we heve shoots to add still for 2012), and it is enough time to get some IIT's signed up..
..Remember, we need students!! Our NY core Instructors are always ready to help, never a problem there.
..................................................JW..........
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Nickle

Well, I do potentially have some work conflicts (I sell ammo at gun shows), but, if no conflict, that date may well work with me. I think I'm working a show (Morrisville, VT) the weekend before that.

I'll add that the requirements to become an IIT are attendance at 2 Appleseed s and a Rifleman score (not a lucky score, but generally repeatable). One of the Appleseeds is waivable. The Rifleman score is waivable, but must be achieved before becoming a Red Hat. Only an MI can grant waivers, and most folks know I'm pretty amenable to granted them, when warranted (attendance at an IBC plus a good healthy attitude go a long ways towards that).

So, if you've got an Appleseed already behind you, and are interested in diving in and helping, consider attending.

LittleMo

I'm in!

Quote from: The Mrs. on January 06, 2012, 09:10:24 AM
Since this is open to prospective instructors, you will want to include it in your monthly mailing, just in case someone doesn't see it here.
Once the date is set, I will include this in the NY Appleseed email newsletter and on our NYS Appleseed Facebook page. I can also get the word out on nearby states' Appleseed Facebook pages.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Another D.O.M.

I'm awaiting a response from Sean at the club re: available dates.  This will likely be later tonight or tomorrow.  I'll keep everyone posted.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

R1SGx2

Care must be exercised on who attends, the open door because you attended an Appleseed should be thought about, after the second Appleseed they could receive an orange hat unless the second is waived and the rifleman score is waived. And when they find out the commitment, we could find our selves asking, "you know the guy we gave the orange hat to at the IBC, can't find him and haven't seen him again." As one instructor said when A/DOM was trying to locate orange hats (we hand orange hats out like candy). The Orange Hat should and must be earned and respected.

My2 cents.

Nickle

Oh, I can assure you commitment, dedication and what they mean is on the agenda for the IBC.

We'll be covering some other similar things as well.

Nickle

Attending an IBC is a good way to gain the knowledge you'll need to be a great instructor.

As to the IBC, you'll most likely be just fine. If you want a good head start on it, print off a copy of the RWVA Instructor Manual, if you have access to it, put it in document protectors and in a binder, and read it. Not just once, but 3 times or more.

You will be building a book like this at the IBC, so you have one for future reference.

Nickle

And, I wouldn't worry too much about not making the grade at the IBC. No guarantees of successful completion, but it's hard to fail one. Academically speaking, we'll drag you through it, if need be.

Another D.O.M.

I've received a reply from Sean Garvey at Dunham's Bay:

Jan 14,15,22nd, Feb 18,19,26, March 4,10 are all taken dates. There is a meeting this Wednesday, so if you email me your request before then it would be best.

Sean Garvey

kDan

Posting in order to follow this thread.  I'm interested.  Need a refresher myself. 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: nyrasgt on January 06, 2012, 01:13:57 AMConcur; know ADOM spoke to Sean Garvey, Pres of DB this evening-sure he was supportive of an IBC @ his club.
Also, like last IBC @ DB, should consider, not only opening attendance to entire Northeast instructor cadre, but also stealing part of the day Sunday (perhaps working a bit longer Saturday) and doing road trip 1/2 hr south to the Saratoga National Battlefield in Schuylerville - see precisely where General Frasier fell to Daniel Morgan's Tim Murphy.  Chief Ranger Greg Wozniak @ Saratoga very hospitable to Appleseed; @ last IBC with
crak,Buzzworth, and Firewall99, gave our group a personal musket demo in our own room at the Saratoga
Battlefield headquarters.
   Excelsior,
madMark
I strongly recommend that if we're to run an Appleseed instructor training program, we should stick to Appleseed.  The Saratoga Battlegrounds are a wonderful place to visit and rich with our nation's history, but they have nothing to do with what we do at Appleseed events, and such a field trip would serve no purpose in the advancement of instructors within the program (which is, after all, the purpose of an IBC).

It is one thing to ask our dedicated volunteers to give up a weekend to help advance the mission of the program.  It is another entirely to ask them to commit to an extended day on Saturday so that we can stray off-mission on Sunday.
MJA

sgtrock

I agree with ADOM on this one, There is just too much material to cover at an IBC to let things get off course, Site seeing can be done on their own time if they wish. Stick to the curriculum as it is a Safety Class as well as a How to Teach at an Appleseed Class. Making sure people know how to do their jobs and teach is more important at this time in their AS careers.

sgtrock

R1SGx2

CharlieHotel

I would definately be interested, as long as I'm free whenever it get's scheduled... Always looking to sponge some knowledge.

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

crak

I may just be full of crap but I thought the first trip out to Saratoga was 100% on mission.  You don't have to get too creative to find the lessons the men of 4/19/1775 left us happening all over again a few years later and a few hundred miles away.  Heck, some of them were the same men. 

Guess it depends what you do there and where your mind's at. 

Besides, after a full 12 hour day in the clubhouse listening to each other butcher the steady hold factors I can't believe nobody stabbed me in the neck the one time I held sunday indoors.
Check your drama at the door.

sgtrock

Quote from: crak on January 09, 2012, 08:29:00 PM
I may just be full of crap but I thought the first trip out to Saratoga was 100% on mission.  You don't have to get too creative to find the lessons the men of 4/19/1775 left us happening all over again a few years later and a few hundred miles away.  Heck, some of them were the same men. 

Guess it depends what you do there and where your mind's at. 

Besides, after a full 12 hour day in the clubhouse listening to each other butcher the steady hold factors I can't believe nobody stabbed me in the neck the one time I held sunday indoors.

3 Day IBC's, check your guns and knives at the door. :pop:

crak

Check your drama at the door.

Nickle

OK, some thoughts here.

3 day IBC's - I'm against them. Better to keep them 2 days, so we get better attendance.

Last Saratoga IBC may have been a day and a half. I'll almost guarantee the IBC POI is changing real soon, as in prior to the upcoming one at Dunham's Bay. Long overdue for change, too. The existing IBC POI is from 4 years ago, IIRC, and things were noticed that were off at the first IBC. The changing of it is not new, but something that's been in the works for about a year or more.

One thing we can do is a History Tour or History Boot Camp, where we get the IIT's and Red Hats together to do a history tour. We could easily spend a week at that, and just cover the basics. Maybe break it up into 2 trips, one weekend on Battlefield Road in Mass, another starting at Ft Ticonderoga, ending at Saratoga, by way of Mt Defiance, Mt Independence (not to be missed), Hubbardton and Bennington. That would cover a lot of what's local, and there are some good lessons to learn. We ought to drag Fred up as well, especially to Mt Independence. Think it was tough at Valley Forge? Mt Independence was worse.

Another D.O.M.

How about a date?  We have a club meeting tomorrow night at DB and Sean would like to propose a date.
MJA

Nickle

I'm not really able to set a date right now. Let's work the reverse direction, and see what dates the facility is available first. I know they used to run a Winter Benchrest League there, and that was every other weekend back then.