News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Centerton, AR. Oct 15-16, 2011

Started by spitstickler, October 17, 2011, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

The inaugural Appleseed event at Nighthawk Custom Training Academy in Centerton, Arkansas took place this past weekend and it was a blast! Starfox and I arrived at the new range early Saturday morning to find the target line in place and the firing line marked off, ready for attendees to arrive. Jon, Frank, and several other folks from the range were already there ready to help us out with anything we might need. At a new location you always hope for the best, but you really never know what to expect until you see it with your own eyes. These fine folks had everything squared away as promised. Great folks, great range, and their hospitality was second to none.

We had a dozen shooters to start us off. The Detter family showed up as repeat Appleseeders. Their three girls had obviously soaked in instruction from previous events and they started out shooting well and kept it up all weekend. We had two father and son teams, a few folks flying solo and small groups of friends to round out the firing line. Jon's wife Kim soon arrived on the scene, camera in hand and took pics throughout the day which you can see here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.136256626474860.20488.136233673143822

The day proceeded well. The instruction was sinking in. The history was sinking in. We finished the 3rd strike and promptly moved to shoot our "Parker's Revenge" end of the day red coat. Well, Captain Parker would have been proud. Our tired and sore shooters doubled their percentages from out opening volley in the morning.   ^:)^

Sunday we had five returning shooters. The Detter family was back for more as well as Kevin and Claus. They were all shooting well and our morning review of the instruction went very quickly. We actually shot at least 2 AQTs before we broke for lunch. Lots of promising scores, but no one had broken 210 yet. During our first target after lunch, Andrew gave a good mental pep talk and the scores soared! Libby was the first to cross the threshold and was soon followed by Jennifer who shot consistent 220-230 for the rest of the afternoon. Their other sister, Kat would surely have made it as well if her rifle would have cooperated with her. I like Kat's style.  8)  She ran a bolt gun all weekend and cleaned the final red coat of the event.

Kevin, Claus you guys shot well and you all have what it takes. ...as do the rest of the bunch. Keep at it and you'll be there in short order.  :~ I hope you ALL feel like you made a great choice this weekend by coming out. We certainly talked a lot about choices this weekend and I truly hope that you all will do some continued thinking in this regard. Bring all your friends out next time. I'm sure they'll forgive you for hogtying them later! :) (If they don't just come back to Appleseed and find yourself some new friends!!!  ;D )

Andrew, sincerest of thanks for driving and joining me on this trip. It certainly wouldn't have been the same without you. To Jon and the rest of the crew at Nighthawk it was a great pleasure to meet you. Thank you so much for supporting the Appleseed Program and opening up your facility to us. I really hope to meet you all again on down the trail.  And Jason Moore... You sir, are one outstanding gentleman Rifleman! You have taken the Arkansas reigns and are whipping things into shape quickly in your state. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

-Kirk

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

starfox

Not a whole lot to say beyond what spitstickler has said. 

Appleseed almost dropped the ball here, and it would have been a shame because the range is super supportive of our program!  Jon, Frank, and everyone were the best hosts our program could ask for. 

Here in Texas, we always have each other's backs, and there was no way I was going to let Kirk field this one alone.  I was very humbled by the Detter gals' shooting, and I am glad that my little pep talk regarding the mental aspect of shooting connected with the shooters.  It was wonderful to see Kevin and Claus, who had been engaging in good natured ribbing turn their banter to the positive, and their scores certainly reflected it.

I am sure this range will turn into the premier range in Arkansas.  It was a long, hard weekend, but I regret none of it, and am better for seeing about the best group of Americans I've ever seen at an Appleseed reconnect with their heritage! 
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

SigEp7182003

Well like Andrew said, Texas always has each others backs, well Texas has had Arkansas's back every since I took over state coordinator and for that I thank you.  Sorry I was not able to be there this weekend but as long as John is willing there will be other apple seeds there thit I will attend. As for the shooters that scored rifleman, great job. I hear y'all may be interested in taking a blue hat. If so just give me a call or email me. I will need a lot Of help promoting apple seed yalls way. 8702109012. jasonbryanmoore@yahoo.com

Again thank you Kirk and Andrew. It means a lot to Arkansas.
Officer
Jason Moore

Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the fellow who wins is the fellow who thinks he can.

POP

Stargnoc & Sknaht Xofrats & relkcitstips.

or
Congrats & Thanks, Starfox and Spitstickler.  (I think Louisiana is rubbing off on me ... well maybe a little.)

You guys really saved the day and I'm sure all Appleseeddom appreciates your efforts.

Great pics. 
POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Texas Rifleman

Great jobs guys.
Ya'll really saved out bacon.
I was not able to attend due to the late call.
My hat's off to those that did make the "late call".
Dave
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

Texas Rifleman

Davilla - 5/09

AuntieBellum

Whoa...wait a minute there.   Is that SHADE?  I might just have to come back to Arkansas again after all.   ;)  Congrats on a great weekend, everyone!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Scarecrow

If not for the Goldsby shoot in OK I would have been here.
Goldsby/TriCityGunClub had been in the works for over a year. (I am a member)
All available OK instructors were needed for TCGC-AS.
Any Arkansas shoot needing help just  :sos:  .
We will border raid as best we can.
Oklahoma wants Arkansas AS program to succeed.

spitstickler

Thanks Scarecrow. Stay tuned.... Jon (the range owner) wants to do another event in December and it'll need to be staffed.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

henschman

Yep spitsticker, we missed you in Goldsby, but I'm glad you were able to take care of Arkansas.  I've had those Detter gals on my line before, and they definitely know what they are about.  Good job!
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Texas Rifleman

Kirk,
The second the Dec shoot is posted let me know so I can plan for it.
Davilla - 5/09