News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Yakima, Washington, October 15-16, 2011

Started by Reformed Redneck, October 17, 2011, 11:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reformed Redneck

To all,

This past weekend was the best weather for an Appleseed event that I have seen in a long time. Very pleasant temperatures both days, and an almost complete absence of wind. Who could ask for better conditions?

First off, congratulations to those who scored Rifleman scores this weekend. Brian repeated his Rifleman scores from his previous Appleseed, Bobby joined the ranks of our Dangerous Old Men (welcome aboard Bobby), and Jim showed a Rifleman's persistence in overcoming a number of obstacles to obtain his Patch. In addition, Brian agreed to take up the Orange hat, and Bobby wants to attend his second event and do the same.

We had a number of shooters who are really, really close to their Patches; like within a few points. I urge you all to persist and overcome, and develop that Rifleman character that you have already displayed. That qualification is within your grasp already, you need to just push a little throughout the final barrier.

The younger shooters were great examples of persistence as well, working through a variety of physical and equipment difficulties towards measureable improvement during the weekend. To the youngsters: Continue in this, and you will set the standard for your generation. You displayed an admirable character quality.

To those who did not get as close to the Rifleman standard as you had hoped or anticipated: Stick with it. Practice the techniques we sought to teach you. These techniques work if you will employ them. And read some history in the mean time as well.

Our Instructor staff did an admirable job of handling the many adjustments that were required during this event. Many thanks for your commitment. You are Riflemen all!

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Prescott

I was glad that I was able to be part of this AS in Yakima.   This was my first time at this range, and we had a great weekend to learn about Marksmanship and Heritage.   All if the Heritage stories were top notch, and I even heard a few stories that I had not heard before.

Congratulations to the our new Riflemen, Bobby and Jim.  I knew that Jim was going to bring out his inner Riflemen and as he was very open to instruction and feedback and his Marksman showed the results.   Bobby was already a gifted shooter and showed us how much of a Dangerous Old Man he is by shooting many Rifleman AQT scores using a bolt action rifle.

Brian also did great by re-qualifying as a Riflemen and many thanks for picking up an Orange hat and helping us grow AS in the Pacific NW.   We are getting so many new enthusiastic Orange Hats, that we we are going to have to find more ranges to keep them all busy.

I enjoyed working with all the other shooting and junior shooters and to witness the improvement they made throughout the weekend.  I am very proud of their perseverance and the teachable attitude they brought to the range this weekend.

It was a pleasure working with all the instructors this weekend and getting some mentoring under Reformed Redneck.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

TruTenacity

As always the range is a great place to spend one's weekend.  It is even better when that weekend at the range is spent with folks wanting to learn about their American Heritage and rifle marksmanship. 

The youth made good progress this weekend.  Andrew, it was great seeing how much you remembered since last you were at an event.  James, Carisa, and Jennifer, thanks for joining your brother.  I hope to see you again real soon.  Hayden, there is never a dull moment when you're with us on the line.  To the other two youth, congratulations on persevering through equipment issues.

Wayne (Sparkss on the forum), thanks for outfitting your kids and bringing them to Yakima to join you on the line.  I can't believe you had so many problems with your scope and sights on the other rifles coming loose.  You continued to listen and worked hard at applying the six steps to firing a shot.  You'll get there.  Just be patient and don't forget to dry fire.

Heather, thanks for making the drive to attend your second Appleseed.  Settle down and relax.  Your rifleman status isn't a fluke.  You'll get more qualifying scores in the near future.

Curtis and Stacey, sorry the AQT grind was later in the day than you hoped.  With both of you scoring in the 200s you'll each earn the badge in no time.

Eric, thanks for coming out.  I guess you and your friend will have to attend an event together to see who gets the badge first, but remember a badge isn't what makes a rifleman.

Jen, you were so diligent.  Bring out your center fire next time.

Bobby (IC2(SS)19Z50C5 on the forum), thanks for being a walk-on and joining us this weekend.  Amazing scores (230s) with your bolt action savage.  And your love for history is admirable.  We can't wait to have you attend a second event and join the instructor cadre.  There's an Orange Hat with your name on it just waiting for you.

Brian, Jim, Steve and the others, I missed having a chance to work with you on the upper line.  Thank you for your involvement this weekend.  Brian, thanks for taking on the Orange Hat.  You'll be handed one and then put to work at the next event you come to.  Congratulations, Jim, on earning your Rifleman's badge.  We have an Orange Hat waiting for you too.

Western Rose and Evenstar weren't with us this weekend.  Their abilities as instructors were sorely missed.  Their prolific happy finger on the camera was also missed.  I did my best to fill their shoes though I only took a fraction of the number of photos they usually take.  Rizzin had a camera too.  I'm sure he'll post a few pictures soon.

Sunrise on our way to the range

OnlyHitsCount telling the historical events that led up to the Three Strikes of the Match

Wayne (Sparkss on the forum) and three of his kids giving attention to OHC

Reformed Redneck and Still Learnin' also giving their attention to OHC

Winkin not Blinkin, thanks for your diligent work as Applecore and as an Orange Hat.

Prescott giving instruction

Rizzin teaching the 6 Steps of Firing a Shot

06en telling the 1st Strike of the Match.  Good job!

Listening to American Heritage during lunch

The lower line during lunch on Saturday

Bobby (IC2(SS)19Z50C5 on the forum) will be donning the Orange Hat soon!

Scenic view at our backs

A token "artsy" picture ... (At least I tried, girls.)

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

IC2(SS)19Z50C5

It was a pleasure and honor to shoot with all of you this past weekend!!! Just so you know, I have one of my "Redcoat Targets" proudly displayed above my work bench at the shop ay my work at YTC..
B/R,  a "Dangerous Old Man"...

"Hits Count"
Life Member of:
NRA, WSR&P Assc, MMA, USSVI, & VFW
Member of AL, Associate Member of U.S.SubVets of WWII and a Member of Tin Can Sailors.org

"Hits Count"
Life Member of:
NRA, WSR&P Assc, MMA, USSVI, VFW, EANGUS & V.H.A.
Member of AL, Associate Member of U.S.SubVets of WWII,
Tin Can Sailors.org, and an Associate member of the 4th ID Association

Rizzin

Had a fantastic weekend. Weather was almost perfect even if at times it had trouble making up its mind if it was perfect with sweatshirts or without.

Brian and Jim, didn't get to your end of the line that much but you both seemed to have it under control and just need the time to practice and assimilate what you had learned as evidenced by your rifleman scores.

Lauren and Ashley, it was incredible to be able to work with you both this weekend and you did a wonderful job even with the problems you both had with the rifles not fitting you. Get dad into bringing to more Appleseeds.

Tor, NPOA shifts and follow through on that trigger. Dry-fire practice.

Hayden, Trigger side knee buddy and Rifleman's Cadence, slow down a little bit.

The rest of those who were on the other line, sorry I did not get to spend time with you but come out again.

Now for the part people are really waiting for.....  The pictures!
I did not get as many as I normally do (much less how many our Favorite NW photographer does) but with some help from still'learning I did get some.

For all 39 Pictures click here

fyrediver

I want to thank all of the staff at the Yakima Appleseed for putting on a great event.  I managed to learn more history and continue to refine my marksmanship.  I had a very good time and look forward to seeing all of you soon. 

I've started reading the Instructor information section of the forum;  a LOT to learn.  I'm looking forward to continuing on with Appleseed and the challenges and rewards that it holds.

George Hacker

Quote from: fyrediver on October 21, 2011, 12:58:18 AM
I've started reading the Instructor information section of the forum;  a LOT to learn.  I'm looking forward to continuing on with Appleseed and the challenges and rewards that it holds.
Most excellent!  I'm looking forward to seeing you again and working with you on the Appleseed trail.  ^:)^

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9