News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AR-15 lowers group buy (LRB)

Started by kDan, December 26, 2011, 09:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

http://lrbarms.com/m15sareceivers.html

LRB arms, right here in Floral Park.  I remember about three years ago, the New England Instructors got together and bought a bunch of lowers and even went so far as to put them together en masse.

Anyone?

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Josey Wales

..Yes.. kDan you can count me in on that........ :---
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Another D.O.M.

I have no idea what I'm getting into here, but count me in.  Guess it's time for some research on building an AR...

Thanks Dan!
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

VietVet

OK.....I have a question.
Dan you know I always have one.

It clearly states "Dealers Only".

How we getting around that?
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

kDan

We get an ffl to file the paperwork.  I know a couple, Instructors even.

Quote from: VietVet on December 28, 2011, 04:22:40 PM

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

CharlieHotel

Well, heck... You can never have too many AR's! I'm in too.

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

VietVet

Quote from: kDan on December 28, 2011, 04:42:07 PM
We get an ffl to file the paperwork.  I know a couple, Instructors even.

Quote from: VietVet on December 28, 2011, 04:22:40 PM

OK....I'm in!
                                    OUR

kDan

So let's see that's

kDan               -  1
Josey Wales     -  1
ADOM              -  1
VietVet            -  1
Charlie Hotel    -  6

we're ready to go!!

Anybody else?  Price goes down every 10...

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

For those that may need this........

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower

Just a little tip. When you get around to assembling your lower do it in a large plastic zip lock bag. When the spring go flying (and most likely they will) you won't lose them.
                                    OUR

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: VietVet on December 28, 2011, 06:03:30 PMFor those that may need this........

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower

Just a little tip. When you get around to assembling your lower do it in a large plastic zip lock bag. When the spring go flying (and most likely they will) you won't lose them.
On behalf of the class of citizens this information pertains to - I thank you!   O0
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Burnett

As much help as the ar15.com link is, I think the Brownell's videos are even better.
Click on "Instructional Videos" at the bottom of the page linked below.

http://www.ar15builder.com/

citation04

guys friendly remidner don't forget that you will need to assemble this upper in post ban config.
:(
also for anyone who hasn't bought a stripped lower in a while, the ATF has changed the way they treat these purchases. they closed a loophole that nobody really knew existed or cared about. they are no longer treated as either a rifle or pistol when you pick it up from your ffl, they are now put in  a third category -other or multi. I guess the reason was that apparently a stripped lower that could be built into a pistol and technically available to those under 21 which is illegal, so this efffectively prevents the purchase by anyone under 21... just something be aware of when they make the nics call.
"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That's the first thing they teach you."

Roland

The AR-15 guides are great. One tip: Make sure you have the hammer spring assembled correctly, as they are a bit fuzzy in this area. And if you put it on backwards, it only works for a few shots. Don't ask me how I know this! Also, you will be spending approximately the same amount of time assembling the lower as you do looking for the blasted front pivot pin spring.

It's a shame I just bought a PSA lower, or I would definitely be joining in on this.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

citation04

Quote from: Roland on December 29, 2011, 05:00:12 PM
Also, you will be spending approximately the same amount of time assembling the lower as you do looking for the blasted front pivot pin spring.

Roland

quoted for truth. What a lot of people like to do, myself included is whenever you start messing with the pivot spring, or any of the other small springs that must be worked under tension is to try to find a nice long roll of scrap carpet, roll this out over your work bench and hopefully when you send your first of what may be many springs flying into space, the carpet should hopefully bed them down and make them easier to find.
"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That's the first thing they teach you."

k0sh

Might be interesting to get a head count and check with a few different lower makers to see what you can work out for that type of volume.  I'm thinking specifically of Palmetto State Armory, who just had a regular sale price of $50 for their lowers.

VietVet

Quote from: k0sh on January 02, 2012, 01:03:46 PM
Might be interesting to get a head count and check with a few different lower makers to see what you can work out for that type of volume.  I'm thinking specifically of Palmetto State Armory, who just had a regular sale price of $50 for their lowers.

Yes....kDan is aware of this. We spoke about these this past Saturday. I believe he's looking into them.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1560.php
                                    OUR

gunville

Or you could just do a group buy of plum crazy lowers...  $119 compete with typical discounts at 5 units

100% synthetic (which is a kind way of saying plastic)

By complete lower I mean that includes trigger group butt stock pistol grip etc.  And it is all plastic.. eh synthetic...

You'll have to pin the stock because here in NY many people have been killed by telescopic stocks, so we've gone and made that an evil features.

Before you turn up your nose, remember they turned up their noses at Gaston Glock.
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

TN_Dadx5

how can a guy from TN get in this?
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Roland

Quote from: gunville on January 02, 2012, 08:59:39 PM
Or you could just do a group buy of plum crazy lowers...  $119 compete with typical discounts at 5 units

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=15771 Sounds all right for some uses, but not for others. It's a good review, seems to be honest to me.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

CharlieHotel

Ha! Just saw this... I thought we were buying 12 each?!

CH

Quote from: kDan on December 28, 2011, 05:41:02 PM
So let's see that's

kDan               -  1
Josey Wales     -  1
ADOM              -  1
VietVet            -  1
Charlie Hotel    -  6

we're ready to go!!

Anybody else?  Price goes down every 10...
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: TN_Dadx5 on January 02, 2012, 10:47:57 PMhow can a guy from TN get in this?
Hmmm...  You could move to NY ;)

kDan - any advice for our fellow instructor?

nyrasgt

kDan et. al.,
   1) Add 2 for madMark, and
   2)  ANYone can participate, IF he/she has an FFL to whom their purchase(s) can be sent, who will then make the required background check call for the purchaser before he/she can take delivery...same exact process as used to participate in the Instructor Purchase Program from Ruger, Smith,or Henry...neither are specific to any given state - just require assistance from a local FFL (and they frequently require a fee).
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

TinCan

Here's a bit of Appleseed history-
Did you know that Lou and LRB were very supportive of the first Appleseed held in NYS?  Yes, it was at Calverton.  Not only did they show up for the shoot, they brought toys to look at and some gifts for all that attended.
These are great folks.

dart67eb

Now that's funny!  I don't care who you are.

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on January 03, 2012, 04:58:44 PM
Quote from: TN_Dadx5 on January 02, 2012, 10:47:57 PMhow can a guy from TN get in this?

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

kDan

Quote from: TinCan on January 04, 2012, 12:37:06 AM
Here's a bit of Appleseed history-
Did you know that Lou and LRB were very supportive of the first Appleseed held in NYS?  Yes, it was at Calverton.  Not only did they show up for the shoot, they brought toys to look at and some gifts for all that attended.
These are great folks.

Lou at LRB was the guy who told me to set up another Calverton.  Were you at the first one?  He said it was a bit nuts, but good to meet Fred and we should do it again.  We've done it about 15 agains.

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on January 03, 2012, 04:58:44 PM

I'm not big on giving advice but can say for sure moving up here is not part of what I would come up with...   :-\

Other than that, the more the merrier.  We'll see what we can do.  I'll start the process.  With those replying by pm, we've got almost 20.  There are some cheaper deals out there, but I like LRB, they're practically in Queens, and we can always direct the momentum in another direction if it's a slam-dunk.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

TinCan

Yup, I was there.  Those were the days before Appleseed had any presence here.  I had attended a shoot in eastern PA the year before and accepted the instructor's challenge to further the cause and take Appleseed back to NY.  I contacted Appleseed after talking to Harry and seeing what Calverton had to offer.  Jack sent Cabinboy up from Atlanta (no longer w/ Appleseed) to look the range over.  After I got the go ahead, I negotiated a deal with Harry, picked a date and got the ball rolling.  It turned out I was the only boots on the ground here: distributed flyers and posters, made the phone calls, bought the supplies, took the reservations, provided doughnuts and drinks, collected the money, paid Harry and ran the "colors" up a makeshift flagpole.  Quite a day.
You mentioned that Lou said it was a bit nuts that day.  I'm not sure exactly what he meant, but I thought it went well, especially taking into account it was a first time. 
There was some internet chatter at that time that we might run into some legal/LEO issues and get shut down/ arrested.  Just a few weeks before there was a planned shoot in California where "threats" were made and the shoot was cancelled.   I don't remember all the details on what took place, but they were interesting times.
One thing I recall is how amazed Jack (Fred) and the other instructors (Jr Birdman, Guy?) were that the Calverton area was so rural.  I guess they were expecting Manhattan.

Nickle

I've got some experience building AR's. I have the proper manuals and I think the tools as well, but, what I'm short on tools is on my list to buy anyways.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Dakota

If this gets off the ground, keep me posted.
I'm in for one, but I'll do more if the price is right.
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

dart67eb

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

kDan

I will be putting this all together starting next week.  Between this thread and the pm's we're close to thirty. 

Anybody else?

-d-
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout